inspirational quotes for fighting/training.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight but the size of the fight in the dog.
(not sure who said that)

I believe it was Mark Twain

Speaking of Mark Twain for all of those people that ask if X is too old to start Y

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Its: "If do right, no can defense." Study up boy!!

:redface: I am ashamed. I rightfully give up my secret techniques to the crane kick, drum punch, comeback kata, and that praying kick Hillary Swank used.

"It does not matter how slow you go so long as you do not stop." - confucius

-Now this is the Law of the jungle as old and as true as the sky; and the Wolf that keeps it may prosper, but the Wolf that breaks it must die. As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk the Law runneth forward and back... For the Strength of the Pack is the Wolf and the Strength of the Wolf is the pack" -kipling

I <3 Paulo Coelho.

But there is suffering in life, and there are defeats. No one can avoid them. But it's better to lose some of the battles in the struggles for your dreams than to be defeated without ever knowing what you're fighting for.

Tell your heart that the fear of suffering is worse than the suffering itself. And no heart has ever suffered when it goes in search of its dream.

You have to take risks. We will only understand the miracle of life fully when we allow the unexpected to happen.

Pitiful is the person who is afraid of taking risks. Perhaps this person will never be disappointed or disillusioned; perhaps she won't suffer the way people do when they have a dream to follow. But when the person looks back-she will hear her heart saying, 'What have you done with the miracles that G-d planted in your days? What have you done with the talents G-d bestowed on you? You buried yourself in a cave because you were fearful of losing those talents. So this is your heritage: the certainty that you have wasted your life.

"It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by the dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy course; who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat."

- Theodore Roosevelt

my trainer has a copy of this framed in the gym, its a great quote

"Make your worst day your best day and never give up." - Vitor Belfort

"Whether you think you are going to win or lose, you are right."

you miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

hard without soft wastes energy. soft without hard can never strike.

mercy is for the weak. we do not train to be merciful here. here, in the street, in compettion; if a man confronts you he is the ENEMY. an enemy deserves no mercy.

I have a running list that I copy and paste to when ever I find lines that I like, alot of them I got from these forums from similar threads and people's sigs, i'm collecting them because i plan on when i open my gym i want to have "moto-quotes" stenciled on the walls. here are a few of my favorites:

Don&#8217;t go into the woods if you are afraid of the wolves. &#8211; Russian proverb

Competition is just an education exchange. Either you are giving a lesson or you are getting one. If you see it that way, win or lose it is a win-win endeavor.

"Engage in combat fully determined to die and you will be alive; wish to survive in the battle and you will surely meet death." -Uesugi Kenshin, Samurai warlord, 1530-1578

&#8220;Sportsmanship is not just about being nice. It is much more important than that. It's about realizing that you could not compete without an opponent and that she has the same goals as you." ---Stephanie Deibler

"Anyone has a chance to beat me, it was yesterday. Every day I get better." - Kimbo Slice

A ship in the harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for.

When your throat is grabbed no one is brave. Everyone sleeps very fast &#8211; Helio Gracie

Now I lay you down to sleep, because my choke is sunk so deep. Feel the rush, your world goes black, all because you gave your back.

"You're beating them mentally, you're beating them
physically, beating physiologically because you rest and eat right, and
spiritually because you pray to the lord Jesus Christ. You got five, or
six, or seven dimensions in that. You put it on a level that your
opponent cannot understand. He quits, not because he wants to, but
because he has to. He has no choice." &#8211; Tom Brands Hawkeyes Head Wrestling Coach

Get a strong fighter tired, and he's not as strong. Get a fast fighter tired, and he's not as fast. It's those who learn to function when they're tired who will achieve great things.

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered, Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid, Thus the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - unknown

If violence wasn't your last resort you probably didn't resort to enough of it.

I wasn't put on this earth to be a pussy.-Jim Wendler

It's not about how good you are, it's how bad you want it.

"Fighting is actually the best thing a man can have in his soul." - Renzo Gracie

mercy is for the weak. We do not train to be merciful here. Here, in the street, in compettion; if a man confronts you he is the enemy. An enemy deserves no mercy.

strikefirststrikehardnomercysir!!!

"If you knew you had to fight for your life tomorrow, would you change your training today? ...

I ask myself this sometimes and it works

"I have missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I have lost almost 300 games. On 26 occassions I have been entrusted to take the game winning shot . . . and missed. And I have failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why . . . I succeed."
-Michael Jordan

"When you are the anvil, be patient. When you are the hammer, strike."
-Arabian Proverb

Find something beyond winning or losing to fight for and you will learn to move beyond fear - Me

I don't mean to rip on you, but I hate that quote. I mean if you fall down 7 times you can only get up 7 times. You wouldn't say fall down once get up twice, because in order to get up twice you have to fall down twice.....just sayin.:rolleyes:

Wait, I think it works if you already start in the "down" position. Then you have to get up once just to get knocked down the first time. Woa, that's not very inspirational.

That is the whole secret of successful fighting. Get your enemy at a disadvantage; and never, on any account, fight him on equal terms.

George Bernard Shaw... Love it.

But I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, his greatest fulfillment of all he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious.
--Vince Lombardi

A minute's success pays for the failure of years. - Robert Browning

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit. - Aristotle

Victory belongs to the most perservering. - Napoleon

Only the mediocre are always at their best. - Jean Giradoux

Be not afraid of moving slowly; be only afraid of standing still.

Victory is reserved for those who are willing to pay its price. - Sun Tzu

Good, better, best. Never let it rest. Until your good is better and your better is best. -Tim Duncan

It is possible to fail in many ways... while to succeed is possible in only one way. - Aristotle

Show me a good and gracious loser and I'll show you a failure. - Knute Rockne

You can motivate by fear and you can motivate by rewad. But those methods are only temporary. The only lasting thing is self-motivation. - Homer Rice

Sorry for the long post, but I'm kind of a quote freak. I always keep a running list typed on my iPhone so I can read it whenever. Oh, and the idea to have quotes all over the walls of your gym (I'm imagining this like a wallpaper of just quotes at different angles and collaged together) is a greta one. +1 to you sir.

"Those who dream by night, in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that all was vanity, but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, and make it possible." -T.E. Lawrence (Lawrence of Arabia)

I also just heard this song today & thought it was pretty good for motivation.

Back