Is this the best reversal from bottom in UFC history?

My point still stands though:

Of all those people he beat, can you honestly pretend any of them would even break top 10 in todays field of elite fighters? Who? Gomi? Pulver who had to end his career at BANTAMWEIGHT to even stay competitive?

BJ Penn's record and wins seem pedantric at best compared to someone like Khabib or Hendo or Pettis or RDA or any of those elite names who fought when the pool was full of sharks and not just fish
Sean Sherk, Florian, Diego, Gomi, Uno would all be top 10 LWs today. Michael Chiesa and Nate Diaz are top 10 LWs lol Diego whooped Nate's older brother in his prime, but he wouldn't be top 10 today? Sherk only lost to Penn, Hughes, GSP and Frankie. You think Dustin Poirier is levels above Florian, Gomi and Uno?? Please lol

Stop acting like the game has evolved more than it has. Nate Diaz is still a top 10 LW.

idk... as far as overcoming someones IMPRESSIVE top game... to not only get out from under them... but to put them on the bottom, and take over control of top position is DEF. impressive all the time. But my ALL TIME favorite.. is probably this one: ** Starts @ 1: 33 ** !!!

during his GnP, Fedor makes a mistake... Big Nog takes his top position from him. Then Fedor pulls a reversal out of left field and put Nog back down on his back, and is back in mount. This was an impressive fight. By both men. In a time when the sport was VERY young!!!

OH MY FUCKING GOD THANK YOU, THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I ALWAYS THINK OF WHEN I THINK OF THE MOST AMAZING REVERSALS EVER.

Despite looking like a pudgy plumber, Fedor had the most explosive and powerful core strength I have ever seen in anyone. Ever.

Honestly bud I stopped arguing with BJ deluded nut huggers a long time ago. The guy has always been just at the right place at the right time and nothing more. He was great in a time of mediocire fighters who wouldn't even crack top 10 in todays crop of fighters but all I ever get from you guys is "but he fought Machida at like Super heavyweight bro!!!111"
This seems a bit over the top. BJ consistently pulled off maneuvers that we have not seen since. His flexibility and techniques were amazing and unique. And often not enough. For a time, he was one of a few who gave GSP trouble.

I think if you take someone of his raw talent and physicality, and give them proper training in today's environment, he would at least be a contender. Now if you include his seemingly unwillingness to train, not so much.

Honestly bud I stopped arguing with BJ deluded nut huggers a long time ago. The guy has always been just at the right place at the right time and nothing more. He was great in a time of mediocire fighters who wouldn't even crack top 10 in todays crop of fighters but all I ever get from you guys is "but he fought Machida at like Super heavyweight bro!!!111"
Do you think if you took today's LW fighters and put them back 10-15 years to when BJ was considered great, but they only had access to the same gyms/theories/training methods of that period, that you would consider them equally as mediocre as those who BJ beat or do you think they would still be massively better than him?

GSP's on Hardy is up there. But this was a great one, no doubt

idk... as far as overcoming someones IMPRESSIVE top game... to not only get out from under them... but to put them on the bottom, and take over control of top position is DEF. impressive all the time. But my ALL TIME favorite.. is probably this one: ** Starts @ 1: 33 ** !!!

during his GnP, Fedor makes a mistake... Big Nog takes his top position from him. Then Fedor pulls a reversal out of left field and put Nog back down on his back, and is back in mount. This was an impressive fight. By both men. In a time when the sport was VERY young!!!

That was pretty awesome, forgot that happened.

To me, it looks like BJ imbalanced him with that weird octopus-guard-like situp he did - I think most people would struggle to pull something like that off from closed guard but BJ was always able to do some really strange stuff with his flexibility and natural ability.

Yes, seeing this gif, aside from being impressed I was grossed out at the body contortion that was involved. I love jiu-jitsu, but sometimes you see the shit that goes down during it and it looks disgusting as far as risk of injury goes, just like MMA.

That was definitely an impressive display from Penn, maybe not the most impressive but definitely one of the most exciting moments in the sport at the time considering the entire context.

Sean Sherk, Florian, Diego, Gomi, Uno would all be top 10 LWs today. Michael Chiesa and Nate Diaz are top 10 LWs lol Diego whooped Nate's older brother in his prime, but he wouldn't be top 10 today? Sherk only lost to Penn, Hughes, GSP and Frankie. You think Dustin Poirier is levels above Florian, Gomi and Uno?? Please lol

Stop acting like the game has evolved more than it has. Nate Diaz is still a top 10 LW.

