John Oliver, HBO, Time Warner Slapped with Lawsuit

• Thread starter Deleted member 491001
  • Start date
My point wasn't regarding whether or not coal use had increased or decreased, but rather simply that the declarative statement that "coal is dead" is obviously not a cogent or well thought out assertion.

Coal is dying and there is no reason to save it.

I don't see why you care to argue it isn't or it should be saved.

Coal is dying and there is no reason to save it.

If it's dying, I don't think too many countries out there got the message.

Five G7 nations increased their coal use over a five-year period, research shows
https://www.theguardian.com/environ...al-use-over-a-five-year-period-research-shows

The Chinese have an old saying: The body of a starved camel is still bigger than a living horse.

If coal is dying, it is going to be a long, slow death.

I don't see why you care to argue it isn't or it should be saved.

I didn't argue that it isn't dying or that it should be saved. That wasn't my point and I don't care what anyone here thinks about coal. My interest is purely in the truth.

It won't get anywhere, but it's filed in state court in West Virginia, and theres no statute supporting anti-slapp actions there.

Yes, you have a different set of self-righteous, smug, pathetic pundits available to you through YouTube.

I'd try and get the jurisdiction moved out to CA if I were Oliver's counsel assuming that is where Oliver films his show.
But without a anti slapp action this case could drag on for a long time.

Last edited:
history.png

Oh look, coal takes a nosedive when Obama becomes President. Obama literally said he wanted to make electricity more expensive. What a fucking asshole he is.

That segment was hilarious and that guy is the pustulent sore inside a diseased twat.
He might win but he got justifiably roasted.
Even the coal CEO's agree with Oliver, not Trump.

Typical Trump strategy. Just sue somebody to make yourself look strong or righteous. What a fucking loser. He's spreading that garbage.

Oh look, coal takes a nosedive when Obama becomes President. Obama literally said he wanted to make electricity more expensive. What a fucking asshole he is.

lol.. learn to read the charte.

The nosedive started well before Obama took office.

I've no idea, what is clear though is that coal is a dying industry and the whole world is moving to other energy sources.
It doesn't deserve anymore sympathy than my folks did when their photo store slowly died of when digital cameras and smartphones appeared.

Not sure about that. China's coal production has sky rocketed, and the US is still the second largest producer.

It may not be as sexy as something like solar power, but it's still a backbone energy source.

Ill bite . As is and with lobbyists yea we need it but the tech is there and getting better that we could Manhattan project/new deal coal out of existence right this second if we wanted to......
I agree this is a possibility. In terms of large scale implementation of renewable energy for grid applications we need more large-scale test setups and need to study results from other nations like Germany that have implemented these systems more than us.

Lol I cant believe the coal company took the bait to sue. On what fucking grounds lol.

Of course! Solar tech isn't near where streaming and Netflix dvd/BD delivery were to naturally cause the downfall of movie stores though.
I'd actually be very curious to see the rate of increase in efficiency and decrease in cost of alternative energies over the last 20 years.

Of course! Solar tech isn't near where streaming and Netflix dvd/BD delivery were to naturally cause the downfall of movie stores though.

We are rapidly reaching that point however and lying to coal miners isn't going to help anyone.

I'd actually be very curious to see the rate of increase in efficiency and decrease in cost of alternative energies over the last 20 years.
There's a lot of info out there, and there have been huge strides made on different fronts to increase the efficiency of light to energy including micro-magnifying lenses being added to the encapsulation glass to focus the sunlight onto the panel and embedding quantum dots into the panel which act as a sort of echo chamber to reinforce the light absorption, but lots of progress needs to be made on the large scale implementation and interfacing with the grid, power storage, and studies about the longevity of these devices etc.

Slimy coal CEO has just handed the script for Olivers next show on a silver platter. I thought this comment from the Reddit thread covered it quite nicely:
"So not only is Bob Murray willing to sacrifice his workers on the altar of wealth, he is also an idiot. Does he think John Oliver doesn't want this? I have never seen a grown man so giddy at the thought of a circus as John Oliver discussing how litigious Bob Murray is. Lawyers are going to get richer, Last Week Tonight will get higher ratings, and Bob Murray is stupidly lumbering out in to the light, the last place where fat parasites want to be"

Oh well, to quote Mr. Nutterbutter: "Eat shit, Bob".

But the jobs in that industry will go nowhere but down. Automation and modern mining techniques mean than you need less and less miners.
Right and you phase those jobs out through attrition. As people retire don't replace them.

Back