Jorge Masvidal is one of the most overrated fighters in MMA at the moment

That was 8 years ago. He is not the most overrated fighter, he is the most full of himself fighter. Big difference.

Not to make any excuses but the guys he lost to are not Jobbers, I would almost have to agree with you except he really is not that popular among the fans.
The media does the rankings and we all know they kiss the fighters ass to get interviews they can draw ratings from. Karyn Bryant is the biggest ass
kisser of all of the media outlets and she has tried taking Hewani's place by being negative about everything so you can thank her for some of the stupid
ranking problems.

He's just one of those fighters that's difficult to look good against. Also, WW is just weak atm, so I think his placing makes sense.

Jorge Masvidal got inverse triangled by a natural FW in Toby Imada.

Masvidal also has recent losses against Bellator WW/LWs Lorenz Larkin and Benson Henderson. Masvidal is 3-3 in his last 6 fights. Somehow he is ranked #4 in the UFC's weak WW division.

He may be a top 5 WW in the UFC but he's not a top 5 WW in the world.

Douglas Lima, Rory, Larkin (again), and Koreshkov all beat Masvidal. Paul Daley might beat him again too.

Thoughts?

dismissive.gif

I like how when people bring up losses, sometimes nearly 10 years after the loss to discredit them in the current day. Lots of high level fighters had losses early in their careers, it doesn't change where they are now.

I have to agree. I was ready to buy some tickets for his hype train, after the Cerrone fight, but the Maia fight showed me that he can't back-up his rhetoric.

I think he is a "woulda coulda shoulda" fighter. He will have good performances and make you believe that he has turned a corner, but then underperform shortly afterwards.
well said man. He's clearly talented. When he wins he looks really good, however when he loses it's usually uneventful.

Losing to Douglas Lima is nothing to be ashamed of, that dude is one of the best in any organisation at his weight. He smashed Killa Bee into a bloody pulp twice. That said, I agree with the comments about Jorge coasting. His feints and shit are hard to read and he has a weird and unpredictable tempo, but his cardio seems to hold him back from finishing people he is arguably more technically skilled than.

That's khabib , only two top five wins and people claim he is the shit .

Not many people have survived and damaged Maia. Masvidal is a great fighter but obviously terribly inconsistent

I see Masvidal the same way I look at Mousasi. The guy is competitive against anyone but is often in close fight.

I think he has a good chance at beating anyone as far as skills
Mousasi blasts through 90% of his opponents...

He was probably one on of the most underrated before he beat Cowboy, now everybody thinks of him as a world beater.

Weird that you think that @Toner , because I know you're a good poster. 1) Masvidal getting caught by Imada is ancient history (I mean, come on dude...) 2) Let's forget Masvidal's tendency to cruise if fights as soon as he is slightly ahead. If you just look at the skills he has shown in all areas of the game, including grappling, you have to rank him ahead of most of the guys you listed. Yes he fucks up sometimes but he is the epitome of the top 5 dark horse.

It's not possible to be more overrated than Conor McGregor.

idk this is kind of a case of someone simply looking at the record and making a statement without watching the fight, henderson and larkin were competitive fights that couldve arguably gone either way and no one was really robbed, and his fight with iaquinta was just flat out a poor decision and the crowds reaction reflected that

who do you think should be #4 as oppose to him? because looking at the rankings i can't really see a good argument for anyone else in the division

He's a bit and cold fighter. Always has been.

Once he stops coasting, then he'll have a chance at the belt.

Back