If you think Khabib won´t be champ because of his striking, you probably don´t remember this guy.

Multiples eras???? Damn!!! It´s been 10 years now, man. If you consider a 10 year gap "multiple eras", good for you. I don´t.

Hughes title reign was prior to UFC 100. We're well past 200 now.

But sure. Define how you'd like.

Hughes title reign was prior to UFC 100. We're well past 200 now.

But sure. Define how you'd like.
All I care about is years, not ufc editions. But carry on with your "multiple eras apart" thing.

Hughes was from a totally different era, and the game has changed so much since then. That being said, you can still win in today's game if you have the kind of skills that Khabib has. While I think Khabib is slightly more well-rounded than Hughes, the comparison between the two is a fair one. They both have a skill set that can be looked at as limited, but still utterly dominant in the cage. The grappling/wrestling and physicality of both fighters is just too much for most fighters to stay with. It's pretty simple, if you can't keep Khabib away from you, you are probably going to end up on the ground under him. So far, there haven't been any fighters that are good enough off their backs to beat him there.

downplay his competition all you want, 24-0 is impressive as fuck.

the guy is a beast. despite their different grappling styles, matt hughes is actually a great comparison for khabib. they both know how to close the distance, smother and grind you out.

Keep in mind, damien maia should have been the next contender for the 175 title as well.

You're the one rebutting about "muh different eras" as to why Khabib can't have a similar run to Hughes.

Granted the have very different skillsets, the LEVEL in which they performed their trade was FAAAAAAR above what their contemporarary fighters could emulate/defend at the time.

I.e. Unless you want Jim Bob at the YMCA teaching you his curriculum of "intro to Sambo" There aren't many Sambo Masters on this side of the globe to try and match that skill level.

Nice try leaf but that's 0-2 now.

Care to go 0-3?

<13>

You quite like invented narratives, don't you?

To compare two fighters from different eras is pointless. Especially when one's first tile fight is over 10 years after the other's ended.

Second:

"Granted they have very different skillsets",

You explained it yourself here. This wasn't a knock on Hughes or Khabib, or the failures of grappling. Different skillsets that had big success in different eras of different divisions. The only parallel is that both are strong grapplers with questionable striking skills (and frankly, Khabib has shown his to be far better with his striking than Hughes was during his reign, which is an ignored fact by TS as well).

Last edited:
Hughes was from a totally different era, and the game has changed so much since then. That being said, you can still win in today's game if you have the kind of skills that Khabib has. While I think Khabib is slightly more well-rounded than Hughes, the comparison between the two is a fair one. They both have a skill set that can be looked at as limited, but still utterly dominant in the cage. The grappling/wrestling and physicality of both fighters is just too much for most fighters to stay with. It's pretty simple, if you can't keep Khabib away from you, you are probably going to end up on the ground under him. So far, there haven't been any fighters that are good enough off their backs to beat him there.

No one is saying you can't win with either man's skill set, but can Kebab be a champion or be as dominant in today's MMA like Hughes was in his hey day? I'm not sure about that, and the competition is vastly superior compared to what Hughes was going up against.

This is an idiotic post as is. And you did a completely dog shit job of explaining why any of the facts you listed matter. It's not self evident and you're just wrong. Fuck you

Lmao damn @ShreddinMMA getting brutally gang raped ITT

This is what you call a gang rape? You must cry sexual assault when someone bumps you on the street.

We're not just comparing eras here, but the eras of two different divisions. Either way, if you compare Hughes' reign directly to Khabib's, or compare his timeline of champion to the LW champions, there are still multiple eras (especially given how long LW was gone). So it's not very comparable anyways.

Would you like me to delve further? I'd be happy to.

All I care about is years, not ufc editions. But carry on with your "multiple eras apart" thing.

Do you define an era by every 10 years? If you're going to critique my way of defining MMA eras, at least tell me how you are defining them.

penn_hughesptkg.gif

i was in attendance for that :)

but yea, different eras. Khabib still has an excellent chance, but I think Tony is a tougher out for him than Conor because Tony has better scrambling ability combined with a dynamic and versatile striking game. Not going to be surprised whoever wins really though

I wand Khabib to win, i think his one strong dimension beats Conors strong dimension.

But ive been thinking. And Its very hard to be a champ nowadays when youre limited. Tony imo should be the favorite, hes more complete. His gameplan is keep distance, disengage in the clinch, and get up if taken down. Khabibs is, take him down and smash.

Khabib may be good enough at his game, but its hard nowdays to implement an obvious and known gameplan. Khabib needs to improve his weaknesses to make him a REAL threat imo

This is what you call a gang rape? You must cry sexual assault when someone bumps you on the street.

We're not just comparing eras here, but the eras of two different divisions. Either way, if you compare Hughes' reign directly to Khabib's, or compare his timeline of champion to the LW champions, there are still multiple eras (especially given how long LW was gone). So it's not very comparable anyways.

Would you like me to delve further? I'd be happy to.
Brutally gang raped

Hughes' success in his time is completely irrelevant to Khabib's current success.

Yes, both had/have success that is heavily based on their dominant grappling, but MMA today is a lot different than it was in Hughes' day.

But, the bottom line is that unless someone can stop Khabib's dominant grappling he's going to continue having success. Here we have three guys in three of the deepest divisions in MMA who are largely one dimensional. You have Khabib and Maia who succeed based almost entirely on grappling and you have Conor who succeeds almost entirely based on striking. When you're talking about a one dimensional guy, a fight boils down to who can impose his game in the fight. If Khabib and Maia can turn a fight into a grappling match, they're almost certainly gonna win. If Conor can keep a fight in the realm of striking, he's almost certainly gonna win. This Ferguson fight is going to be very telling for Khabib. We all know he's an elite fighter, but in Ferguson he's facing a guy who is a very good wrestler with great heart and who is much better standing. If he dominates Ferguson, he's the fucking man.

So I take it a sexual leer gets you running for your nearest safe space.

Come on man. Try a little harder if you're going to act like a child.
I'm not the only one who saw. Ask them

Khabib's striking is better than haters want to think. It's just the weakest part of his game so they say it's horrible.

Just like wrestling is the weakest part of DJ's game...that doesn't mean it's bad.

Back