Is concentrated orange juice just sugar and unhealthy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
^^^^ you caught me, I'm just jelaus at your knowledge. I just don't like it when certain posters feel like "the cool crowd" just because they have some studies to back up their opinions. I mean give the best advice you know but don't be cocky or make fun of people who are new to the topic of nutrition. Sarcasm is mostly just making fun of someone here, forgeting that you also started out not knowing much. And sometimes it feels like the point of discussions here is not to help and share opinions but rather to show of "knowledge" to make you feel extra smart. / rant

and how come orange juice sux but gatorade and weight gainers (full of processed carbs) are ok ???

Eh, Gary has a good point. Don't preach something to someone if you are not willing to do it yourself. I get what Rowan is getting at, but fruit juices are a perfect example.

You should not preach to someone how "bad" juices are for you, and then two days later have a glass of OJ with breakfast. I don't tell people to do something I won't do myself. Making suggestions to one's diet is fine, but some force their theory as it is the law. I did it to Zerg with corn and Monger corrected me with a different perspective. That is what I picked up from here. That is the way we do things here, and it is wrong.

1.I think most of the people giving advice here practice what they preach.
2. Even if they don't, it doesn't change the facts. No individual's dietary habits change reality...for example, if I were drinking fruit juice every day, that would not mean it was suddenly healthy to drink fruit juice, and it would be wrong to suggest such a habit was OK.

^^^^ you caught me, I'm just jelaus at your knowledge. I just don't like it when certain posters feel like "the cool crowd" just because they have some studies to back up their opinions. I mean give the best advice you know but don't be cocky or make fun of people who are new to the topic of nutrition. Sarcasm is mostly just making fun of someone here, forgeting that you also started out not knowing much. And sometimes it feels like the point of discussions here is not to help and share opinions but rather to show of "knowledge" to make you feel extra smart. / rant

So we shouldn't post actual information to back up what we say? Wow. :icon_conf

Second, "the best advice you know" isn't necessarily accurate, which is why we must post science to back up what we say. The road to nutritional hell is paved with well-intentioned advice.

Again, who on this board is being cocky, sarcastic, etc.? I find this sub-forum to be the best dispositioned of all the the sub-forums. We exchange a lot of information in a positive manner. New guys are welcomed and learn quickly, unless they happen to be trolls. If you're having a problem with someone, let me or another of the mods know.

and how come orange juice sux but gatorade and weight gainers (full of processed carbs) are ok ???

THEY ARE NOT OK! Not generally, anyway. Circumstances can change that, but if you think this forum in generally supports consumption of sugar-laden sports drinks and gainers, you haven't been paying much attention.

This

This usually depends on the approach of the person asking the questions.
Yet this...

You both have valid points. You are arguing the same cause.

I'm with Xtrainer on this, I think concentrated orange juice sucks and is basically empty calories. I little bit of Vit C is not a good enough excuse to down a load of sugary water. If you want an orange flavoured vit C boost, then eat an orange.

THEY ARE NOT OK! Not generally, anyway. Circumstances can change that, but if you think this forum in generally supports consumption of sugar-laden sports drinks and gainers, you haven't been paying much attention.

I got the impression that weight gainers are considered ok
http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f15/weight-gainers-1063742/

And as for the sugary sport drinks, I hear gatorade adviced pretty often on here.

Anyways I was just a little pissed by some things in this forum generally not in this particular thread. I've been lurking sherdog daily since like four years ago so it kind of sumed up. But yes generally this is a pretty decent forum just that people post to sound smart a little to often IMO. And when someone doesn't have a nicely worded thread with some noobish questions the answers often are : facepalm, gaawd and/or some ridiculing images.

"Clears out the arteries"? What is that supposed to mean? Your arteries don't work like your colon, you can't just "wash away" stuff with some fiber. If you're an active athlete, you probably don't need to worry about your arteries anyway, but if you do, eat some greek yogurt instead. The carbs in oatmeal (porridge) and fruit juice are bad for your arteries, they cause inflammation. You could eat eggs instead too, but then we'd get into the whole discussion about whether eggs raise cholesterol or not in large amounts.

Wow, i didnt know porridge and OJ were bad for the arteries. I read they were good for the arteries in mens fitness or a mag like that. Cant beleive what you read nowadays.
But didnt know Greek yoghurt was good.

I got the impression that weight gainers are considered ok
http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f15/weight-gainers-1063742/

I think you need to read that thread again...it is hardly flattering of weight gainers :icon_conf And weight gainers do have a place, more so than fruit juice, IMO...if anyone can benefit from a calorically dense drink, like juice or a gainer, it's someone actually trying to gain weight.

Nonetheless, there are usually better ways to go about gaining. The people who actually "need" gainers are few and far between.

And as for the sugary sport drinks, I hear gatorade adviced pretty often on here.

