Is this the best reversal from bottom in UFC history?

Minotauro vs Couture I think. I can't find the gif at the moment.
tumblr_nkcsodCY8K1rkj1e8o1_500.gif
This is always the first one I think of.

I liked the fights between Big Nog and Heath Herring, they had some awesome grapplingexchanges and reversals just like Nog had with Fedor.
Heath was pretty damn good in those days and had mostly exciting fights..

I'm more impressed with BJ's ability to trap the arm when he takes your back and how he can go from side control to mount by slipping his leg through due to his ridiculous dexterity. That sweep was nice though. I was actually at that fight in Anaheim. At the end it was hard to watch him lose though...

My point still stands though:

Of all those people he beat, can you honestly pretend any of them would even break top 10 in todays field of elite fighters? Who? Gomi? Pulver who had to end his career at BANTAMWEIGHT to even stay competitive?

BJ Penn's record and wins seem pedantric at best compared to someone like Khabib or Hendo or Pettis or RDA or any of those elite names who fought when the pool was full of sharks and not just fish
Bj fought in the same era as Hendo. Rda and pettis lost to guida lol.
Bj clearly won the first Edgar fight and was robbed and look at what Frankie has gone on to do. Judging someone by the end of their career is absolutely retarded. I guess shogun, machida, Anderson, fedor, and nog were never great then

Bj fought in the same era as Hendo. Rda and pettis lost to guida lol.
Bj clearly won the first Edgar fight and was robbed and look at what Frankie has gone on to do. Judging someone by the end of their career is absolutely retarded. I guess shogun, machida, Anderson, fedor, and nog were never great then
It's like somebody watching Roy Jones Jr fight the past 10 years, and say he can't compete because boxing has evolved since the 1990's.

idk... as far as overcoming someones IMPRESSIVE top game... to not only get out from under them... but to put them on the bottom, and take over control of top position is DEF. impressive all the time. But my ALL TIME favorite.. is probably this one: ** Starts @ 1: 33 ** !!!

during his GnP, Fedor makes a mistake... Big Nog takes his top position from him. Then Fedor pulls a reversal out of left field and put Nog back down on his back, and is back in mount. This was an impressive fight. By both men. In a time when the sport was VERY young!!!

Not very impressive, just a slow instinctual sweep when Nog was tired after having shite beaten out of him.
If that was UFC or strikeforce era werdum instead of Nog he would have subbed fedor again.

I'm more impressed with BJ's ability to trap the arm when he takes your back and how he can go from side control to mount by slipping his leg through due to his ridiculous dexterity. That sweep was nice though. I was actually at that fight in Anaheim. At the end it was hard to watch him lose though...
The side control to mount move by BJ was used similarly by Brock in the 2nd vs Carwin, I was standing up yelling about the skill and the flexibility that took. I am sure there are other examples, but BJ's impact on the sport was massive.

Honestly bud I stopped arguing with BJ deluded nut huggers a long time ago. The guy has always been just at the right place at the right time and nothing more. He was great in a time of mediocire fighters who wouldn't even crack top 10 in todays crop of fighters but all I ever get from you guys is "but he fought Machida at like Super heavyweight bro!!!111"
Yeah BJ could never beat a world beater like Michael Chiesa..... Rofl

Sherk would beat that clown with ease ffs.

Well as a blue belt I recommend you go train somewhere else. Where I train if I stick my ****ing head into someones side while in his guard like that my professor would choke the living shit out of me later on to teach me a lesson

Let me clarify something as I know I am being a couch warrior right now: This is an MMA fight and Hughes might have been tired and worn out and even the best make mistakes at that point, and BJ capitalized on it. Kudos for him, but do you honestly, truly, genuinely believe even a decent blue belt would shift their weight right into an opponents side like that while in his full guard?
Matt Hughes in his current condition would take your professor down and have his way with him.

BJ Penn is the greatest lightweight of all time.
No, he would get killed by khabib. He might have been had he actually trained and tried to be full potential, but the way he has always been, khabib would dominate him.

idk... as far as overcoming someones IMPRESSIVE top game... to not only get out from under them... but to put them on the bottom, and take over control of top position is DEF. impressive all the time. But my ALL TIME favorite.. is probably this one: ** Starts @ 1: 33 ** !!!

during his GnP, Fedor makes a mistake... Big Nog takes his top position from him. Then Fedor pulls a reversal out of left field and put Nog back down on his back, and is back in mount. This was an impressive fight. By both men. In a time when the sport was VERY young!!!

Its was very impressive. Nog was the best hw around and feared for his bjj, Fedor came in and did things no one thought possible vs nog. Fedor in prime had the best transitions I've ever seen. Not just at hw, at any weight. He was incredible. It was only his 3rd fight in pride, against the best hw around who no one could fuk. W. He demolished nog, while. In jogs guard... Which was unheard-of then.

Best I ever saw is wanderlei propell arona off of him using only Hate. I believe it's the 2nd fight they had.
Yup Wand benchpressed Arona off of him

No, he would get killed by khabib. He might have been had he actually trained and tried to be full potential, but the way he has always been, khabib would dominate him.

Let’s see Khabib fight to a decision at heavyweight. I’ll wait. Penn is better pfp and has wins as heavy as 185.

I don't know if it is the best, but year is is really fucking slick. That was such a great fight

Back