((( IT'S BETTER FOR MMA ... IF DDP WINS )))

Agree on the lack of common opponents.

However, the flipside to your point is, you'd be remiss counting out Dricus Duplessis as the cause of Robert Whittaker looking awful.

Duplessis manhandled his ass, and that's a big deal, IMO.
Dricus obliterated him, there's no denying it. I can't say for sure how much of that was Dricus and how much of that was Whittaker wiping out badly from the get go. The future matchups for DDP are exciting whether he wins or loses but tomorrow will hopefully fill us in on what these 2 are made of.

Dricus obliterated him, there's no denying it. I can't say for sure how much of that was Dricus and how much of that was Whittaker wiping out badly from the get go.

Understood and concur, but it's definitely something to consider.

Time will tell if "Robert Whittaker is now that bad" ... or if "Dricus Duplessis is now that good" ...

I think they somewhat evenly matched. They both fight at a high pace. Strickland's team watches a lot of tape. If I have anything bad to say then it would be that Strickland doesn't really kick or check leg kicks. His counter to leg kicks is just to move forward to jam the kick.

I do feel that DDP beat a prepared Robert Whittaker while Strickland had Izzy who was burnt out from fighting. Hopefully it is a good scrap tomorrow.

I rewatched the Brunson fight today. If that DDP shows up it's gonna be over by the 3rd rd. He looked bad in that fight, his wrestling really isn't good imo. It's like the Whitaker fight was a one-off almost, idk.

Keep in mind, Brunson has emasculated many up-and-comers; he's seriously talented as a wrestler.

I understand what you're saying, having watched that fight myself, within this same week.

However, the way I interpreted it was, Brunson's experience made a green Dricus look bad early — but Dricus adapted, stepped on the gas, and finished Brunson in the next round.

It wasn't pretty, it wasn't "Khabib dominant," but it did show Dricus' commitment to rise to the occasion, adapt, and still go for the finish, immediately.

But I think Dricus is the one who's going to make it this way.

I think you're absolutely right! I am rooting for DDP and am virtually of the exact same philosophy regarding what they bring to the table in terms of entertaining fights/personalities. As a more detached arm-chair analyst, though, I tend to favor Strickland slightly.

I dunno.

While it's true Sean Strickland made Israel Adesanya look like "a cowardly amateur" — the truth is Izzy has always had "a cowardly style."
Yet Strickland couldn't finish him.

Meanwhile, Dricus Duplessis made Robert Whittaker look like "a weakling amateur" — and no one has ever made Robert Whittaker look like a weakling.

But Duplessis did.

Again, win or lose, Duplessis is involved in a 95% finishing model, while Strickland is involved in a 50% finishing model.

Re-watching the Cannonier fight, if Jared had the balls to step on the gas, I think he would've finished Strickland.
The two simply agreed to a sparring match.

That's not going to happen tomorrow, with Dricus Duplessis, and I don't think Sean has the track record of a true hunter / finisher.

"Going the distance" with a guy who agrees to "spar with you" for five rounds is one thing ,,,

However, "going the distance" with a guy who's trying to finish and kill you is quite another ...

I'm not sure Sean Strickland can handle a finisher scrambling after him for five rounds, truly looking to finish.
But how does he finish Sean? Do you think Sean's TDD will eventually crumble and DDP will sub/tko him? DDP definitely has a great offensive top-game and showcased some good clinch offense against Darren I suppose we haven't really seen anyone at MW really go all out trying to wrestle Sean, though people like Johnny Eblen are very complimentary towards him.

I don't really see DDP knocking Sean out on the feet, but then again, we say DDP's standup is janky every fight and then he randomly knocks them out. So who knows!

I rewatched the Brunson fight today. If that DDP shows up it's gonna be over by the 3rd rd. He looked bad in that fight, his wrestling really isn't good imo. It's like the Whitaker fight was a one-off almost, idk.

Frankly, I think Brunson's wrestling is terribly underrated on here. It's always been some of the best at MW and while he still has his gas in the first, his wrestling/grappling is dang good. The good technique of his wrestling is just consistently overshadowed by the poor technique of his standup

I don't, after a rewatch less than an hour ago.

It was close, and frankly boring (hence my point), but Jared went for it at the end, and threw dangerous shots, while Strickland "Philly-shelled" and "tried not to get hit."

Another boring decision from "safety-first" Sean.

Duplessis is the more exciting, physical fighter.

Don't let the Adesanya fight full you about Strickland.
Sean improved after that fight tbf

the training with Pereira did a world of good for him. Particularly when it comes to sitting down on his punches.

I think you're absolutely right! I am rooting for DDP and am virtually of the exact same philosophy regarding what they bring to the table in terms of entertaining fights/personalities. As a more detached arm-chair analyst, though, I tend to favor Strickland slightly.

