If Swimming has Michael Phelps, Running has Usain Bolt; who does Cycling have?

Not only was Eddy the best road racer ever, he broke the hour record and was a world champion track cyclist. That's just unreal. It's like somebody being an MMA champ and Boxing champ at the same time. They're entirely different disciplines.

You realize the Tour isn't the Superbowl right? There are 3 grand tours and Armstrong only won 1 of them.

Édouard Louis Joseph, baron Merckx (Dutch pronunciation:[ˈmɛrks]; born 17 June 1945), better known as Eddy Merckx, is a Belgian former professional road and track bicycle racer who is widely seen as the most successful rider in the history of competitive cycling. His victories include an unequalled eleven Grand Tours (five Tours of France, five Tours of Italy, and a Tour of Spain), all of the five Monuments, three World Championships, the hour record, every major one-day race other than Paris–Tours, and extensive victories on the track.

Yes, the most "successful", and Eddy is the most successful but he was doing that shit in the 60's and 70's. I mean gdamn, Bill Russell won 11 NBA championships but he was not a better player than Michael Jordan.

Yes, the most "successful", and Eddy is the most successful but he was doing that shit in the 60's and 70's. I mean gdamn, Bill Russell won 11 NBA championships but he was not a better player than Michael Jordan.
What in the actual fuck? This is such a bad comparison for so many reasons. It's clear you have no idea about cycling.

BTW, Jon Jones is the goat and it's not even close.

Not only was Eddy the best road racer ever, he broke the hour record and was a world champion track cyclist. That's just unreal. It's like somebody being an MMA champ and Boxing champ at the same time. They're entirely different disciplines.

And he avg'd something like 470W for the full hour which is insane.

Having been a stagiaire in Italy, I was indoctrinated with the idea that Fausto Coppi might also be deserving of this title.

For all the fans of the uni-baller they should know that wonderboy made some tests of the hour record while on the full gear and couldn't come close to a sustained power output that would beat Merckx. It was hilarious because he was running mouth saying, "hell, I'll do it on a regular bike", but then he tried it and subsequently STFU.

What in the actual fuck? This is such a bad comparison for so many reasons. It's clear you have no idea about cycling.

BTW, Jon Jones is the goat and it's not even close.

Ahaha, Jones, I love Jones. I knew I could get you to say it. We at least have that in common.

Just let me say this. Eddy was a bad mother fucker but I'm always skeptical of guys that performed their feats in the 1960's compared to their modern contemporaries. They were all juicing even back then and unfortunately for Armstrong he came in at the tail end of an era and then new and better drug tests were brought in and samples were saved. Lance only raced the TdF but his 7 consecutive places him near the top all time list IMO.

Ahaha, Jones, I love Jones. I knew I could get you to say it. We at least have that in common.

Just let me say this. Eddy was a bad mother fucker but I'm always skeptical of guys that performed their feats in the 1960's compared to their modern contemporaries. They were all juicing even back then and unfortunately for Armstrong he came in at the tail end of an era and then new and better drug tests were brought in and samples were saved. Lance only raced the TdF but his 7 consecutive places him near the top all time list IMO.
Dude, are you not listening? Eddy was busted more times than Lance. I don't give a fuck about peds They're all fuckin cheating, cyclists and fighters alike.

Dude, are you not listening? Eddy was busted more times than Lance. I don't give a fuck about peds They're all fuckin cheating, cyclists and fighters alike.

You must have missed the part of my post where I said they were juicing even back in the 1960's.

obvs.gif

So I just started training for a Triathlon, and thought about this question since it is the combination of these 3 sports.

Swimming - Michael Phelps
Running - Usain Bolt
Cycling - ?
Had Jon Jones for a good while.
Even legendary runs come to an end, eventually.

I'm kind of blown away by this. How was this chicken legged dude the greatest cycler of all time? I was expecting Crocop level thighs, but this doesn't even seem to meet average.

eddy-mercx.jpg

I'm kind of blown away by this. How was this chicken legged dude the greatest cycler of all time? I was expecting Crocop level thighs, but this doesn't even seem to meet average.

eddy-mercx.jpg
He was primarily a road cyclist. They have to be much leaner as they have to have a balance between speed and endurance, which makes his track cycling accomplishments even more awe inspiring.

Here's a pic of some track cyclist legs for scale:
Will-Cycling-Make-Your-Legs-Bigger.jpg

ish who would pay 11k for a Specialized? A young brother can buy a top of the line Colnago for that.

I raced for 12 years, I personally never thought colnago frames were all that nice, just pretty with cool euro trash paint schemes.

Just bifurcate this question into "Best Doped Cyclist" vs. "Best Clean Cyclist" and 20 pages of fighting over Armstrong will be averted.

I raced for 12 years, I personally never thought colnago frames were all that nice, just pretty with cool euro trash paint schemes.
I honestly feel like essentially bikes are interchangeable. Just that prestige buyers tend to go for eurobrands. I myself bought a Bianchi over the cannondales and speshes and such in my price range out of a kind of general like toward europanache even though I know they’re all made next door to each other in china

eddy-mercx.jpg
Not to mention the bike he's riding is probably functions as a parachute relative to the bikes ridden today.

To that point I must admit I have no idea what I'm talking about. Literally zero.

Back