I'm sorry but the whole sequence was illegal......

Your delusional..
Edgar has fought once..that's almost a year ago.
And since then stephens lost to him has had 3 fights on the bounce winning and one loss before that since the time frankie has been at home becoming irrelevant.

But yeah..whatever you say must be right..

Frankie has won 7 of 8 only loss a decision to Aldo, has a win over Stephens and has never fought the champ

Stephens has a loss to Edgar, loss to the champ and just lost to a no name like 4 or 5 fights ago

Not sure how there is much of a case for Stephens over whoever wins next weekend and I’m not sure why anyone would want a title fight rematch of a fight that wasn’t even competitive in the first place

Max dusts Stephens again if they fight, Frankie vs Max would be interesting

People who say that the knee didn't land are blind lol.

Watched it in slow motion.....the knee glanced his shoulder on the way up and hit the head on the way down....

Its borderline....the strike didnt make contact.....the retraction did....

More of a gravity issue than an intentional, full force illegal strike.....

Emmett should have defended the strike instead of just assuming it wouldnt happen in a fight....

Nowhere near as bad a weidman mousasi....but along those lines as far as ref discretion goes.....the decision will not be overturned....

Some people around here are so influenced by the commentators.

How bout this one. Was Emmett trying to turtle up or defend intelligently while elbows were being rained down on him? No, be wasn't defending himself intelligently. Which is grounds for losing by TKO.

He was so fucked up by the hook that dropped him, all he did to defend the elbows was blindly crawl on all fours like a drunken dog, not covering up. It is his fault a couple of them landed near the back of the head. His fault alone.

When he was getting to his knees he still wasn't defending at all. A knee to the head would've dropped him like a sack of shit at this point. The knee missed and didn't do fuck all to Emmett. A stiff breeze could've knocked Emmett over at this point! Stephens basically just PUSHED him over after the knee missed. That's how fucked Emmett was at this point. Then he fucking obliiiterated him with elbows.

Fuck, if anyone is gonna cry about anything concerning this finish, cry about a late stoppage. Just cause Cormier was in a certain mood that night and made more noise than usual, it's like some people forgot the actual rules that pertain to most fights. And how logic works. Or how other factors a commentator speculating about seem utterly fucking redundant (their opinion) compared to reality.

Imo even if an illegal strike is thrown and misses, the ref should halt action and warn the offender. Next illegal strike thrown, landing or not results in a point deduction. There are advantages to throwing and missing illegal strikes.

More of a gravity issue than an intentional, full force illegal strike.....

Emmett should have defended the strike instead of just assuming it wouldnt happen in a fight....

He was trying to knee his head off from an illegal position, doesn't really matter if it's only the retraction that hits him. The intent was pretty clear.

And you shouldn't expect from someone to defend a strike that's not allowed.

Did A Silva’s knee land on Chael’s head? Why or why not?

I only ask for context. Thanks.

PS I’m of the mindset that if the red called it or if he didn’t, I wouldn’t complain. The sport has had literally hundreds of close calls like this, nothing makes this one that special other than it was recent. I *do* think Stephens is just lucky it didn’t land cleanly because it was clearly thrown illegally.
UFC160-JDSXMarkHunt-Rd3-2a-realtime-side-KO-400-sg.gif

Mark Hunt has possibly the greatest chin in MMA history and he got KO'd by a kick THAT DIDN'T LAND according to people who think Jeremy's knee didn't land.

i know people are saying stephen's elbow should be allowed since emmett was moving, but still stephens has to be in control of himself as well. Cant just swing aimlessley at a guy and say "well doesnt matter where it landed he moved" Its the same with refs warning fighters for leading with their fingers out. Have to be in control of yourself and cant just blame eye pokes and the other guy moving his eyeball towards the fingers.

Frankie has won 7 of 8 only loss a decision to Aldo, has a win over Stephens and has never fought the champ

Stephens has a loss to Edgar, loss to the champ and just lost to a no name like 4 or 5 fights ago

Not sure how there is much of a case for Stephens over whoever wins next weekend and I’m not sure why anyone would want a title fight rematch of a fight that wasn’t even competitive in the first place

Max dusts Stephens again if they fight, Frankie vs Max would be interesting
Stephens vs TCity would be fun too.

