Is concentrated orange juice just sugar and unhealthy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Colinfirth

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
I read in a MMA magazine that concentrated juice has all the goodness taken from it and is basically just sugar. And freshly squeezed is all you should be thinking about drinking.
But in other reports i heard concentrated is just as good. Dont know what to believe. This worries me because ive just begun drinking OJ and its the concentrated cheaper variety.

ALL fruit juices are essentially sugar water, whether they are from concentrate or not. You might get some peripheral benefits, like antioxidants, but seriously, that's almost like getting excited about the vitamins in cereal.

In short, If you're consuming 30g of sugar in order to get your daily vitamin C, you're doing far more harm than good.

ALL fruit juices are essentially sugar water, whether they are from concentrate or not. You might get some peripheral benefits, like antioxidants, but seriously, that's almost like getting excited about the vitamins in cereal.

In short, If you're consuming 30g of sugar in order to get your daily vitamin C, you're doing far more harm than good.

This.

Also, it's pretty easy to go over the top with juice. If you have 250ml glass of OJ, that is way more juice than you would get from eating a whole orange, therefore you'd run the risk of consuming too much and thus too much sugar. stick to the real thing is basically what im getting at!

Fruit juice is not bad for you.Dont get crazy with it and your fine.Fresh squeezed is definetly gonna be better though.

Would you say a 250ml glass of concentrate in the morning is bad though with porridge.
Ive never heard any dieaticains say a glass of OJ is bad though. Just this current MMA magazine in the diet column of a MMA magazine with Anderson Silva on the front cover.

I heard OJ and porridge together clears out the arteries better than either would do alone. So would a 250ml glass of concentrate be too much. So should i consider drinking a smaller glass if neccesary.?

Forget the juice man. Eat real fruit and drink water.

Fruit juice is not bad for you.Dont get crazy with it and your fine.Fresh squeezed is definetly gonna be better though.

C'mon man...it's fine, even encouraged to post when you disagree. Merely asserting your disagreement, however, contributes nothing to the discussion.

Forget the juice man. Eat real fruit and drink water.

Good advice. But its so much more convenient in the morning to drink a glass of OJ, rather than peel an orange.
I will more than likely still drink OJ with my porridge. But wont drink so much.

it's not a problem if you aren't having issues from it, but that doesn't mean it's a generally good practice. it's certainly better than mountain dew, but if you're fat, being fat is your problem, probably not so much scurvy.

Would you say a 250ml glass of concentrate in the morning is bad though with porridge.
Ive never heard any dieaticains say a glass of OJ is bad though. Just this current MMA magazine in the diet column of a MMA magazine with Anderson Silva on the front cover.

I heard OJ and porridge together clears out the arteries better than either would do alone. So would a 250ml glass of concentrate be too much. So should i consider drinking a smaller glass if neccesary.?

"Clears out the arteries"? What is that supposed to mean? Your arteries don't work like your colon, you can't just "wash away" stuff with some fiber. If you're an active athlete, you probably don't need to worry about your arteries anyway, but if you do, eat some greek yogurt instead. The carbs in oatmeal (porridge) and fruit juice are bad for your arteries, they cause inflammation. You could eat eggs instead too, but then we'd get into the whole discussion about whether eggs raise cholesterol or not in large amounts.

Just factor in the carbs you will be consuming from your OJ with the rest of your daily intake. People act way too strict on here and most are probably lying about how strict they are.

Just factor in the carbs you will be consuming from your OJ with the rest of your daily intake. People act way too strict on here and most are probably lying about how strict they are.

That's not really the point, is it? Are we not allowed to offer advice that we don't follow 100% of the time now? No one's perfect, but if the guy asks if OJ is healthy, I'd rather have a real answer rather than just saying "Whatever, no one's perfect".

That's not really the point, is it? Are we not allowed to offer advice that we don't follow 100% of the time now? No one's perfect, but if the guy asks if OJ is healthy, I'd rather have a real answer rather than just saying "Whatever, no one's perfect".

Define "healthy."

The whole point of this thread is that the TS is going to drink it regardless and was just curious of what everyone else would say about it.

I'm not sure where you were going with the whole "Whatever, no one's perfect" thing. If the carbs, vitamins, etc are needed in his diet, it fits into his macros and he enjoys drinking orange juice it does more than just satisfy his taste buds, it helps his mental health as well. To me that's healthy.

I totally agree, many here just like to feel like elitists. When we all know that they are not pro athletes or nutrition experts, not saying you don't get good advice here but there's to much posing going on.

Well that's awfully presumptuous. I can tell you for a fact that I do not drink fruit juice because it is essentially sugar water, albeit with a relative pinch of redeeming value. If you can't take my word on that, well, I guess that's your problem.

Define "healthy."

The whole point of this thread is that the TS is going to drink it regardless and was just curious of what everyone else would say about it.

I'm not sure where you were going with the whole "Whatever, no one's perfect" thing. If the carbs, vitamins, etc are needed in his diet, it fits into his macros and he enjoys drinking orange juice it does more than just satisfy his taste buds, it helps his mental health as well. To me that's healthy.

Why should the TS be so close-minded about NEEDING to drink juice? He can make his own choice, of course, but it would be silly not to entertain the advice that his question invited.

Furthermore, the bolded part is circular: You basically said, "If the orange juice is healthy for him, then it is healthy for him."

The problem is that it probably is NOT healthy for him.

Is a glass of OJ a day going to make or break a serious athlete's diet, in and of itself? No, probably not. But neither will a Snickers bar, for that matter. Doesn't mean it's ideal.

I totally agree, many here just like to feel like elitists. When we all know that they are not pro athletes or nutrition experts, not saying you don't get good advice here but there's to much posing going on.

Who's posing and how so?

Eh, Gary has a good point. Don't preach something to someone if you are not willing to do it yourself. I get what Rowan is getting at, but fruit juices are a perfect example.

You should not preach to someone how "bad" juices are for you, and then two days later have a glass of OJ with breakfast. I don't tell people to do something I won't do myself. Making suggestions to one's diet is fine, but some force their theory as it is the law. I did it to Zerg with corn and Monger corrected me with a different perspective. That is what I picked up from here. That is the way we do things here, and it is wrong.

Never mind the corn thing ^^ ^^
Yeah that was my bad. That's what I was taught, so that was what I was teaching (similar applications to the nutrition field now regarding "hot topics"). It's nice to see someone like Monger who does not have biased opinions. So, the whole corn thing was my bad. I think I had corn bread the following weekend. lol :icon_lol: And it was.... delicious.

You can call people with more practical knowledge regarding nutrition than ordinary people posers all you like, but it doesn't change that juice sucks and you should eat whole fruit, no matter what perspective you take.

When people come here asking questions, they get two things, answers and/or sarcasm. Most aren't mature enough to handle either, which to me is half the amusement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back