John Oliver, HBO, Time Warner Slapped with Lawsuit

• Thread starter Deleted member 491001
  • Start date
You know what I mean, obviously it's a process but the industry is in a steady decline for years and it didn't start, nor will it end, with Obama.
Coal jobs are declining all over the world and with all the sympathy to the coal miners that is the reality. And all this is without even mentioning the climate change.
In other news, if you're a truck driver, I have the same news for you so maybe start planning for it.

Where would the trucking jobs go? Goods will always need to be moved.

Do you think the US doesn't need coal? If so, how long until the US uses no coal?

'Member Blockbuster??

blockbuster-outside.png

That "rebuttal" was awful and didn't really rebut anything.
People crying over their lost coal jobs are just another version of modern Luddites.
Coal is dead, move on.
Coal is dead? I guess someone forgot to tell Europe, Asia, and the Americas, because they're full of countries that burn the shit out of coal.

1509B02-energy-from-coal-chart.png

He basically challenges Murray to go through with the suit in the segment. I doubt Oliver and his producers failed to consider what would happen if it really goes to court.

Of course not. THey have their lawyers look over every bit on the script to make sure it stands up and that Murray's team can't win a lawsuit.

The result was a letter from Murray's lawyers claiming sympathy because Murray is terminally ill, and reiterating that Murray is a true American patriot and provided thousands of jobs to the economy. Essentially just riddled with opinion and subjectivity which hold no legal merit.

Apparently the only thing that his lawyers might be able to contest is the claim that there was no evidence that supported the claim of an earthquake killing those miners, and that the deaths were preventable as they were a result of poor workplace safety conditions. They claim there is evidence that was conveniently left out by Oliver.

Still a long shot for Murray who has a habit of sending his lawyers after everyone and everything.

I hope that smug ass-clown loses his stupid show. Oliver is a butter-toothed retard.

hSUviyK.png

The guy's ratings and youtube views are through the roof. It reaches an extensive demographic group with the precision of a Canadian sniper.

You may not like him because of your political views, but your butthurtedness over this guy is what Libs also feel when hearing the likes of Sean Hannity who is far less witty and capable of piecing coherent thoughts.

Coal still accounted for nearly a third of the US's power generation in 2016. Yes it is being phased out, but it is far from dead.

But the jobs in that industry will go nowhere but down. Automation and modern mining techniques mean than you need less and less miners.

But wouldn't you say your folks' store went the way of the dodo on it's own as more people replaced cameras with smartphones?

Coal is also going away on its own. Decreasing natural gas prices have killed more coal mining jobs than any environmental regulation.

Rich dude spending money to make other rich dudes spend theirs.

The guy's ratings and youtube views are through the roof. It reaches an extensive demographic group with the precision of a Canadian sniper.

You may not like him because of your political views, but your butthurtedness over this guy is what Libs also feel when hearing the likes of Sean Hannity who is far less witty and capable of piecing coherent thoughts.

I do not watch any of the smug, self-righteous, pathetic pundits. I do not even own a television.

PV9gfK.gif

I do not watch any of the smug, self-righteous, pathetic pundits. I do not even own a television.

PV9gfK.gif

No offense but I have always found that people who don't own a television to be a little off. I don't know why that is. Most people who don't watch much television at least own one. It's the ones who make a point in not owning one that are a little socially bizarre I find in my personal experience.

I suspect the coal guy will be hit with a anti slapp motion if the show's attorneys are competent
This.

The suit doesn't stand a chance of getting anywhere.
It won't get anywhere, but it's filed in state court in West Virginia, and theres no statute supporting anti-slapp actions there.

PV9gfK.gif
Yes, you have a different set of self-righteous, smug, pathetic pundits available to you through YouTube.

Looks like coal is still up there compared to most of its history in the U.S.

Coal hasn't been a primary source of energy since the 1900s, quickly being overtaken by oil and natural gas upon their discovery.

It's just not very efficient.

There has been a steep decline in coal usage since early 2000s, not because of pollution alone, but because it just sucks as an energy source.

No offense but I have always found that people who don't own a television to be a little off. I don't know why that is. Most people who don't watch much television at least own one. It's the ones who make a point in not owning one that are a little socially bizarre I find in my personal experience.

People often call me bizarre.

Coal hasn't been a primary source of energy since the 1900s, quickly being overtaken by oil and natural gas upon their discovery.

It's just not very efficient.

There has been a steep decline in coal usage since early 2000s, not because of pollution alone, but because it just sucks as an energy source.

My point wasn't regarding whether or not coal use had increased or decreased, but rather simply that the declarative statement that "coal is dead" is obviously not a cogent or well thought out assertion.

Back