Jon Jones picked Gustafsson over Lyoto Machida: "I annihilated Machida"

doherty

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
ufc-140-press-conference-jon-jones-and-lyoto-machida.jpg

"I said, we'll give the fight to Machida, and Jon Jones is like 'I annihilated Machida, I annihilated him, and I've never fought Gustafsson'"

Read more...

Interview with Ariel Helwani earlier today:

After Lyoto Machida beat Dan Henderson in February, he was told he would be next to fight you, so why are you fighting Gustafsson instead?

I'm really not sure. That was Dana White's call.

Read more...

Last edited:
No one but hardcore Lyoto huggers wanted that fight again. Not even Lyoto...

well he aint lying. everyone acts like Machida was dominating the fight until he got dropped, pounded out and choked out, but he landed like what, 1 decent punch that had jones in no danger whatsoever

I like the Jones interview right before that story.

"After Lyoto Machida beat Dan Henderson in February, he was told he would be next to fight you, so why are you fighting Gustafsson instead?

I'm really not sure. That was Dana White's call."

lol

Correct. No reason seeing them fight again so soon, after Jones almost left hm dead.

I agree. Let's see new contenders instead of rematches. It's already bad enough you have Cain fighting Bigfoot and JDS over and over again. And it's not like the Machida fight was close, I mean Jones pretty much destroyed him with ease.

If and when Jones beats Gus, I say have him work on moving up in weight to the HW division. It would def make things at 205 much more interesting and competitive and would be a much needed addition to the shallow HW division.

And as far as Gus vs. Jones, Jones by whatever the fuck he feels like.

If I saw a guy elbow a hole in another guy's face and then choke him unconscious on the street, I'd certainly describe it that way. I don't think Jones wanted Dana to make what he said public, though.

As much as i dislike Jones he did annihilate machida. I have zero interest in seeing Jones fight people he already beat. Have him fight Glover after he beats Gus and then move that bastard up to Heavyweight so i can hopefully see him lose.

If Machida beats Davis impressively give him next dibs but yeah he got worked by Jones and the Hendo win wasn't title worthy.

So I am cool with Jones vs Gus and if Machida looks bad against Davis and Glover gets a big fight with with the winner of Evans/Hendo and dominates I wouldn't mind him jumping over him in line.

One little flurry from Machida and people think he was hanging with Jones. Let Alex bang

Eh, he cut him and choked him.

I agree with his rationale, no matter how hyperbolic.

War Machida

Making excuses for an ex-champion is even more impressive.

machida would beat jones second fight. i like both guys. jones is getting too cocky. it will cost him eventually. also, yes he is too damn big

Back