By newbs, trolls, and begin passers-by, not the regulars, the "veterans," or the mods. We can't, and don't want to, censor every bit of bad advice.

And when someone doesn't have a nicely worded thread with some noobish questions the answers often are : facepalm, gaawd and/or some ridiculing images.

That's because it's impolite to treat this forum like you own it, i.e. like it is your own personal advisor...we have stickies for a reason...new threads should actually contribute to the discussion. This forum is not interested in answering questions that have already been answered 100x AND are found in stickies AND can be searched up AND can be easily Googled.

Wow, i didnt know porridge and OJ were bad for the arteries. I read they were good for the arteries in mens fitness or a mag like that. Cant beleive what you read nowadays.
But didnt know Greek yoghurt was good.

Excess carbohydrates can be bad in myriad ways, but yeah, fitness mags are full of crap.

On the other hand, I have no idea what angle Rowan is coming from with the yogurt thing (Rowan, care to explain?). I'm a big fan of yogurt myself, but I've never heard of it doing anything specifically useful for atherosclerosis or the circulatory system in general.

@ XTrainer - ok sounds pretty reasonable, but still there are some pretty mean mofos on sherdog also in the D&S, and funny how now paleo is God when like a year ago Berrardis 7 rules were taken for the truth.

like xtrainer said, sugar and sugar laden drinks like gatorade may be beneficial under certain situations. Particularly in fasted training or prolonged training.

as well, assuming many people here eat a diet rich in meat and veggies, empty calories that fit into your macros isnt going to make a difference. Not to mention athletes have greater caloric requirements.

You never get tired of discussing, now do you :icon_lol: ? Actualy I remember that post, but didn't see your response till now. Anyways, I guess a little criticism sometimes is also good (running out of smart things to say)

Eh, Gary has a good point. Don't preach something to someone if you are not willing to do it yourself. I get what Rowan is getting at, but fruit juices are a perfect example.

You should not preach to someone how "bad" juices are for you, and then two days later have a glass of OJ with breakfast. I don't tell people to do something I won't do myself. Making suggestions to one's diet is fine, but some force their theory as it is the law. I did it to Zerg with corn and Monger corrected me with a different perspective. That is what I picked up from here. That is the way we do things here, and it is wrong.

So you're basically saying it comes down to what we do or don't do, determines if advice is good or bad? That makes absolutely no sense.

What if, for example, Mark Sisson or John Berardi came on here and gave the same advice they've been giving, but some how don't follow it themselves. Does that mean the advice is wrong?

I don't know, maybe you're talking about it from a moral stand point; but that doesn't translate into much when talking about food and what is good for optimal health.

so other than the whole "fruit has sugar in it" what is exactly wrong with drinking fruit juice again? if someone does not care or does not need to worry about weight, what is the problem? i take in no excess sugar in my day, but i have a glass of organic OJ, or apple juice.. or sometimes make a smoothie with blueberries and strawberries... what is so bad about fruit again?

^Furthermore, we all have problems of varying degrees with our diets, whether because of lifestyle, discipline, financial issues, whatever. Doesn't mean we should give advice about we do, necessarily.

For example, as a college student living in a dorm right now, and eating either in the caf or what I can conceivably store and prepare in my dorm, my options are far more limited than they are at home. Just because I RECOGNIZE when I'm making dietary compromises doesn't mean it's OK. Recognition is just that: I know when my diet is suboptimal, but that doesn't mean I'm going to recommend those practices. That would be ridiculous.

so other than the whole "fruit has sugar in it" what is exactly wrong with drinking fruit juice again? if someone does not care or does not need to worry about weight, what is the problem? i take in no excess sugar in my day, but i have a glass of organic OJ, or apple juice.. or sometimes make a smoothie with blueberries and strawberries... what is so bad about fruit again?

My post was to the guy above you, I'll get back to this later. Gotta go to work!

My post was to the guy above you, I'll get back to this later. Gotta go to work!

cool. im not even trying to be a dick.. im actually curious. i drink mainly water, but i didnt think there was anything wrong with a glass of non-concentrated or freshly squeezed juice in the morning.

I don't know, maybe you're talking about it from a moral stand point; but that doesn't translate into much when talking about food and what is good for optimal health.
lol... you missed what I was getting at, either that or I worded it poorly. What I'm saying is; people should not be drilling certain theories that they themselves do not apply.

So, I'm not saying whether or not someone is giving good or ill advice, I'm saying that you shouldn't press something so hard, if you yourself, do not do it. Take carbs for example. Why should I scold someone about how "bad" carbs are, if I eat them as well? I was not supporting what he was saying per se, I just was mentioning that I don't like when people are hypocrites. Practice what you preach, and preach what you practice. Bad advice is still bad advice. What you personally do does not change that. So no... that's not what I was saying. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back