Dustin Poirier Reveals Details of Short Notice Offer to Fight Islam Makhachev at UFC 295.

Substance Abuse

The Best is Blessed Belt
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score

Dustin Poirier said he agreed when the UFC contacted to face Islam Makhachev at UFC 294 on short notice. That was until the shot went to Alexander Volkanovski, who got the lightweight title fight after Charles Oliveira was forced to withdraw.

Poirier said UFC Chief Business Officer Hunter Campbell didn’t outright tell him he’d be the pick. But if the promotion had chosen him, he would’ve jumped on the opportunity.

Campbell told ESPN prior to the event that Poirier not only agreed to the fight, but the former interim lightweight champion was “bugging” Campbell to know what the status of the fight was.

Poirier said UFC Chief Business Officer Hunter Campbell didn’t outright tell him he’d be the pick. But if the promotion had chosen him, he would’ve jumped on the opportunity.

Campbell told ESPN prior to the event that Poirier not only agreed to the fight, but the former interim lightweight champion was “bugging” Campbell to know what the status of the fight was.

“That’s exactly accurate,” Poirier said in an interview with MMA Fighting while promoting Celsius Essentials. “I think it was 12 days, 11 days before the event [when I got the call]. The thing is, dude, I just landed, I have a condo in South Florida and, the day they called me, I had just landed maybe two-and-half-hours in Florida before the call [because I had] to check on my condo. I stayed there for maybe five days to get some training in with the team there because I haven’t seen them in a while.

“So I get back to my condo, I’m unpacking my bags and my phone rings. I see it’s Hunter, and I’m all jacked up on Celsius. I answer the phone, let’s go. I said, ‘What perfect timing. This is how life works.’ I just landed in Florida. My whole team is here, my coaches are in town, this happened for a reason. He asked me my weight, and I [told him I] can make the weight in 11 days, no problem. I thought that was it. He told me [to] give him one day.

So the next day I didn’t hear back. I’m like, ‘Hey, bro, I said, yes, let’s go I got my team here, let’s book these flights. I need to get out there ASAP.’ Then he kept quiet for a while, and then all the news started breaking. But he didn’t tell me, ‘Hey, you’re the guy.’ He asked me if I would do it. I said yes, he told me to give him one day, and I guess he was waiting on Alexander to commit.

Poirier has competed once thus far in 2023, when he suffered a second-round knockout loss to Justin Gaetjhe in the “BMF” title main event at UFC 291. Asked if there was a scenario where Volkanovski was unable to take the fight, Poirier was mostly sure he would’ve been the choice.

“I’m not sure,” Poirier said. “I mean, they called me for a reason. It seems like that, but I don’t know.”

Of course, Volkanovski ended up taking the fight, and he was on the wrong end of a head-kick knockout loss to Makhachev.

Instead of being bitter of a potential lost opportunity, Poirier was more sympathetic toward Volkanovski. Poirier had a good idea what he featherweight champ was feeling that day in Abu Dhabi – he’d felt the same.

“I thought it was gonna be a lot more of a competitive fight,” Poirier explained. “It sucks, because I’ve been in that position. It sucks to see a guy go out there, but also he wasn’t fully prepared. He was taking a chance to be great, and those things happen, and they can happen [even] when you’re fully prepared. It’s happened to me.

“But to see a guy go out there in front of the world, and not get to actually compete and get into the actual fight, that sucks. But that can happen to anyone. That’s fighting, and that’s why we love it.”

https://www.mmafighting.com/2023/11...tice-offer-to-face-islam-makhachev-at-ufc-294

Volk was already there and had had a camp just made more sense. imo

Bleh. Islam is probably gonna wreck Dustin if they fight.

I mean, sure I'll watch but I found the Volk fight much more interesting. There isn't really a top LW that interests me in a bout with Islam right now.

I feel like the guy who is gonna give him trouble is someone coming up. Not someone already established.

Poirier himself just got head kicked into oblivion.

I mean, how many many times do Gaethje and Poirier get to "try and fail" :eek:

Enough is enough ....

Gamrot or Tsarukyan would have been more interesting, although Tsarukyan already failed against Makhachev and Gamrot.

We need new blood ...

Lol great choice to have recently-KOd-Poirier another title fights. Would've gotten RNCd anyway.

In a short notice situation you have to contact multiple competitors if the person you most want as the replacement says he needs a day to think about it. You got to get your Plan B ready to go just in case he says no.

Dustin Poirier said he agreed when the UFC contacted to face Islam Makhachev at UFC 294 on short notice. That was until the shot went to Alexander Volkanovski, who got the lightweight title fight after Charles Oliveira was forced to withdraw.

Poirier has competed once thus far in 2023, when he suffered a second-round knockout loss to Justin Gaetjhe in the “BMF” title main event at UFC 291. Asked if there was a scenario where Volkanovski was unable to take the fight, Poirier was mostly sure he would’ve been the choice.

Of course, Volkanovski ended up taking the fight, and he was on the wrong end of a head-kick knockout loss to Makhachev.

