Media Islam Makhachev plans to break Charles Oliveira at UFC 294, eyes welterweight title - ESPN MMA

What chance of winning do you give Islam against the current T10 WW's. Here's mine:

C. Edwards - 40%
1. Usman - 15%
2. Colby - 20%
3. Belal - 20%
4. Khamzat - 5%
5. Burns - 45%
6. Shavkat - 35%
7. Wonderboy - 55%
8. G. Neal - 55%
9. Brady - 60%
10. Luque - 50%

I've got Islam favored in only 3 T10 WW matchups and basically a pick 'em vs Luque.
20% against Belal, really? He’s better than Belal everywhere. They’re also practically the same size, in fact Islam probably walks bigger off-camp.

What chance of winning do you give Islam against the current T10 WW's. Here's mine:

C. Edwards - 40%
1. Usman - 15%
2. Colby - 20%
3. Belal - 20%
4. Khamzat - 5%
5. Burns - 45%
6. Shavkat - 35%
7. Wonderboy - 55%
8. G. Neal - 55%
9. Brady - 60%
10. Luque - 50%

I've got Islam favored in only 3 T10 WW matchups and basically a pick 'em vs Luque.

You've gotta be hating for sure. Only 20% against Colby? You're kidding. He's nearly 36 and he's not even that big of a welterweight, minimal threat on the feet. If they were matched up the fight would likely be priced as a near coin toss matchup.

20% against Belal, really? He’s better than Belal everywhere. They’re also practically the same size, in fact Islam probably walks bigger off-camp.

Islam just got beat by a 145'er. Be grateful it's 20%.

You've gotta be hating for sure. Only 20% against Colby? You're kidding. He's nearly 36 and he's not even that big of a welterweight, minimal threat on the feet. If they were matched up the fight would likely be priced as a near coin toss matchup.

See comment above.

Boy those cheering Australian fans really did a number on your ability to score rounds accurately. :)

View attachment 1005011

http://mmadecisions.com/decision/13772/Islam-Makhachev-vs-Alexander-Volkanovski

Islam laid and prayed with a 145 manlet, therefor he's got a 50/50 chance vs one of the best 170'ers in the UFC? Sherbro logic.

0_UFC-284-Makhachev-v-Volkanovski.jpg

C. Edwards - 40%
1. Usman - 15%
2. Colby - 20%
3. Belal - 20%
4. Khamzat - 5%
5. Burns - 45%
6. Shavkat - 35%
7. Wonderboy - 55%
8. G. Neal - 55%
9. Brady - 60%
10. Luque - 50%

I would favor any champion over guys outside the top 5 in the next division up, with the exception of a few rising stars. I think people don't grasp how hard it is to become a champ and how competitive the champs in a below weight can do in the next weight class up. That being said, I think I give your Edwards and Colby % a thumbs up, but disagree with most of the rest of the list.

Islam laid and prayed with a 145 manlet, therefor he's got a 50/50 chance vs one of the best 170'ers in the UFC? Sherbro logic.

Islam still won 3 rounds in the majority's eyes regardless of how you want to critique his performance or gameplan.

Lol Colby's last 3 wins are over guys who came into the fights on 2 fight losing streaks, let's cool it with pumping him up too much. :D

Islam vs Colby/Leon are far more intriguing match ups than Islam vs Gaethje.

Also, from a promotional/entertainment pov, Islam vs Colby would be a big seller for the UFC.

C. Edwards - 40%
1. Usman - 15%
2. Colby - 20%
3. Belal - 20%
4. Khamzat - 5%
5. Burns - 45%
6. Shavkat - 35%
7. Wonderboy - 55%
8. G. Neal - 55%
9. Brady - 60%
10. Luque - 50%

how great would an Islam v Khamzat fight be

Islam needs to clear out the top 10 in LW. He hasn’t fought Gaethje, Chandler, Poirier, Dariush. What do we have? Takes the belt off Oliviera and bounces over to another weight class. now he want to beat Oliviera again and bounce AGAIN? Mmmm….no. Stay put and do the work.

I hope he dominates Charles, knocks him out and breaks this Olivera bandwagon for the last time. I got tired of hearing the nonsense before the first fight, the excuses after it, and the rah rah pep rally before this fight.

It's called having a loyal and supportive fan base. Usually you get that by putting on exciting fights and being a great fighter! Perhaps if Islam had some fans he would have the same support. But he doesn't cause many people don't like him.

YouTube chapters below

Copy and pasted lol

<{outtahere}>

0:00 Taking on Oliveira a second time
8:58 Wants to fight for welterweight belt
11:00 Thoughts on Volkanovski fight
13:47 IV accusations
15:52 Khabib’s thoughts on rematch
19:11 Covington wants to fight him
20:58 Most enjoyable fight of career?
22:37 Will this fight week be different?
24:00 Not a fan of golf

The

C. Edwards - 40%
1. Usman - 15%
2. Colby - 20%
3. Belal - 20%
4. Khamzat - 5%
5. Burns - 45%
6. Shavkat - 35%
7. Wonderboy - 55%
8. G. Neal - 55%
9. Brady - 60%
10. Luque - 50%

0 chance theres a reason hes at lw and hes a ww..

Hel never fight at ww either unless somone like wonderboy or a striker gets the belt

0 chance theres a reason hes at lw and hes a ww..

Hel never fight at ww either unless somone like wonderboy or a striker gets the belt

Colby walks into the cage at like 175-180 lbs for his welterweight fights, it's pretty surprising how some of you guys think Islam couldn't compete with him grappling wise.

Especially a version of Islam who is not making a big weight cut.

bro needs to give up the lw belt if he wants to do ww

there are so many eltie LWs right now not getting a title shot.

Small guys can give bigger guys trouble. Fedor made a career out of it and then lost to Hendo for the same reason. Doesn't mean anything about how he would go in a higher weight division.
I hope he dominates Charles, knocks him out and breaks this Olivera bandwagon for the last time. I got tired of hearing the nonsense before the first fight, the excuses after it, and the rah rah pep rally before this fight.
Hands down the most toxic, unrealistic and aggressive fanbase I've ever seen in mma. I liked Oliveira but they made me cheer when he lost.

It's called having a loyal and supportive fan base. Usually you get that by putting on exciting fights and being a great fighter! Perhaps if Islam had some fans he would have the same support. But he doesn't cause many people don't like him.
I'm a fan of Islam's and honestly the hate the guy gets is just confusing. He's relatively active and looks to finish fights, what's not to like? Seems to me most people have based their opinion of him on things that have nothing to do with him as a fighter which is disappointing.

YouTube chapters below

Copy and pasted lol

<{outtahere}>

0:00 Taking on Oliveira a second time
8:58 Wants to fight for welterweight belt
11:00 Thoughts on Volkanovski fight
13:47 IV accusations
15:52 Khabib’s thoughts on rematch
19:11 Covington wants to fight him
20:58 Most enjoyable fight of career?
22:37 Will this fight week be different?
24:00 Not a fan of golf

It's a weird choice after edging the champion of 145. His division is full of so many match ups and he hasn't done enough for the shot at WW. 170 itself has been stagnant in the top 10 for the last couple years, you have to think we get a few defences in for both new champions first surely.

Islam vs Colby/Leon are far more intriguing match ups than Islam vs Gaethje.

Also, from a promotional/entertainment pov, Islam vs Colby would be a big seller for the UFC.

Just a matter of time before Islam gets accused of "ducking Gaethje" lol <Lmaoo><Lmaoo> Gaethje will get subbed again in his third title fight, I agree it's not that compelling.

Back