Do I think Porier is a level above Florian, Gomi and Uno?

How can I answer this without sounding like an ass..... well, no I don't.

I think Porier would beat 2 of those 3 at the same time. Not even remotely kidding

Porier is a new breed. Born and bred in an MMA lab. His entire body is a refined tool of destruction. Florian , Gomi, and Uno where part time warriors with full time jobs. Not even remotely the same playing field.

And open up a dictionary, find "gate keeper" and right there you will see Nate's ugly mug plastered next to that entry. The guy is the classic definition of mediocre. If anything you help proving my point by bringing him up, he dominated back in that field but getting thoroughly outclassed by the top 5 in todays field.

Yes, seeing this gif, aside from being impressed I was grossed out at the body contortion that was involved. I love jiu-jitsu, but sometimes you see the shit that goes down during it and it looks disgusting as far as risk of injury goes, just like MMA—which is what we're talking about of course.
Pretty sure he broke his rib pulling that maneuver off.

I think Porier would beat 2 of those 3 at the same time. Not even remotely kidding

Porier is a new breed. Born and bred in an MMA lab. His entire body is a refined tool of destruction. Florian , Gomi, and Uno where part time warriors with full time jobs. Not even remotely the same playing field.

And open up a dictionary, find "gate keeper" and right there you will see Nate's ugly mug plastered next to that entry. The guy is the classic definition of mediocre. If anything you help proving my point by bringing him up, he dominated back in that field but getting thoroughly outclassed by the top 5 in todays field.
Oh, you are trolling, cool.

Do you think if you took today's LW fighters and put them back 10-15 years to when BJ was considered great, but they only had access to the same gyms/theories/training methods of that period, that you would consider them equally as mediocre as those who BJ beat or do you think they would still be massively better than him?

This is a like the p4p all time GOAT arguments... its impossible to know man, because we really don't know what BJ's true ceiling is. ITs a good question and I honestly don't know.

Oh, you are trolling, cool.

Sorry someone bursting through your BJ Penn bubble is so traumatic, but aside from thinking you sound cool and in the know sucking him off every time his name is brought up, BJ is an average of below average fighter in todays field of fighters, even in his absolute prime

tumblr_nkcsodCY8K1rkj1e8o1_500.gif

You have to be trolling

Poirier new breed?

{<jordan}

Sorry someone bursting through your BJ Penn bubble is so traumatic, but aside from thinking you sound cool and in the know sucking him off every time his name is brought up, BJ is an average of below average fighter in todays field of fighters, even in his absolute prime
Wow, the troll has a temper.

I am a Machida fan, sorry.

Have you possibly considered that it was more of a monumentally amaterish mistake on Hughes part rather than anything BJ did?

I mean even as a white belt you know not to shift you center of gravity straight into a sitting opponents side like that. You are begging them to take your back especially in no-gi/shirtless/sweaty

Well as a blue belt I recommend you go train somewhere else. Where I train if I stick my ****ing head into someones side while in his guard like that my professor would choke the living shit out of me later on to teach me a lesson

Let me clarify something as I know I am being a couch warrior right now: This is an MMA fight and Hughes might have been tired and worn out and even the best make mistakes at that point, and BJ capitalized on it. Kudos for him, but do you honestly, truly, genuinely believe even a decent blue belt would shift their weight right into an opponents side like that while in his full guard?

My point still stands though:

Of all those people he beat, can you honestly pretend any of them would even break top 10 in todays field of elite fighters? Who? Gomi? Pulver who had to end his career at BANTAMWEIGHT to even stay competitive?

BJ Penn's record and wins seem pedantric at best compared to someone like Khabib or Hendo or Pettis or RDA or any of those elite names who fought when the pool was full of sharks and not just fish

OH MY FUCKING GOD THANK YOU, THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I ALWAYS THINK OF WHEN I THINK OF THE MOST AMAZING REVERSALS EVER.

Despite looking like a pudgy plumber, Fedor had the most explosive and powerful core strength I have ever seen in anyone. Ever.

This is a like the p4p all time GOAT arguments... its impossible to know man, because we really don't know what BJ's true ceiling is. ITs a good question and I honestly don't know.

<SelenaWow>
<Deported1>

tenor.gif

We're trying to have fun bud, go start a BJ Penn hate thread or something.

Back