I'm all for those Romero's elbows, but aren't they 12-6?

So, I think there were about forty-seven or so illegal elbows before the near death late stoppage by this absolutely horrible ref.

I also believe 12-6 elbows are illegal to the body. Am I wrong? I think Kongo was warned when he threw them against Buentello a while ago.

And to quote someone else ...

I think the ref was a little hesitant in stopping the fight since the elbows were to the body, but yes, I think they were illegal elbows and the fight should be overturned. I think Brunson just gassed towards the end of the second round which really sucks as he is legit.

I think the fact that the ref almost let the guy die is a much more important talking point than the elbows that were thrown after the fight was done

I agree wholeheartedly. However, a part of that was the fact that those elbows were illegal, to the kidney (some, I believe) and those exacerbated the incredibly late stoppage.

Just to play devil's advocate. Does the 12-6 rule only apply to strikes to the head?

No.

Multiple illegal elbows. Does not matter if he was on his way to losing the fight. Those elbows looked brutal.

If it had an arc it's legal.

Striking downward using the point of the elbow.
All elbow strikes are legal except for an elbow that is thrown in a downward trajectory (hand traveling from 12 o

These rules are BS anyway, in a real MMA fight Romero should be able to just stand up and soccer kick Brunson in the head if the ref isn't stopping and I am not even kidding.

look at the ref. he isn't even looking at the strikes. he is just thinking in his head should I stop it or should I let him eat 100 more strikes

I think he wanted to stop it sooner but was scared to step in.

They were illegal.

But the rules are totally fucked and make no sense.

I just rewatched them. They were 12:05-6:35. Perfectly legal. Now stop with all the fuzz

I'm pretty sure every single elbow he threw was illegal. There weren't a few of them mixed in. Instead, all of them were illegal.

Those were kidney shots too.

Then the ref stopped it incredibly late.

Shit reffing all the way around. Incredibly inept stuff right there from that official.

I know they were, but that fight was over before the elbows.

Ref had money on Brunson.

Illegal elbows but I still count it as a legit win. A non shit ref that would call Romero out on those Elbows also would of stopped the fight before he used them.

I cannot believe that people think the result should be overturned. Stop trying to use technicalities to take away from someone's win. Those elbows are legit and there is nothing wrong about them. People seem to forget that this is a FIGHT.

no those were 10 to 4:30 , 12 to 6 is straight up and down, they were close but not quite true 12 to 6

Those ones definitely are illegal. But i don't think they'd overturn it because they didn't change the eventual outcome. People should reference those next time some idiot tries to argue that Travis Browne threw 12-6 elbows in an arc.
5.gif

towards the end you can see that he brings his elbow straight down because it's directly above the body, as opposed to travis browne whose body is directly above Barnett, making a 12-6 impossible
000.gif
bumping this since it got buried mid edit

12-6 elbows should be legal. That said, they're illegal so the ref blew it.

Last edited:
I thought 12-6 only applied to the head and shoulders?

I cannot believe that people think the result should be overturned. Stop trying to use technicalities to take away from someone's win. Those elbows are legit and there is nothing wrong about them. People seem to forget that this is a FIGHT.

Except for that they were not legit and there were plenty wrong with them. Tough shit if people do not like the rule, ignoring it is silly. Might as well ignore the downed opponent rule and plenty of people think it is stupid too.

Back