Jorge Masvidal is one of the most overrated fighters in MMA at the moment

The irony is once you see threads like this, confirms the validity of a fighter.

Where have all the Welterweights gone? This used to be the UFC's strongest division

Being ranked #4 contender in a shallow division now makes someone the most overrated fighter in MMA? Lmao shit thread

I thought he beat Maia, judges had it different. Jorge nullified Maia and inflicted damage.

If anything I think Masvidal is one of the most hated fighters. He doesn't get his due props because he seems to rub certain people the wrong way.

You have to really dig deep into his record to really try and embarrass Masvidal, and that's because he has improved. In all of his latest loses Maia, Larkin, Henderson, and Iaquinta Masvidal gave all of his opponents hard fights or arguably beat them.

Masvidal is a beast, and I'm excited to see his championship potential. I personally thought this guys career was going to take a nose dive after the Larkin lose. I've been pleasantly surprised, and won over since.
you said it right there. 'or arguably beat them'. which means he didnt beat them. masvidal is the greatest decision machine ever, and has to be a record holder for split decisions.

Jorge Masvidal got inverse triangled by a natural FW in Toby Imada.

Masvidal also has recent losses against Bellator WW/LWs Lorenz Larkin and Benson Henderson. Masvidal is 3-3 in his last 6 fights. Somehow he is ranked #4 in the UFC's weak WW division.

He may be a top 5 WW in the UFC but he's not a top 5 WW in the world.

Douglas Lima, Rory, Larkin (again), and Koreshkov all beat Masvidal. Paul Daley might beat him again too.

Thoughts?

Nice, why not post a pic of Anderson Silva getting leglocked by Chonan while you're at it?

His standup is as good as any in the division, and Maia himself said he's got the best jj he's faced in the UFC so far.

I'd pick him to beat Woodley.

well, if you're right, people shouldnt agree - and then you can show you're right later - if people actually agree, then hes not overrated

i feel the same though - not because he got triangled a long time ago, but just because people are really up on him for beating up cerrone (which is a tailor made matchup for him) - he then impressed by not getitng submitted by maia - hes a great fighter but at this point, i dont see a reason to pick him over thompson

Last edited:
No Nate Diaz is.

Masvidal actually fights. Diaz sits on his couch smoking weed and only wants to get off it to fight Irish guys a weight class smaller than him.

Nice, why not post a pic of Anderson Silva getting leglocked by Chonan while you're at it?

His standup is as good as any in the division, and Maia himself said he's got the best jj he's faced in the UFC so far.

I'd pick him to beat Woodley.

I agree. Masvidal would probably tool Woodley, Rory-style. ...But he has to get there first, and he does have a habit of losing key fights.

His fight against Cerrone then proves Cerrone is done. Getting dominated by such an overrated fighter.

It proves that taking fights so soon after being concussed is a bad idea.

Yet, you're probably a guy who praises Cerrone for every fight he has and calls him one of the LW top 10, lel.

Masvidal, Kevin Lee and Stephen Thompson.

The holy trinity of overratedness.
Maybe add Rockhold.

why is the concept of people getting better so foreign to Sherdog?

People still bring up Stipe losing the Struve too as if it's relevant and would happen again

Nah, he's been passive. When he turns it up he dominates Cerrone. But that passivity led to him dropping close decisions to much lesser fighters. So his skill is I'd say more on the underrated side. Similar to Mousasi a few years ago.

He's only overrated bc of current circumstance.

For many, many years he was UNDERrated.

He's a solid fighter, and I wasn't surprised he beat Cowboy's ass.

Masvidal always shits the bed in the big fights. Average fighter

Back