Instead of being bitter of a potential lost opportunity, Poirier was more sympathetic toward Volkanovski. Poirier had a good idea what he featherweight champ was feeling that day in Abu Dhabi – he’d felt the same.

https://www.mmafighting.com/2023/11...tice-offer-to-face-islam-makhachev-at-ufc-294

Thanks for the cliffs OP.

Despite the outcome, Volk vs Islam 2 was still the correct fight to make.

Dustin is fun to watch but would not have been competitive at all against Islam. Mediocre TDD and recovering from a KO loss on top of that. Gamrot would have been a more interesting opponent for Islam than Dustin.

Gamrot was the fight to make. He had just prepared for 5 rounds against a southpaw, was told he was the backup fighter and to stay ready, and he was already planning to make weight and go to abu dhabi. They went with an undercooked volk rematch to please their UAE financers with the "bigger" fight. It was alarming how many fans ate it up, too.

Last edited:
Dustin is one of my favorite fighters ever, but Full-camp Islam wrecks anybody without a camp. Period.

Without exception. Islam is a nightmare for practically every fighter after a full camp. Without a camp everyone is easy pickings.

Poirier himself just got head kicked into oblivion.

I mean, how many many times do Gaethje and Poirier get to "try and fail" :eek:

Enough is enough ....

Gamrot or Tsarukyan would have been more interesting, although Tsarukyan already failed against Makhachev and Gamrot.

We need new blood ...

So far the new blood has flunked big time! There was all this talk over a year ago with all these new LWs like Arman, Gamrot, Fiziev, Guram and Damir that they're just as good as the top 5. None of them succeeded yet.

In fairness, Gaethje has earned his title shots and so has Poirier.

So far the new blood has flunked big time! There was all this talk over a year ago with all these new LWs like Arman, Gamrot, Fiziev, Guram and Damir that they're just as good as the top 5. None of them succeeded yet.

I agree with you that Gaethje did earn a title shot, in beating the rising Fiziev. That was an impressive effort in renewal of Gaethje's worth.

Poirier, by contrast, earned nothing.
Lost to Gaethje by KO; lost to Oliveira by tap out.

I agree with you that Gaethje did earn a title shot, in beating the rising Fiziev. That was an impressive effort in renewal of Gaethje's worth.

Poirier, by contrast, earned nothing.
Lost to Gaethje by KO; lost to Oliveira by tap out.

Gaethje also KO'd Poirier, so he's got 2 in a row.

But I was talking about his prior title shots. It can't be argued that Poirier earned it in his first shot, that was an incredible run at LW beating some top guys. Then he beat Hooker, Conor 2x, that also was enough to earn a shot. Right now obviously he hasn't earned his shot cause he just lost to Gaethje. But this was a short notice fill in, it's not about deserving at that point. They are desperate.

Gaethje also KO'd Poirier, so he's got 2 in a row.

I literally just said that about Gaethje.

GBut I was talking about his prior title shots. It can't be argued that Poirier earned it in his first shot, that was an incredible run at LW beating some top guys. Then he beat Hooker, Conor 2x, that also was enough to earn a shot. Right now obviously he hasn't earned his shot cause he just lost to Gaethje. But this was a short notice fill in, it's not about deserving at that point. They are desperate.

Respectfully disagree. I don't think Hooker is a "top win." An exciting fight, yes. But Hooker is a palooka.

Same thing with Conor. Red panty light, maybe, but not a top win.

Poirier literally ducked Dariush. Got finished by Oliveira and Gaethje.

Gaethje has an argument for being near the top, but Poirier does not.

PS: Despite all I said, I think Poirier is a bigger threat to Makhachev than Gaethje is.

Styles might fights — and I think Poirier tougher for Makhachev than would Gaethje.

Dustin'z bad ass AF. I'd love to see this fight on dualing "FULL CAMPS" though.

Thank you! That’s been one of the worst takes of 2023.
- Gaethje beat Fiziev
- Olivera beat Dariush
- Gamrot needs to beat somebody else, and that somebody should be either Poirier, Olivera, or Gaethje (or he’s only HYPE)

- Folks need to accept that 155 is stacked at the top 5 and rank-squatting is such a moronic take.

Gamrot was the fight to make. He had just prepared for 5 rounds against a southpaw, was told he was the backup fighter and to stay ready, was already planning to make weight and go to abu dhabi. They went with an undercooked volk rematch to please their UAE financers with the "bigger" fight. It was alarming how many fans ate it up, too.
Gamrot lost to Dariush and has beaten the same guy who Gaethje beat. It’s comical and borderline buffoonish that fans can’t accept that Gamrot needs to beat one of Poirier, Gaethje, or Olivera or perhaps he’s another Dariush or Fiziev (HYPE).

Gamrot lost to Dariush and has beaten the same guy who Gaethje beat. It’s comical and borderline buffoonish that fans can’t accept that Gamrot needs to beat one of Poirier, Gaethje, or Olivera or perhaps he’s another Dariush or Fiziev (HYPE).

Of all the potential opponents for Islam on that short notice abu dhabi card, Gamrot was the highest ranked lightweight that had a full camp and he was also the only one planning making weight on that date. That alone made him more viable than just about anyone else on the short notice conditions.

Last edited:
Back