If Swimming has Michael Phelps, Running has Usain Bolt; who does Cycling have?

Ahaha, Jones, I love Jones. I knew I could get you to say it. We at least have that in common.

Just let me say this. Eddy was a bad mother fucker but I'm always skeptical of guys that performed their feats in the 1960's compared to their modern contemporaries. They were all juicing even back then and unfortunately for Armstrong he came in at the tail end of an era and then new and better drug tests were brought in and samples were saved. Lance only raced the TdF but his 7 consecutive places him near the top all time list IMO.

Not true at all to saynamphetamines in the 60’s were comparable to or even less effective than blood doping EPO in the 90’s.

The problem I think is that professional cycling is such a bitchy political sport that literally anyone(especially if there not French/Spainish/etc) at the top is going to be massively attacked to the degree they have no chance to become a star on the level of Bolt.

So I just started training for a Triathlon, and thought about this question since it is the combination of these 3 sports.

Swimming - Michael Phelps
Running - Usain Bolt
Cycling - ?
Peter Sagan currently

Merckx or Indurain.

Last edited:
Not true at all to saynamphetamines in the 60’s were comparable to or even less effective than blood doping EPO in the 90’s.

this correct. It's not say that amphetamines wasn't cheating but the difference to oxygen vector doping is enormous.

Lance Armstrong and Sir Bradly Wiggins

gallery_showbiz-bradley-wiggins-knighting-1.jpg

Surprise Bone Jones wasn't mention here since he's been cycling on and off

ish who would pay 11k for a Specialized? A young brother can buy a top of the line Colnago for that.

No road bike is worth that much, but I take a SPZ over Colnago any day. Italian frames are overrated I think BMC, SPZ, Giant and Canyon are the absolute best brands today for road bikes.

I'm kind of blown away by this. How was this chicken legged dude the greatest cycler of all time? I was expecting Crocop level thighs, but this doesn't even seem to meet average.

Big dudes are in track, but those guys are not even cyclists :pp

Guys who run classics and tours are light and strong, on the long classics like Paris Roubaix where there are no long climbs guys that are strong like Sagan usually win them, while in Tours where you have days and days of climbing the winners are the... climbers :pp they are small and lightweight but still very strong.

Tour and classics cyclists are complete, not only they climb fast, they are good on straights and are excellent at downhills, 80KMH on some absurd turns.

As for Eddy, I love this video, his nick name was The Cannibal, he would always try to do break aways and push hard. These days a lot of cyclists play safe and don´t really push hard, Sagan being one of the fews that do so.

Last edited:
As for Lance Armstrong, best cyclists of modern generation by far, doping or no doping.

Marco Pantani went for broke trying to beat Lance in Ventoux, he knew he could not win the Tour and he just tried to win the stage, yet Lance was always close to him.

Cycling has a lone testicle, suspended in a velvet pouch, hanging from the neck of a doping official who deemed it a trophy, digging it from the doctor's trash.

I’m not arguing who is better burn the way the question was framed let’s look at it as comparison to household names.

So, everyone has heard of Phelps and bolt

Everyone has heard of Armstrong, so in that reference the answer clearly is Armstrong.

Most people have never heard of this Merck guy, so that ends the debate.

He was primarily a road cyclist. They have to be much leaner as they have to have a balance between speed and endurance, which makes his track cycling accomplishments even more awe inspiring.

Here's a pic of some track cyclist legs for scale:
Will-Cycling-Make-Your-Legs-Bigger.jpg

Guy on the right cannot be natty LOLOL

I’m not arguing who is better burn the way the question was framed let’s look at it as comparison to household names.

So, everyone has heard of Phelps and bolt

Everyone has heard of Armstrong, so in that reference the answer clearly is Armstrong.

Most people have never heard of this Merck guy, so that ends the debate.

And thats sad because Phelps is a medley and butterfly swimmer.... Swimming should just have one style and who is the fastest at that in 50/100/200/400/800 meters.

Unfortunately cycling does not get the attention it deserves outside of Europe.

Back