UFC160-JDSXMarkHunt-Rd3-2a-realtime-side-KO-400-sg.gif

Mark Hunt has possibly the greatest chin in MMA history and he got KO'd by a kick THAT DIDN'T LAND according to people who think Jeremy's knee didn't land.

I undertand the point, The punch that KO Travis was also difficult to see the landing...

People who believe Stephen Knee didn´t land, they are just in denial.

Vitor still has credit for these 2 wins, after blatantly landing illegal punches:

BelfortkoAkiyama.gif

ffwELo.gif

He was trying to knee his head off from an illegal position, doesn't really matter if it's only the retraction that hits him. The intent was pretty clear.

And you shouldn't expect from someone to defend a strike that's not allowed.

There is no such thing as an illegal position, just an illegal strike.

By definition, a strike that misses can not be illegal. A retraction making contact is not a threat to safety, and unless you wanted stephens to hold his knee up indefinitely, it was pretty unavoidable.

As far as what fighters should expect, there is a bit too much gamesmanship going on. If Emmett would have defeated Stephens, this wouldn't even be a discussion.

If fighters train to win fights instead of custom tailoring their training with assumptions, Emmett would have blocked the knee with his forearms or waited for a more opportune time to stand instead of exposing himself to a very dangerous potential strike.

Getting on all fours facing a standing opponent in a fight is insanely risky and should be avoided instead of just assuming your opponent wont attack you. Its so stupid that it should be a signal to the ref that it might be time to stop the fight.

Fighters shouldnt get a pass for doing stupid things in a fight because some arbitrary ruleset makes it magically not stupid. Its like mayweather turning his back during the boxing match.....it should have been completely legal for Mcgregor to punch the shit out of the back of his head.

Last edited:
Just seeing the finish.

That last blow was hard. Emmet was out as fuck.

If fighters train to win fights instead of custom tailoring their training with assumptions, Emmett would have blocked the knee with his forearms or waited for a more opportune time to stand instead of exposing himself to a very dangerous potential strike.

Getting on all fours facing a standing opponent in a fight is insanely risky and should be avoided instead of just assuming your opponent wont attack you. Its so stupid that it should be a signal to the ref that it might be time to stop the fight.

Fighters shouldnt get a pass for doing stupid things in a fight because some arbitrary ruleset makes it magically not stupid. Its like mayweather turning his back during the boxing match.....it should have been completely legal for Mcgregor to punch the shit out of the back of his head.

I'm sorry for arguing, wasn't aware you are mentally handicapped.

Apology accepted.

You are coming from the "it's fighting not mma" standpoint, and that in itself is pretty stupid but blaming Emmett to train under a certain ruleset ("custom tailoring their training with assumptions"), is just retarded.

That's like throwing lowkicks in a boxing fight, and then complaining that the other fighter isn't defending them. If I'm grounded, I shouldn't have to assume somebody is trying to take my head off with a knee.

You are coming from the "it's fighting not mma" standpoint, and that's fine but blaming Emmett to train under a certain ruleset ("custom tailoring their training with assumptions"), is just plain stupid.

That's like throwing lowkicks in a boxing fight, and then complaining that the other fighter isn't defending them. If I'm grounded, I shouldn't have to assume somebody is trying to take my head off with a knee.

Boxing has always been pattycake. MMA's roots are in NHB, where styles were tested against eachother to see which is more effective. Its training for a simulated combat scenario.

Fighters shouldn't be developing bad habits to suit a ruleset at the expense of making them worse fighters.

Belfort said it better than i could.

belfortkickufc152.gif

I really wish that kick would have landed. It would have sent a clear message to people trying to game the ruleset.

I'm not disputing the clean hook that dropped Emmett, that was a great shot.

But Jeremy hit him with two blatant elbows to the back of the head.

He also hit him with a knee that grazed him and then landed to the back of the head on the way down.

I'm not saying Jeremy is a dirty fighter but those are 4 counts of illegal shots, two elbows and a grazed knee and a knee to the back of the head.

giphy.gif

how much did you lose on Josh?

Back