I've been using Kettlebell For Grapplers program for 6 weeks, my review

Kenneth Jays Viking Warrior Conditioning is another program that may intrigue grapplers.
It's a snatch protocol done on intervals designed to increase power output and vo2 max.

It's a pretty excellent program, and works well with either "style" of snatching. Kenneth originally was an RKC guy, and now works with a more relaxed style, believing this aids with increasing venous return. The frequent rests and hand switches allow you to get a lot of volume with a relatively light weight.. The book has multiple protocols for different energy systems

I just did two breathing ladders of swings + sprawls up to 20 and down again. in the end it was 800 swings + 800 sprawls. Feel great. Couldn't train BJJ today, but I ate like a pig and didn't know classes were cancelled so I had to burn the calories off somehow.

I think the intent was to keep it really simple and not spend a ton of time focusing on KB technique. Snatches are pretty hard to do correctly with heavier weights.

Incidentally, for Judo I think KB snatches are almost the best thing you can possibly do. The high pull needed for a correct snatch is the closest non-Judo analog I've found for the sleeve pull needed for forward throws.

You

Mat fitness is fairly specific...and if you're not doing a lot of randori / sparring, I can see the argument for kettlebells. If you are doing rounds, I'd hazard a guess that typical kettlebell work outs (hi rep stuff like 10 minute SSST) is going to significantly cut into your recovery - and therefore, next day mat performance.

Taking that off the table, there are two other prime advantages of KBs:
1) power development (where power = force x velocity)
2) convenience.

Certainly, power can be increased via KBs (see: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22344061

QCv0yZL.png

Obviously, the power output increase is not as high as with weightlifting but that's the price you pay for the convenience of a kbell. Again, one could argue that this could be enhanced by using, say, bands. OTOH, the high rep nature of most kbell routines makes them prime candidates for causing DOMS...which impedes next day grappling.

It could very well be that a low rep routine of swings (say, 7 sets x 5 reps) with bands might do something comparable to 30% 1RM jump squat training (a known way to significantly increase vertical jump height and 40 yard dash - IOW lower limb power).

Clinically (I'm a PT and a EP), I like Kbells because (a) they're convenient (b) non threatening (c) provide good variety (d) allow novel movements. (e) convenience leads to compliance (f) strength training. These are not trivial benefits at all; I like them a lot.

However, if I was looking to improve someone's power output (say, mine) for grappling, I'd go for plyometrics or speed lifts. If I wanted to improve V02 max, I'd use an ergocycle. And strength - barbells (or some variation of bodyweight / band training).

Kbells occupy a strange mid-point. I like them...but....I don't think they quite hit the spot for grapplers (In fairness, that's a pretty big bucket, so YMMV). OTOH...the convenience of them might just make them 'good enough'.

PS: 48kg kbell is pretty damn impressive!

I understand almost everything but is that DOM way too bad?
I mean , usually do my kbells on weekends after the training week, don

I find DOMS from kbells swings usually knocks me out for a few days. Best I can figure is that the eccentrics overload the spinal erectors etc too much. It could be that a concentric focused routine (if such a thing exists for kbells) could sidestep the issue.

It's the high reps and the eccentrics that don't jibe so well with me; I think my physiology is better suited to lower reps. There was a study out some years ago that discussed muscle type and architecture of different races and correlated it to sports performance (wish I could find it again); interesting study.

I find DOMS from kbells swings usually knocks me out for a few days. Best I can figure is that the eccentrics overload the spinal erectors etc too much. It could be that a concentric focused routine (if such a thing exists for kbells) could sidestep the issue.

It's the high reps and the eccentrics that don't jibe so well with me; I think my physiology is better suited to lower reps. There was a study out some years ago that discussed muscle type and architecture of different races and correlated it to sports performance (wish I could find it again); interesting study.

Would Goldberg describe you as explosive and athletic KBits? And why doesn't he have euphemisms for races other than black?

Would Goldberg describe you as explosive and athletic KBits? And why doesn't he have euphemisms for races other than black?

I don't know who Goldberg is (is that the author and if so, do you have a link to the article)?

The article I'm thinking correlated sports like wrestling, olympic weightlifting, sprinting, swimming, distance running and biathlon.

