inspirational quotes for fighting/training.

If it's guard you lack,
Get back on the mat.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited:
"For me, its much more simple than everybody thinks. Maybe there are people that train more than me. Its not about the amount of training. I used to train at the academy together with about 100 other people and everybody used to train and learn the same techniques - training with the same people. I think its what you want in life.

Ive set a goal for myself that is very high. A lot of people set the goal that they want to be a world champion or they just want to be a good black belt or jiu jitsu fighter. I never had a doubt. I never thought I was going to be great... I told myself I want to be the best in the world. I dont want to be second best, I dont want to be just a world champion, I dont care about titles....i dont care about anything else - I wont loose to anybody.

I used to train with people who beat me and I know that if I train hard, I will beat them. Over time, things just start to happen. It was nothing that I did that was special. There were probably a lot of people who trained harder than me that never got to my level. The only thing I can say about that is because that they didnt really want it. People say they do, but they dont really. I think that when you want something, everything is possible...Its not an easy path. You have to put in your mind, body and spirit in it...and thats what I did. I put my mind, body and spirit towards the goal.

This is why even now, I am 29 years old, I have fought in every world championship since I was 18 or 19. I have never stopped and told myself 'Ive accomplished enough' or 'im going to train less.' Every year since I was 17 years old I have been better. Even until now. It wasn't enough even when I was 24 and had been a black belt for 3 years. I am much better than I was at 24. Every year that comes by I am a better fighter.

I dont see that in other fighters. They become really good and then suddenly they start declining. You see them fighting every year and this year they were worse than last year and suddenly they are not winning anything. You see great fighters that win 1 or 2 world championships and then they disappear. You dont hear of them anymore... In their mind, they set their goals. They were really good and for 2 years straight and they beat everybody. Now they are happy and start doing something else. I never had that. Titles for me? They are nothing. They are medals that stay in your drawer....Thats the difference."

Roger Gracie

I train every day of my life as they have never trained a day in theirs.
-Alexander Karelin, on why he wins

Sorry if already posted, not going to look through the whole thread, but this is my all time favorite.

i'm pretty sure it's supposed to be: "always aim for the moon, that way if you fall short, you're still among the stars"

I hate that retarded quote. The moon is much closer than any star. I know it's not supposed to be literal, but it would work better if reversed.

Don't think this was posted but this is my favorite fighting quote that has a double meaning about life:

'everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face'
-Mike Tyson

get up! Get Up you bum!! I didn't hear no bell!!! -Mickey

"winning isnt everything, wanting to win is"

Already posted, oh well I live by this quote.

Last edited:
The Gracie Academy t-shirts are pretty solid. My favorite is:

Familia: By Blood or by Sweat

"I don't intimidate people before the fight. That is ridiculous. I intimidate people by punching them in the face." Tyson

hard work solves everything. -Gable

"The only thing I fear when I enter the ring is that someone will steal my things from the locker room." - Mirko 'Cro Cop' Filipović.

If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
But make allowance for their doubting too;
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don

Back