I'm all for those Romero's elbows, but aren't they 12-6?

maybe they were 12 to 5?

the refs are supposed to enforce the rules right?

I don't really care because its a stupid rule but even the stupid ones should be enforced

Ok, either start calling these illegal shots or make them legal. How is a fighter supposed to know what to do when he can throw some 12-6's and end it, or maybe get a point taken or dq'ed?

I don't want to say that I am discrediting the win, I just do not like the ref not calling a blatant foul.

Sure the rule can be crap, but so is the downed opponent rule. And if I had my face blasted off by an illegal knee in an MMA fight, I would hope it would be called.

I can agree with you on that. Hopefully some rule changes arrive soon with the departure of Keith Kizer.

Ok, either start calling these illegal shots or make them legal. How is a fighter supposed to know what to do when he can throw some 12-6's and end it, or maybe get a point taken or dq'ed?

This. Thank you

Didn't Brunson kick him in the back of the head? That slo-mo was cool.
What are the rules again?

Again, these are not 12-6.
He is using a loophole in the rule, where he flairs out his elbow when he is dropping his arm.

Doing this makes it not a 12 to 6.

They need to just abolish the rule.

Who cares.

promos-check-it-out-with-dr-steve-brule-food.jpg

Looks like it, don't care about that rule however so I'm not upset

In the spirit of how I have interpreted that movement to be, that kind of elbow strike is illegal.

I didn't have too big of a problem with the stoppage, I would have stopped it half way through the barrage of elbows though as at that point I was confident Brunson was done, giving him enough benefit of the doubt

I've seen worse stoppages, but the ref certainly should have warned about the elbows at least.

Those ones definitely are illegal. But i don't think they'd overturn it because they didn't change the eventual outcome. People should reference those next time some idiot tries to argue that Travis Browne threw 12-6 elbows in an arc.
5.gif

towards the end you can see that he brings his elbow straight down because it's directly above the body, as opposed to travis browne whose body is directly above Barnett, making a 12-6 impossible
000.gif

Nice referees contrast. One look at a fighter taking 11 illegal elbows (the gif only shows 10, but I counted 11 during the fight...) and just stands there.

The other literally jumps between Barnett and Browne, at the risk of taking an elbow to the head himself if Browne had not stopped as fast as he did.

Hespect.

Who cares.

It's a sport, it has rules. If it didn't have rules I would still watch, but it has to be a level playing field and both guys need to know what to expect going in for the competition to be valid. So do I care about MMA competition being valid? Yeah.

Eh, I'll take the ref's judgement over a bunch of random sherdoggers.. :)

It's amazing how blind the majority of these refs are those were 12/6 elbows and not 1 word out of his mouth. Seriously all these refs have no clue as to what they are supposed to look for.

Back