Is Oezdemir's GBH Charge Worse Than Conor's Ref Push?

I would say Volkan's aggravated battery charge was only a bit worse, but he doesn't deserve as much hate for it.
How would you judge that? Is there film out there of Volkans incident?

depends. if volkan beat that dude into a coma and left him with disabalities for life, then yeah its a little worse than conor. still nowhere close to jones drunk driving though.

That's not how that works. When you go pro you are informed that if you get into a fight you can be charged with some serious shit. Courts don't play that shit.
Although ozedemir is claiming self defence you are correct. It appeared in the Lavar Johnson case. They were trying labeling his fists as deadly weapons due to his training background so courts definitely consider it.

Edit: I want to be perfectly clear that I'm not comparing the two incidents as obviously Lavar savagely beat his spouse in a disgusting manner, where we don't know exactly what happened hereand volkan is claiming self defense as well as us not knowing the extent of the conclusion to the physical incident

Probably drunk and punched some other drunk arsehole in the face

He's a pro fighter. Unless he was getting mugged then he has no business getting into fights outside the cage.

That's a ridiculous and unrealistic claim. Ideally no person should have to get into a street fight, but it happens, being a pro fighter doesn't make you exempt from the real world.

Although ozedemir is claiming self defence you are correct. It appeared in the Lavar Johnson case. They were trying labeling his fists as deadly weapons due to his training background so courts definitely consider it.

Edit: I want to be perfectly clear that I'm not comparing the two incidents as obviously Lavar savagely beat his spouse in a disgusting manner, where we don't know exactly what happened hereand volkan is claiming self defense as well as us not knowing the extent of the conclusion to the physical incident
The "hands as a lethal weapon" thing is mostly hollywood bullshit, it's not an actual thing.

Next thing we know, sherdoggers will be asking why guys in the cage don't just punch their opponents nose into their brain or why doesn't Oezdemir put people to sleep with the Volkan neck pinch

If some asshole gets in his face and is begging for it then oh well.

In my country (Russia), person who received less damage in street fighting often will be a defendant in court although often this is wrong, and some "asshole" definitely deserve a blow to the face, but courts act according to the laws.

That's a ridiculous and unrealistic claim. Ideally no person should have to get into a street fight, but it happens, being a pro fighter doesn't make you exempt from the real world.
When you get your pro licence you are told about this shit. In the eyes the law if you engage in a fight with an untrained person you can be charged with assault with a deadly weapon. The training they have received and experience in the cage is considered to be a danger to an average person and is enforced as such.

I think it shouldn't be that cut and dry but it is how they see it in court.

Yeah there's obviously exceptions to the rule. I think that designation of fists and feet as deadly weapons is generally used when the trained fighter is the aggressor or instigator. Also maybe if they take the self defence too far. Like if a fighter got pushed it doesn't let him legally try and ko the other person. But if someone comes up to them at starts winging over hands all bets are off and expect to eat some knuckles

I'm really curious to find out what happened. I'm quite sure someone fucked up royally by starting a fight with a UFC LHW contender who just slept his last 2 opponents in less then a minute.

Someone probably thought he's just an average big guy, started shit and got slept. It's not like he looks like a killer a la Thiago Silva or someone like that.

Volkan_Oezdemir.jpg

My golden rule is, if they have cauliflower ears it's not worth the trouble...

When you get your pro licence you are told about this shit. In the eyes the law if you engage in a fight with an untrained person you can be charged with assault with a deadly weapon. The training they have received and experience in the cage is considered to be a danger to an average person and is enforced as such.

I think it shouldn't be that cut and dry but it is how they see it in court.
That's not entirely true, a lawyer can attempt to use it against you as can a judge, but it is more on a case by case basis, not an actual law.

Yeah there's obviously exceptions to the rule. I think that designation of fists and feet as deadly weapons is generally used when the trained fighter is the aggressor or instigator. Also maybe if they take the self defence too far. Like if a fighter got pushed it doesn't let him legally try and ko the other person. But if someone comes up to them at starts winging over hands all bets are off and expect to eat some knuckles

I don't know where this myth came from or whoever created it, but this is completely false.
You absolutely do not go to the police station to register your limbs as deadly weapons, neither are you held liable of assault with deadly weapons in the event of a fight.
You are simply an athlete having a physical altercation on the street, and you may be prosecuted as a regular citizen.
You however might have to report to your employer what exactly happened, and you might be fired/cut from the roster.

Back