Cheers 🍺🍺

But how does he finish Sean? Do you think Sean's TDD will eventually crumble and DDP will sub/tko him? DDP definitely has a great offensive top-game and showcased some good clinch offense against Darren I suppose we haven't really seen anyone at MW really go all out trying to wrestle Sean, though people like Johnny Eblen are very complimentary towards him.

I don't really see DDP knocking Sean out on the feet, but then again, we say DDP's standup is janky every fight and then he randomly knocks them out. So who knows!

That's actually a great question!

Both individuals have "somewhat secret" grappling acumen.
Both individuals have sparring partners who "swear" their grappling game is better than their punching game.

The difference, I think, is that Dricus Duplessis is documented as submitting the entire Gracie Barra Team.
I don't think Strickland has these type of accolades under his belt, as a submission fighter.

But, to be real, I don't know anything about Strickland's grappling game.

What I do know is that Strickland is "overly cautious" (hence only a 50% finishing ratio), while Du Plessis is a hunter/killer (hence a 95% finishing ratio).

Strickland is supposed to have the cardio — but again, it's easy to have "great cardio" if you're coasting to a points decision.

It's not so easy to have "great cardio" when someone is scrambling after your ass, trying to finish and kill you.

Sean improved after that fight tbf

the training with Pereira did a world of good for him. Particularly when it comes to sitting down on his punches.

May be a factor.

Sean is continuously trying to evolve, so that's a good point.

Dricus obliterated him, there's no denying it. I can't say for sure how much of that was Dricus and how much of that was Whittaker wiping out badly from the get go. The future matchups for DDP are exciting whether he wins or loses but tomorrow will hopefully fill us in on what these 2 are made of.
I thought Whittaker looked sharp as always, DDP just had the perfect fight and figured him out. I do think his nasal surgery has made a big difference even from what we saw in those two rounds.

Strickland smashing that douche bag canadian NPC of a reporter did more for MMA than any fight on the 297 fight card will do.
No matter the outcome of the fight, that was a win in my book.

Not a big fan of either tbh. Strickland is boring as shit, but DDP fights like a jacked white boy version of Cindy Dandois. Sure the mix of power and unpredictability works, but fuck he's weird. Like the Day 1 spaz that fucks up your knee.

With how woke the world is its better if sean wins

Sean is basically colby Covington. Boring decision fighters Who are the polar opposites of their persona. Nobody would watch them fight if they weren’t so good at selling.

DDP is definitely the more exciting fighter with finishing power. He gives me GSP vibes during interviews.

Strickland is growing a 'Diaz' Like cult following, he probably is the better investment in that sense. Plus I love the he is doing so well with the Philly shell, for a long time people thought it wouldn't translate to champion tier level MMA.

Worse mouth, no intelligence, no wit, no charisma ... and no KO record to back-up that mouth.

Strickland = "point fighter" ... boring style, no actual wit or charisma.
If he didn't have charisma, he wouldn't have so many fans.

Watched the last few fights of Sean Strickland, in particular Jared Cannonier.

Honestly hated to watch all of them, because they bored TF out of me.

Yes, the Izzy fight with Strickland was exciting, but it was honestly because how much of a running coward Izzy was.

As everybody knows, Izzy rarely wants to stand, and is always wanting to "evade" or "befuddle."
Not exactly the stuff of which legends are made.

By the same token, Strickland isn't exactly some "killer" either:
Strickland has no power, is always (and only) jabbing and parrying.
Is there anyone left (in the universe) who actually wants to "pay money" to watch one guy "out-jab" the other?

That is all Strickland essentially tries to do, behind his (poor-man's) "Philly-shell" stance.

At the end of the day, this "special needs" fighter is boring AF.
A rewatch tells me, especially against Cannonier, that Strickland really didn't do shit, besides jab and duck.

Think the Izzy fight was exciting, but I think that's because Izzy did not have the balls to stand his ground, so Strickland exploited him.

All things considered, I think Dricus Duplessis is better for the division, moving forward.
  • Of Strickland's 33 total fights, nearly half, 16 (49%), went to decision.
  • Of Duplessis' 22 total fights, only 1 (5%), went to decision.
  • 95% of Dricus' fights end in finishes.
After watching several fights from each today, the only fight I have really enjoyed of Strickland's was when he got knocked out by Alex Pereira. The rest were punishment.
By contrast, after watching several fights from Dricus Duplessis, I would watch many over again, because they were exciting wars, almost all of which led to a finish.

Conclusion: The entire UFC MW Division needs Duplessis as Champion, not Strickland.

Yeah, this thread is not biased, at all. I mean, your post history is hilariously made up exclusively of Strickland bashing.
And now your grande finale, telling us fans and the fighters ((what's best for MMA and the UFC middleweight division.))

1705758861489.png

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back