Is this the best reversal from bottom in UFC history?

Thank god you didnt say Cowboy on Perry, for that alone, I approve,

Have you possibly considered that it was more of a monumentally amaterish mistake on Hughes part rather than anything BJ did?

I mean even as a white belt you know not to shift you center of gravity straight into a sitting opponents side like that. You are begging them to take your back especially in no-gi/shirtless/sweaty
I was just thinking I'm pretty sure a blue belt could have done that.

OH! Also...
ReliableSizzlingIvorygull.gif

Just a forgotten ATG doin' ATG things...

People talk about how great Hughes's wrestling is, but as a whole...his grappling game on the BJJ side was a bit weak.

Ahem, did you not see Hughes counter GSP and land the prettiest far-side armbar on a kimura attempt counter?

Or his modified choke to tap out Almeida?

Smh.......

<DisgustingHHH>

It was an epic moment. BJ And Fedor and my guys for life.

BJ penn has more flashes of brilliance and epic fails then anyone in MMA

Best I ever saw is wanderlei propell arona off of him using only Hate. I believe it's the 2nd fight they had.

Have you possibly considered that it was more of a monumentally amaterish mistake on Hughes part rather than anything BJ did?

I mean even as a white belt you know not to shift you center of gravity straight into a sitting opponents side like that. You are begging them to take your back especially in no-gi/shirtless/sweaty
Matt should have probably come train with you and your Blue Belt Knowledge.

You don't pull off the sub he hit on GSP and take part in ADCC if you're not legit - regardless of time period.

First of all it is an MMA and striking changes everything.

What Penn did is a variation of the Back-take that Telles shows on his DVD from Octopus Guard (his term). It was done after Matt had thrown a strike and BJ timed. I Guarantee that if Penn wanted to he'd do that to you; despite your Blue Belt skills.

Last edited:
Also Penn getting up and taking GSP down during the 2nd fight is a great reversal.

Cannot find the gif of it.

I don't know since i can't recall every single reversed bottom in history.

I've always just called it a half guard sweep, but I'm sure someone has some wacky name for it, I just don't know it haha.

Its just a variation of a deep half sweep, but normally you place arm under armpit rather than leg, even though I prefer the latter.

Works OK. Most people kind of expect it but Big Timmie was a goof.

Back