Is Sonnen subbing Shogun one of the greatest upsets of all time?

A guy that never did anything at 205 vs a Goat from the division... what u guys say?

Maybe to you guys in the favela it was an upset. To the rest of the world, it was a celebration.

Wanderlei Kardashian is next.

At the time yes, but in retrospect no. Shogun just got tooled by Gus then went on to get stopped in the 2 fights immediately after.

If it happened a few years prior then yes.

To me it's on par with Weidman beating Anderson the first time

The result itself maybe not a HUGE shock, but the method it was done nobody expected.

Lol, no.

Shogun was looking awful then, and Chael is always a beaslty grappler if you don't make him quit somehow.

Prime Shogun was susceptible to wrestlers anyway.

Later his scrambling and sweeps went to shit + he tried to get up in dumbest moment possible = ....

I always thought hughes choking out a bjj black belt Almeida with a neck crank was a good one

Shogun losing to Forrest felt like the bigger upset of the two. The odds were actually fairly similar between those two fights:

Shogun vs Sonnen - https://www.bestfightodds.com/events/ufc-fight-night-26-shogun-vs-sonnen-685

Shogun was a small -160 favorite to Chael's +150 dog, and interesting enough the odds said it was more likely Sonnen would win by Submission than TKO. Sonnen wins by sub was +575, compared to KO/TKO at +609. So, no, as far as odds go, it's nowhere near the biggest upset.

I attended that event in Boston actually, and I had Sonnen winning the fight by late TKO as Shogun ran out of gas. Didn't happen that way. The place went ballistic when Chael tapped him, it was massive.

Recently, Ben Nguyen tapped Tim Elliott in the first round, and the odds for Nguyen winning by sub were something like +1100.

At the time, I think his RNC loss to Forest Griffin was considered a bigger upset.

No, but a 1st round sub by Chael was surprising. I'd love to see him sub Wand and add another Chute Box finish to his resume.

It would amuse the shit out of me.
I think Brazil wand and UL would probably need to be detained to prevent any self harm.

A small upset that Chael, juiced to the tits, beat an inconsistent Shogun.

An unbelievable upset that Sonnen, who is the tappiest tapper since the other bigmouth that taps easy, managed to sub a guy with solid sub knowledge.

shogun shouldn't have went for that second bodylock takedown.

Not if you were born with a functioning brain, the only people that that think it's a huge upset are Shogun's insufferable fanboys

Shogun also got choked out by Forest, maybe he's just really inconsistent and therefore not that great

A small upset that Chael, juiced to the tits, beat an inconsistent Shogun.

An unbelievable upset that Sonnen, who is the tappiest tapper since the other bigmouth that taps easy, managed to sub a guy with solid sub knowledge.

I think it was game planned. Chael was dominating the first round and Shogun kept sticking his neck out in the half guard, Chael tried it once in the round but let it go, he held on to the second one and finished

To Me, rockhold vs bisping was a big upset. Especially after the first fight. A beating put on bisping, I was expecting the same in the rematch. If bisping won I would have thought it would have been by a desicion. Not by a ko in round 1

Back