Jon Jones is Sherdog.com's new #1 pound-for-pound fighter in the world. What say you?

If GSP finishes a fight again, he'll take the number one spot.

I think Silva would still be a small favorite over Weidman in a rematch.

He might be, but that isn't relevant. He still just lost to Weidman, so he can't be ranked ahead of him in current rankings. I'm not saying Weidman is p4p number one, he doesn't take Silva's place. But Silva has to drop below wherever Weidman now is. I'd put Weidman behind Cain and then put Silva behind Weidman or something. Having him ahead of the guy who knocked him out is nonsensical.

Jones last meaningful fight was in April of 2012 when he won by decision, just like GSP has been doing. Before that, he stopped Machida in 2011. I would have Jones at 2 though but above GSP is a joke. The way GSP fights is a way to fight. People confuse being boring and being skillful. I can see why GSP wouldnt be the goat or p4p best if he was just barely edging out all of these decisions but he dominates everyone.

Hardy - just beat Top 10 Swick in a #1 contender fight, 7 fight win streak
Koscheck - just beat Top 10 Daley in a #1 contender fight, 3 fight win streak with 3 finishes
Shields - SF champ, 15 fight win streak, beat Hendo and Lawler at MW + Daley and Kampmann at WW
Condit - yes, probably GSP's best win since the 2nd Hughes fight
Diaz - coming off of a very close fight with Condit, beforehand was the SF champ with wins over BJ and Daley, 11-1 in his last 12, also he wasn't coming off of an injury layoff

No matter how you slice it, Georges has been facing superior comp of late.

Good point, I was going to reply but you did it perfectly here.
GSP's resume is incredible and he defeated all type of fighters and looked dominant in every fight.

Fedor dropped out of the Top 10 when he lost to Fabricio, but Anderson still is in the Top 5 even though he got brutally KTFO.

LMAO

Fabricio wasn't the #2 HW when he made Fedor quit...which in my estimation would explain the difference here. Not saying Fedor should have been dropped from the list, but that it's an apples/oranges situation.

GSP has the better resume, and that's not debatable. That's what this is based on, not finishes or who you beat in the last couple of years. GSP proved he was number one, and until there is any evidence contrary to that, you can't speculate that Jones has surpassed him just based on recent wins.

Machida, Rashad, Rampage, and Shogun are excellent wins, but the division is very top heavy. There is no depth at all. WW has an extreme amount of depth. WW is comparable to LW in depth but with elite level guys at the top.

People are looking at the WW division with revisionist's history. Thiago Alves was red hot, Fitch was red hot, Matt Hughes was one of the most dominant fighters of all time, BJ Penn was a legend; and Nick Diaz, Carlos Condit, Josh Koscheck, and Jake Shields established themselves as elite contenders before getting title shots.

Yeah, a lot of those guys started slipping after GSP beat them, but we're seeing that with Shogun, Rashad, Rampage, and Machida too.

Jones may be the best, but that's only speculation at this point. People are getting too excited, and GSP is getting completely disrespected.

Jones last meaningful fight was in April of 2012 when he won by decision, just like GSP has been doing. Before that, he stopped Machida in 2011. I would have Jones at 2 though but above GSP is a joke. The way GSP fights is a way to fight. People confuse being boring and being skillful. I can see why GSP wouldnt be the goat or p4p best if he was just barely edging out all of these decisions but he dominates everyone.

I agree, but a lot of people (on Sherdog) feel differently.

To them, a decision isn't a win no matter how one-sided.

GSP should probably be number 1, based on the recent caliber of opponents.

GSP has the better resume, and that's not debatable. That's what this is based on, not finishes or who you beat in the last couple of years. GSP proved he was number one, and until there is any evidence contrary to that, you can't speculate that Jones has surpassed him just based on recent wins.

Machida, Rashad, Rampage, and Shogun are excellent wins, but the division is very top heavy. There is no depth at all. WW has an extreme amount of depth. WW is comparable to LW in depth but with elite level guys at the top.

People are looking at the WW division with revisionist's history. Thiago Alves was red hot, Fitch was red hot, Matt Hughes was one of the most dominant fighters of all time, BJ Penn was a legend; and Nick Diaz, Carlos Condit, Josh Koscheck, and Jake Shields established themselves as elite contenders before getting title shots.

Yeah, a lot of those guys started slipping after GSP beat them, but we're seeing that with Shogun, Rashad, Rampage, and Machida too.

Jones may be the best, but that's only speculation at this point. People are getting too excited, and GSP is getting completely disrespected.

Let me bump this post

Close enough. No matter what the list is people will disagree on something since it is a subjective matter.

My list would look slightly different, but nothing to cry about.

St. Pierre should be #1, but, whatever.

Hardy - just beat Top 10 Swick in a #1 contender fight, 7 fight win streak
Koscheck - just beat Top 10 Daley in a #1 contender fight, 3 fight win streak with 3 finishes
Shields - SF champ, 15 fight win streak, beat Hendo and Lawler at MW + Daley and Kampmann at WW
Condit - yes, probably GSP's best win since the 2nd Hughes fight
Diaz - coming off of a very close fight with Condit, beforehand was the SF champ with wins over BJ and Daley, 11-1 in his last 12, also he wasn't coming off of an injury layoff

No matter how you slice it, Georges has been facing superior comp of late.

Shogun - coming off a knockout win over Machida, was the freaking champion and no. 1 ranked LHW in the world
Machida - is STILL the guy people say can be the guy to beat Jones. Just beat Hendo, only man to KO Rashad
Rampage - former LHW champion, had won 4 of his last 5 and 10 of 12 going into his title shot. More dangerous in terms of finishing a fight with one shot than anyone on GSP's list.
Evans - yes, probably Jones' best win
Vitor - a late replacement, but hasn't lost to anyone not named Anderson Silva or Jon Jones in nearly 7 years
Sonnen - if you're going to defend Hardy I'll defend Sonnen. Better than Hardy.

In addition, Jones finished all but one of these fights while GSP finished zero of his. Anyway you slice it, Jones has been facing superior comp of late and destroying them.

It's subjective.

Not that that will stop 50 pages of futile arguing.

ryan-pointing-the-office.gif

If you are upset that it isn't GSP then you are most likely of the philosophy that "a win is a win'

If you think Jones is #1 then you think that a finish carries more weight in establishing "dominance" than a decision does.

As always the vey top guys should be basically interchangeable. At one point that was Fedor, GSP and Anderson, then Anderson, GSP, and Aldo ....

now it is Jones GSP and Aldo. Aldo has gone unbeaten the longest, GSP has cleaned out a division known for talent and depth and Jones has steamrolled hall of famers and made them look like cheap training partners.

The list is close enough.

Back