Is Sonnen subbing Shogun one of the greatest upsets of all time?

It wasn't about Shogun losing. It was losing to Sonnen by sub.

As I said though that's a sub Shogun has looked vunerable to and is generally a sub where wrestlers can catch high level BJJ players, if Sonnen had say armbared Shogun THAT would have been a much bigger shock.

I was more shocked he subbed him more then the fact he beat him

Definitely one of the more surprising high profile results, especially the speed in which it happened. I think even Chael said something about that's all it takes is one mistake, I'm pretty sure even he didn't see himself winning by sub in the 1st.
Chael said if he fought Shogun 100 more times he'd never pull a guillotine 1st round sub again

I was suprised as hell. Not because Shogun can't get subbed, but because I never saw Chael as a submission artist of any sort. Let alone against a BJJ blackbelt, I mean, how many times have we seen Chael show awful BJJ. It's funny though, I'm sure Chael counts that as a win but he doesn't consider anderson "wrapping his legs around his head for 5 seconds" a win lol.

Most of Chael's losses are to mental hangups and giving up too easily. If Shogun had gotten out of that choke and been in top position there's a strong possibility he could've made Chael quit.

If Chael had more heart to fight through adversity he could've easily been champ.

It was probably the most embarrassing loss of all time, and I say this as a Shogun fan

Having Chael fucking Sonnen pull guard and submit you? Good grief, was that tough to watch.

As I said though that's a sub Shogun has looked vunerable to and is generally a sub where wrestlers can catch high level BJJ players, if Sonnen had say armbared Shogun THAT would have been a much bigger shock.

If he had gotten a flying double armbar, it would have been a bigger shock than THAT.

TS should retitle this to "one of the greatest OUTCOMES of all time." A 1st round sub isn't what anyone expected. If he'd outwrestled Shogun the whole time and caught an exhausted Rua with a sub late in the 3rd round, that wouldn't be as surprising (shades of Forrest-Shogun 1).

It was surprising, but Shogun has been 100% bipolar since coming to ufc and Sonnen despite a couple of his more recent showings isn't exactly a can.

Chael Sonnen winning should never be considered an upset. It's only an upset when he doesn't.

Didn't see it coming but wouldn't classify it was one of the biggest upsets. Forrest Griffin also choked out Shogun ffs

I still have no idea what Shogun was thinking there. Embarrassing.

Not really an upset at all, the fight was basically a toss up with Shogun being a tiny favorite according to Vegas odds. The way he finished by sub in the 1st round was the only reason it seems like an upset to some.

Nope. Chael is a better fighter. Shogun had one good run but is outrageously overrated.

Back