Is Sonnen subbing Shogun one of the greatest upsets of all time?

CereserBr

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
A guy that never did anything at 205 vs a Goat from the division... what u guys say?

To me it was. Never saw that coming.

Sort of I guess but if you leave your neck out there like Shogun did then it's not that surprising.

No, Chael is just a better fighter.

That photo... of Shogun defeated with Chael walking off, looking surprised at himself

Hits me right in the dick every time

To me it was. Never saw that coming.

Shogun has often taken a risk with that sub leaving his head in when looking for sweeps/escapes(Babalu subbed him early on, Overeem threatened first time, Hendo did a bit)so its not a total shock plus he was clearly on his way down by that point.

Last edited:
Nah. Shogun was in a funk where he kept losing. Sonnen was on trt still. He got caught.

I think it's the biggest underrated upset in history.

The masses will say Werdum > Fedor / Weidman > Silva / Holm > Rousey / Serra > GSP

original

lMvPPAE.gif

Shogun has been hot and cold that no one is surprise anymore. Quite frankly, Serry over GSP still stands as all time upset.

I was suprised as hell. Not because Shogun can't get subbed, but because I never saw Chael as a submission artist of any sort. Let alone against a BJJ blackbelt, I mean, how many times have we seen Chael show awful BJJ. It's funny though, I'm sure Chael counts that as a win but he doesn't consider anderson "wrapping his legs around his head for 5 seconds" a win lol.

Shogun has been hot and cold that no one is surprise anymore. Quite frankly, Serry over GSP still stands as all time upset.

This, nothing ever left me more speechless and shocked in MMA. Maybe all of sports.

Definitely one of the more surprising high profile results, especially the speed in which it happened. I think even Chael said something about that's all it takes is one mistake, I'm pretty sure even he didn't see himself winning by sub in the 1st.

No, Shogun was flirting with being considered shot for a long time before that.

Shogun thought they were training and allowed Chael practice the sub.
;)

Shogun has often taken a risk with that sub leaving his head in when looking for sweeps/escapes(Babalu subbed him early on, Overeem threatened first time, Hendo did a bit)so its not a total shot plus he was clearly on his way down by that point.
It wasn't about Shogun losing. It was losing to Sonnen by sub.

No, but a 1st round sub by Chael was surprising. I'd love to see him sub Wand and add another Chute Box finish to his resume.

I expected Sonnen to win by decision, because Shogun has bad TDD. The sub was a surprised.

Absolutely one of the bigger upsets, but there are bigger upsets.

Back