It's amazing how high Floyd's stock has gone up

You are living under the delusion that punching magically negates all other aspects of fighting...a common ailment that the early UFCs were able to treat in the 90s...however an epidemic has reemerged as of late

I think you are under the delusion that the UFC is like a street fight. It isn't. If you go to ground on a street fight "cause I can wrestle and BJJ bro" you are completely fucked as homie's 3 friends will kick the shit out of you while you're trying to rear naked choke homie.

Don't even get me started on kicking LOL. Leg kicks sure they can be useful. But most street fights are over in a few seconds and the guy that can get into the pocket and throw a couple of effective punches first is likely the winner who gets to walk away.

Look at how most fights are started and where they're started. Either inside a crowded bar or just out. Two dudes push each other then fists are thrown. Sure there are other circumstances too but most unwanted attention occurs in bars or similar.

I think you are under the delusion that the UFC is like a street fight. It isn't. If you go to ground on a street fight "cause I can wrestle and BJJ bro" you are completely fucked as homie's 3 friends will kick the shit out of you while you're trying to rear naked choke homie.

Don't even get me started on kicking LOL. Leg kicks sure they can be useful. But most street fights are over in a few seconds and the guy that can get into the pocket and throw a couple of effective punches first is likely the winner who gets to walk away.

Look at how most fights are started and where they're started. Either inside a crowded bar or just out. Two dudes push each other then fists are thrown. Sure there are other circumstances too but most unwanted attention occurs in bars or similar.
By that logic a street fight should also incorporate the hydrogen bomb

limited form of fighting

half a fight

dance around the ring

0-0

gassed

conor is boxing

no one cares about boxing

boxing is still dead

wealth belly

100+ mil

in association

huge gloves

hide head in crotch

giving opponent your ass

composed

experienced

0-0

Irish

100+ mil

in association

champ champ

winning

conor is boxing

boxing is dead

You should love Floyd then - he outfought Conor and made him his bitch.
He lost, get over it
Absolutely, it has been the making of Floyd. And he deserves it. He's come over really well. He told the truth all though the build up. Not the same fighter but good enough. Credit to Conor for the dance
True boxing fans have always known how great Floyd Mayweather is. For those who just want to watch a punch fest and two guys beat the shit out of each other, Floyd's matches have been considered boring. Those people have failed to understand his skills and instead summarise him as a runner and hugger. Of fighting second rate opponents. But not to those who appreciate the finer points of boxing. Floyd is a wizard in the ring and fought top notch opponents but made many of them look second rate in comparison.

But now that an old well-past-it Floyd fought and dominated Conor, so many are saying how great Floyd is. Conor nut huggers are saying Conor did well to last 10 rounds against The Best Ever. Guys at the local Irish pub saying how great Floyd must be to have beaten Conor (LOL). It's crazy but true, Floyd's stock has gone up significantly in the eyes of the ignorant masses just by beating some loudmouth noob who doesn't even know how to throw a punch properly.

By that logic a street fight should also incorporate the hydrogen bomb

MMA is a sport not a street fight. A street fight means a fight that happens on the street and is subjected to all the thousands of factors and variables that can affect the outcome. Such variables and factors aren't present in MMA or Boxing. It's a completely different thing. Which doesn't mean an MMA fighter can't be effective on the street. He can. What it means is that there are variables that might lead a professional fighter to not have the same kind of success on the street that he would have inside an octagon, under several rules designed to protect him.

Now, despite what the BJJ community might have tried to sell to you, going to the ground in a street fight isn't a good option unless you're 100% sure you are in a safe environment, the person isn't armed and no one is gonna attack you while you're on the ground.

The space in which you're in can also have an impact on whether or not your grappling techniques would be viable. If you're in a small and crowded environment, your BJJ might not look so effective.

The conditions can also be a factor. In the street you're not falling and rolling in a soft mat. It's not as comfortable, it's not as safe.

In the street nobody is gonna stop the fight and take a point away if you get kneed in the balls. Just like nobody's gonna stop the fight regardless of whatever your opponent decides to do to you.

And you might say "ohh, but, but, but, whatever he can do to me, i can do to him too". True. But who will be the first trying to get dirty? I'd say it will be the one with less legit weapons. If you're a BJJ expert, most of the time you will be focused on winning using your art. Your first thought ain't gonna be to blind someone or to punch him in the nuts. But, on the other hand, if you feel you have no options, grabbing someone's nuts might be seen right away as a viable option to you.

As you can see "street fighting" is a lot more complex than a combat sport. You can't decide who would win in a street fight just by determining who is a more well rounded martial artist. There are variables that go way beyond pure skill. There are variables that you don't learn how to deal with in a BJJ class.

MMA is a sport not a street fight. A street fight means a fight that happens on the street and is subjected to all the thousands of factors and variables that can affect the outcome. Such variables and factors aren't present in MMA or Boxing. It's a completely different thing. Which doesn't mean an MMA fighter can't be effective on the street. He can. What it means is that there are variables that might lead a professional fighter to not have the same kind of success on the street that he would have inside an octagon, under several rules designed to protect him.

Now, despite what the BJJ community might have tried to sell to you, going to the ground in a street fight isn't a good option unless you're 100% sure you are in a safe environment, the person isn't armed and no one is gonna attack you while you're on the ground.

The space in which you're in can also have an impact on whether or not your grappling techniques would be viable. If you're in a small and crowded environment, your BJJ might not look so effective.

The conditions can also be a factor. In the street you're not falling and rolling in a soft mat. It's not as comfortable, it's not as safe.

In the street nobody is gonna stop the fight and take a point away if you get kneed in the balls. Just like nobody's gonna stop the fight regardless of whatever your opponent decides to do to you.

And you might say "ohh, but, but, but, whatever he can do to me, i can do to him too". True. But who will be the first trying to get dirty? I'd say it will be the one with less legit weapons. If you're a BJJ expert, most of the time you will be focused on winning using your art. Your first thought ain't gonna be to blind someone or to punch him in the nuts. But, on the other hand, if you feel you have no options, grabbing someone's nuts might be seen right away as a viable option to you.

As you can see "street fighting" is a lot more complex than a combat sport. You can't decide who would win in a street fight just by determining who is a more well rounded martial artist. There are variables that go way beyond pure skill. There are variables that you don't learn how to deal with in a BJJ class.

Preach.

Now I want you to imagine and list all the variables in the street where standing up would be detrimental and grappling favorable.

By arguing that there are countless variables that occur outside the gym, you've just weakened boxing's effectiveness even more. The sport that addresses more of these variables would have greater efficacy than the sport which does not address as many variables. Hence, MMA is light years closer to real fighting than boxing. The crux of my position since the beginning of time.

limited form of fighting

half a fight

dance around the ring

0-0

gassed

conor is boxing

no one cares about boxing

boxing is still dead

wealth belly

100+ mil

in association

huge gloves

hide head in crotch

giving opponent your ass

composed

experienced

0-0

Irish

100+ mil

in association

champ champ

winning

conor is boxing

boxing is dead
The lone voice in the wilderness cried out. But know one understood him because he was touched by the raving madness. And they prayed.

Great post. Unfortunately you can only lead a horse to water, you can't make it drink. If ibuprofen was a horse, there's no option but to shoot that lame horse in the head and put it out of its misery.

Back