Jorge Masvidal is one of the most overrated fighters in MMA at the moment

Toner

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

Jorge Masvidal got inverse triangled by a natural FW in Toby Imada.

Masvidal also has recent losses against Bellator WW/LWs Lorenz Larkin and Benson Henderson. Masvidal is 3-3 in his last 6 fights. Somehow he is ranked #4 in the UFC's weak WW division.

He may be a top 5 WW in the UFC but he's not a top 5 WW in the world.

Douglas Lima, Rory, Larkin (again), and Koreshkov all beat Masvidal. Paul Daley might beat him again too.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
I have to agree. I was ready to buy some tickets for his hype train, after the Cerrone fight, but the Maia fight showed me that he can't back-up his rhetoric.

I think he is a "woulda coulda shoulda" fighter. He will have good performances and make you believe that he has turned a corner, but then underperform shortly afterwards.

5328104-352-k804002.jpg

His fight against Cerrone then proves Cerrone is done. Getting dominated by such an overrated fighter.

Idk I think he's ranked right where he should be. He's a tough out for anyone at WW and managed to survive Demian Maia backpacking him for most of their fight. Also, he knocked out Cowboy who was ranked pretty high at WW which would explain his #4 spot.

Last edited:
Lol. If you're using 10 year old fights you could make most fighters on the roster look bad.

The losses to Benson and Larkin were split decisions.

I thought he beat Maia, judges had it different. Jorge nullified Maia and inflicted damage.

If anything I think Masvidal is one of the most hated fighters. He doesn't get his due props because he seems to rub certain people the wrong way.

You have to really dig deep into his record to really try and embarrass Masvidal, and that's because he has improved. In all of his latest loses Maia, Larkin, Henderson, and Iaquinta Masvidal gave all of his opponents hard fights or arguably beat them.

Masvidal is a beast, and I'm excited to see his championship potential. I personally thought this guys career was going to take a nose dive after the Larkin lose. I've been pleasantly surprised, and won over since.

I see Masvidal the same way I look at Mousasi. The guy is competitive against anyone but is often in close fight.

I think he has a good chance at beating anyone as far as skills

He's a good fighter but he lets fights slip away. Its like he's so cocky he thinks hes winning when he isnt

I thought he beat Maia, judges had it different. Jorge nullified Maia and inflicted damage.

If anything I think Masvidal is one of the most hated fighters. He doesn't get his due props because he seems to rub certain people the wrong way.

You have to really dig deep into his record to really try and embarrass Masvidal, and that's because he has improved. In all of his latest loses Maia, Larkin, Henderson, and Iaquinta Masvidal gave all of his opponents hard fights or arguably beat them.

Masvidal is a beast, and I'm excited to see his championship potential. I personally thought this guys career was going to take a nose dive after the Larkin lose. I've been pleasantly surprised, and won over since.

If you call nullifying having a guy ride your back for 10 mins

Dude is tough fight for anybody, always has been.

His biggest flaw unquestionably is coasting in fights after he wins the first round.

I didn't disagree with the decision in his fight against Raging Al because he didn't do anything to win after the first round. He just tried to ride out a decision.

Masvidal is a tough out for literally anyone in the WW division. An easy nights work it never is.

If you call nullifying having a guy ride your back for 10 mins
Everyone knows what Maia is all about and Masvidal still almost pulled it off, all while being at a huge size disadvantage. Maia is a former MW, and Masvidal is a former LW which really showed in the cage.

I shouldn't be making excuses for the guys, but I think all of these points are valid, and makes his performance in that fight all the more impressive.

Jorge Masvidal got inverse triangled by a natural FW in Toby Imada.

Masvidal also has recent losses against Bellator WW/LWs Lorenz Larkin and Benson Henderson. Masvidal is 3-3 in his last 6 fights. Somehow he is ranked #4 in the UFC's weak WW division.

He may be a top 5 WW in the UFC but he's not a top 5 WW in the world.

Douglas Lima, Rory, Larkin (again), and Koreshkov all beat Masvidal. Paul Daley might beat him again too.

Masvidal has also lost to a BW in Raphael Assuncao.

Thoughts?

How about his wins? Cowboy Cerrone? Overrated win? I felt he won the fight against Iaquinta too.

Fighters improve. Or is it ok to call every fighter overrated by bringing up their past losses.

Jorge is extremely underrated and has been his entire career.

Lol ts please look at his resume, how many other fighters have that type of longevity??
He had a war with prime gilbert melendez ALL the way back in strike force, and still to this day hes ranked top 5 in a division above his natural weight class.

At this rate masvidal will have over 50 pro mma fights, all at the highest level of the sport..
Underrated if anything

I agree he wouldn't be ranked as high as now if WW wasn't so weak and we usually agree on this shit about WW being horrible at the moment.. but come on Toner, man you cant tell me you wouldn't pick Masvidal to beat Tyrones ass.

Back