I wouldn't say I'm particularly naturally athletic and powerful, no. Obviously training in judo ratchets those properties upwards a little but not to the point where I consider myself a gifted athlete.

He's an announcer, it's a joke about racism in sportscasting.

Black athletes are always "So talented" "Athletic" "Explosive"

White Athletes are "Tough" and "hard-working"

Latino Athletes are "Firecrackers"

Mat fitness is fairly specific...and if you're not doing a lot of randori / sparring, I can see the argument for kettlebells. If you are doing rounds, I'd hazard a guess that typical kettlebell work outs (hi rep stuff like 10 minute SSST) is going to significantly cut into your recovery - and therefore, next day mat performance.

Taking that off the table, there are two other prime advantages of KBs:
1) power development (where power = force x velocity)
2) convenience.

Certainly, power can be increased via KBs (see: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22344061

QCv0yZL.png

Obviously, the power output increase is not as high as with weightlifting but that's the price you pay for the convenience of a kbell. Again, one could argue that this could be enhanced by using, say, bands. OTOH, the high rep nature of most kbell routines makes them prime candidates for causing DOMS...which impedes next day grappling.

It could very well be that a low rep routine of swings (say, 7 sets x 5 reps) with bands might do something comparable to 30% 1RM jump squat training (a known way to significantly increase vertical jump height and 40 yard dash - IOW lower limb power).

Clinically (I'm a PT and a EP), I like Kbells because (a) they're convenient (b) non threatening (c) provide good variety (d) allow novel movements. (e) convenience leads to compliance (f) strength training. These are not trivial benefits at all; I like them a lot.

However, if I was looking to improve someone's power output (say, mine) for grappling, I'd go for plyometrics or speed lifts. If I wanted to improve V02 max, I'd use an ergocycle. And strength - barbells (or some variation of bodyweight / band training).

Kbells occupy a strange mid-point. I like them...but....I don't think they quite hit the spot for grapplers (In fairness, that's a pretty big bucket, so YMMV). OTOH...the convenience of them might just make them 'good enough'.

PS: 48kg kbell is pretty damn impressive!

Good post.

Holy shit this is the pussiest thing i have ever read in regards to weight lifting and i have seen Planet Fitness commercials.

I'm a Physical therapist. I work with seniors post neurological trauma (like stroke) and in chronic pain, as well as kids with CP.

Feel good about yourself, broscience.

Last edited:
He's an announcer, it's a joke about racism in sportscasting.

Black athletes are always "So talented" "Athletic" "Explosive"

White Athletes are "Tough" and "hard-working"

Latino Athletes are "Firecrackers"

Haha, I thought I was the only one who picked up on this. Glad I'm not the only one.

This happens a lot in X factor type shows too. Apparently, if you're black and you can sing, you automatically have "soul".

Haha, I thought I was the only one who picked up on this. Glad I'm not the only one.

This happens a lot in X factor type shows too. Apparently, if you're black and you can sing, you automatically have "soul".

Yes, but are you a soldier?

From the show "The League:"

Andre: I met this doctor, Dr. Maxwell. Real class act.
Pete: Is he...black?
Andre: How'd you know?
Pete: Nine times out of ten, when a sportscaster is referring to someone as a "class act", they're talking about a head coach who's black. "Tony Dungy, what a class act."
Kevin: "Total. Lovie Smith—class act."
Andre: I never noticed that. I mean, it happens all the time?
Kevin: It's not just football. Sportscasters use these code words in all sports. If they're talking about a Latino player in baseball, like, "Ozzie Guillen is a..."
Ruxin: Firecracker. Latin guys are always firecrackers.
Kevin: "...firecracker."
Pete: Spark plug.
Kevin: Spark plug in the clubhouse.
Ruxin: Wes Welker is like a gym rat, a real scrappy player.
Kevin: Which is code word for "white."
Ruxin: Always a white guy.
Kevin: Ichiro Suzuki is...
Taco: Inscrutable.

This should really go into F13. It would have been properly trashed/valorized there.

This should really go into F13. It would have been properly trashed/valorized there.

The problem with F13 is that there's only one acceptable answer to all questions: power lift.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back