Jorge Masvidal is one of the most overrated fighters in MMA at the moment

Lol ts please look at his resume, how many other fighters have that type of longevity??
He had a war with prime gilbert melendez ALL the way back in strike force, and still to this day hes ranked top 5 in a division above his natural weight class.

At this rate masvidal will have over 50 pro mma fights, all at the highest level of the sport..
Underrated if anything

Good post.

Nah.

He's beat some respectable WWs and gave Maia a very tough fight that many felt he won.

He's got a rather elite skillset compared to other WWs, and even in his recent losses, they've all been close fights.

He's a top 5 WW as far as I'm concerned.

I thought he beat Maia, judges had it different. Jorge nullified Maia and inflicted damage.

If anything I think Masvidal is one of the most hated fighters. He doesn't get his due props because he seems to rub certain people the wrong way.

You have to really dig deep into his record to really try and embarrass Masvidal, and that's because he has improved. In all of his latest loses Maia, Larkin, Henderson, and Iaquinta Masvidal gave all of his opponents hard fights or arguably beat them.

Masvidal is a beast, and I'm excited to see his championship potential. I personally thought this guys career was going to take a nose dive after the Larkin lose. I've been pleasantly surprised, and won over since.

The fact that his losses were close fights shouldn't mean anything. Weidman's losses are like that, too, but everyone still craps all over him.

If I'm not mistaken all of Masvidals losses in the past like 7 or 8 years has been split decisions.

hes consistent and has done well vs good comp. for a long time. he still hasnt won the big fights yet to take him to the next level. the maia fight was one of them and now this WB fight is important for his career as well. a lot of those split dec's coulda gone to him if he only did a little bit more.

Jorge Masvidal got inverse triangled by a natural FW in Toby Imada.

Masvidal also has recent losses against Bellator WW/LWs Lorenz Larkin and Benson Henderson. Masvidal is 3-3 in his last 6 fights. Somehow he is ranked #4 in the UFC's weak WW division.

He may be a top 5 WW in the UFC but he's not a top 5 WW in the world.

Douglas Lima, Rory, Larkin (again), and Koreshkov all beat Masvidal. Paul Daley might beat him again too.

Thoughts?

Define "natural featherweight" and Masvidal used to be a lot lighter and fought at 155.

Also, another thing to consider:

Masvidal as he's said numerous times, has taken relatively very little damage throughout his career.

He has a boxing style that promotes longevity. Underrated fighter.

The fact that his losses were close fights shouldn't mean anything. Weidman's losses are like that, too, but everyone still craps all over him.
Sorry man I'm not even trying to sound snobby, but those aren't even the same thing. Weidman was finished in definitive fashion in not one, not two, but all three of his losses(even in the Mousavi fight he was well on his way, Weidman cardio had visibly failed him). And in his most recent win, he struggled against an undersized MW (who got his ranking off beating zombies), who even dropped him.

How is that the same thing as getting robbed against Iaquinta, losing a razor thin close decision to a former Champ in his adoptive home town, a split decision to Larkin, and another razor thin split decision to the number one Welterweight in the world?

Sorry man I'm not even trying to sound snobby, but those aren't even the same thing. Weidman was finished in definitive fashion in not one, not two, but all three of his losses(even in the Mousavi fight he was well on his way, Weidman cardio had visibly failed him). And in his most recent win, he struggled against an undersized MW (who got his ranking off beating zombies), who even dropped him.

How is that the same thing as getting robbed against Iaquinta, losing a razor thin close decision to a former Champ in his adoptive home town, a split decision to Larkin, and another razor thin split decision to the number one Welterweight in the world?

Weidman competition was better and he was winning all of those fights -- and actually should've been given the Mousasi win.

Also, he struggled against Gastelum? What the heck were you watching?

Weidman competition was better and he was winning all of those fights -- and actually should've been given the Mousasi win.

Also, he struggled against Gastelum? What the heck were you watching?
The competition was better, you have a point there. But the only fight he was On his way to winning was the Yoel fight, and even that one had that "oh shit factor" where you know Romero can knock anyone dead in the third. And he did.

The Rockhold and Mousasi fights were competitive until about the second round, both fights had a visable momentum shift before their inevitable end. Only hardcore Weidman fans think he deserved the Mousasi win. That fight had a visable momentum shift before the "illegal knees", and was well on its way to ending in a mousasi finish.

He definitely didn't walk through Kelvin G, who is an obviously undersized MW. Before you bring ranking into the equation, Kelvin beat ancient Vitor and Marquardt, and a Kennedy coming off a 2 year layoff. Kelvin himself even mentioned in an interview that he didn't feel confident in defeating the top of the MW division, including Chris. Yet he still dropped him, and looked composed until he was finished I'm the 3rd.

Back