John Oliver, HBO, Time Warner Slapped with Lawsuit

• Thread starter Deleted member 491001
  • Start date
That is another question. But ofc they do.
Is that any reason to not pursue alternatives?
Is that a reason for the US completely missing the boat?
No, I agree it isn't. I'm fully supportive of alternative energy research, and even the grants and subsidies and tax breaks etc they've gotten. In fact my company manufactures equipment integral to the R+D and production of the old inorganic solar panels, the new organic ones, all types of lithium battery research and production, bio-fuels, airborne pollution capture/filtering etc and I personally worked at two of the biggest receivers of energy's money that flopped afterward, yet I stand by the decision to fund them still (although I personally wouldn't have chosen EITHER of those two companies based on their technology, staffing, management etc). I actually was driving by one of them on the freeway when Mitt Romney was filming a campaign video in front of it and I spent a few minutes cursing him out in my car haha! Helped with the stress of the commute.

I've become more receptive to the suggestions that environmental regulations harm the fossil fuel industries though in the last year or so.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lol, has anyone ever successfully sued a comedian for defamation before?

I would think Oliver's legal defense is, "I was joking".
No idea lol! The issue here is that the show contacted the company beforehand to give them the details of the segment and the company sent over materials showing some of the sources' claims had been falsified or shown not to be totally factual already, then the show ignored everything the company sent and doubled-down on only their original material. Tricky situation for sure, even if the guy wasn't already sue-crazy!

I hope that smug ass-clown loses his stupid show. Oliver is a butter-toothed retard.

hSUviyK.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm pretty sure there's a high demand for truck driver jobs.

Either you aren't aware autonomous trucks are almost road legal and on the verge of revolutionizing shipping or you are naive enough to think that the same corporations that have outsourced and automated jobs for decades won't automate and put out of work the bulk of the 7 million truck drivers in the USA.

This reminds me of when Trump sued Bill Maher for Maher saying Trump's father was an orangutan.

Seriously thin skin on some of these rich dudes.

I think Oliver is a jackass but I don't see him losing this lawsuit.

Having been on Bob Murray's steam boat, and met him on at least two other occasions, in person, he seems nice. Hell, his son even served me fruit salad. But to work for him is said to be a nightmare. Not stable work, mining is dangerous, and he makes billions and censors free speech of his employees.

Hell, if anyone remembers the story where I farted and John boehner walked through the cloud, that was at the bob Murray rally for mitt Romney.

What is your comment specifically referring to? I could have clarified; do you think the US doesn't need coal right now?

Ill bite . As is and with lobbyists yea we need it but the tech is there and getting better that we could Manhattan project/new deal coal out of existence right this second if we wanted to......

Lol that lawsuit will be thrown out of the court faster than it got there

Bob Murray has sued at least a dozen journalists or media outlets and hasn't won a single case.

Dude is a professional crybaby.

Being a whiny thin skinned pussy seems to be a common trait among rich fat coal-loving idiots

John Oliver show use this.
https://www.law.cornell.edu/supremecourt/text/485/46
Now send $100,000 US to Matlock, McGill and 44Nutman Law Firm.

Well cited.
Defamation cases are notoriously hard to prove. Considering all things Oliver used were newspaper and court case based, nothing will come of it.

He basically challenges Murray to go through with the suit in the segment. I doubt Oliver and his producers failed to consider what would happen if it really goes to court.

No they didn't. They know Bob Murray can't do shit.
Look, I have a knack for people who are pieces of shit and that Bob Murray guy is a piece of shit as well as most of coal mine executives. Same goes for most big company execs.

Capitalism just has a greedy ugly side to it that we just can't defend.

That was one of the few good segments by John Oliver. He sucks 90% of the time, but that squirrel at the end and taunting of that old douche is pretty damn entertaining.

This reminds me of when Trump sued Bill Maher for Maher saying Trump's father was an orangutan.

Seriously thin skin on some of these rich dudes.
Donald Trump may be one of the most litigious men in the world. In the eighties he was just as well known for suing people as for anything else.

I've no idea, what is clear though is that coal is a dying industry and the whole world is moving to other energy sources.
It doesn't deserve anymore sympathy than my folks did when their photo store slowly died of when digital cameras and smartphones appeared.

The coal industry is far from dead - it's the people needed to do the mining that has gone.

Number of workers:
1280px-US_Coal_Mining_Employment_1890-2014.png

Annual Tons Extracted:
1200px-US_coal_production.png

Back