If Swimming has Michael Phelps, Running has Usain Bolt; who does Cycling have?

Isn’t it conventional wisdom in the sport that Lemond is one of few clean champions?

Whilst I thought Merckx was known to have dabbled in amphetamines.

Armstrong was full on cyborg only good for three weeks in the year.

Lance Armstrong was the GOAT cyclist. Too bad USADA had a grudge against him. Yes I know he was doping, but everybody else was on the juice at the time. They're just mad that they could not beat a guy with one nut and Lance kept rubbing his remaining nut in their face about it.

If Swimming has Michael Phelps, Running has Usain Bolt; who does Cycling have?

No one gives a shit.

Not Lance Armstrong?

Nope. Lance won the Tour de France a bunch of times and not much else.

Eddy Merckx won pretty much everything there was to be won, and he won them a shitload of times. Merckx won the TdF 5 times, the Giro d'Italia 5 times, and the Vuelta a Espana, that's the most grand tour wins in history. He's also won a ton of one day classics, several world championships, held the hour record, and has a ton of wins in track events as well. He dominated everything. There's Merckx, and then there's everyone else.

Imagine if a tennis player only competed in 1 of the major tournaments, would you say they were the best? Winning Wimbledon is great, but if you don't even bother competing in the French Open, you're not the best.

I don't think there's been a "clean cyclist" in the last 50 years either. Everyone is doping in some way. Every single one of them.

Is this some devious plan for us all to say Lance Armstrong and then for you to say "aha, so Jon Jones is the GOAT!!!1"

Armstrong. All cyclists were doping.

Pretty much yes. That is, unless you think these guys are riding bicycles up and down mountains all natty. Armstrong's 7 consecutive Tour's will never be broken.

Isn’t it conventional wisdom in the sport that Lemond is one of few clean champions?

Whilst I thought Merckx was known to have dabbled in amphetamines.

Armstrong was full on cyborg only good for three weeks in the year.

Yea but his 7 consecutive Tours will never be matched. You will grow old and die and that will still be the gold standard.

Yea but his 7 consecutive Tours will never be matched. You will grow old and die and that will still be the gold standard.
It's really not though. Go look up Eddy's accomplishments. They're far greater and it's not even up for debate. Then Google "greatest cyclist ever" and I can pretty much guarantee nobody will rank Armstrong as the Goat. It ain't the drugs either. Eddy was caught doping 3 times and he's still considered the goat.

It's really not though. Go look up Eddy's accomplishments. They're far greater and it's not even up for debate. Then Google "greatest cyclist ever" and I can pretty much guarantee nobody will rank Armstrong as the Goat. It ain't the drugs either. Eddy was caught doping 3 times and he's still considered the goat.

People hate on PED's. Its the same thing in MMA, as if Bones is not one of the greatest of all time. Armstrong's 7 consecutive Tours will never be matched.

Chris Hoy

I imagine track cycling is a cleaner sport than road cycling.

People hate on PED's. Its the same thing in MMA, as if Bones is not one of the greatest of all time. Armstrong's 7 consecutive Tours will never be matched.
I literally just said Eddy Merckx was caught using PEDs 3 times and is still universally considered the goat. You don't know what you're talking about. This is like somebody trying to say Sammy Sosa is the greatest hitter ever. It's so far from the truth that it's outlandish.

They have these guys obviously. Man this had me busting up for the entire 30 minutes

upload_2018-4-24_18-49-0.jpeg

I literally just said Eddy Merckx was caught using PEDs 3 times and is still universally considered the goat. You don't know what you're talking about. This is like somebody trying to say Sammy Sosa is the greatest hitter ever. It's so far from the truth that it's outlandish.

No, you just refuse to accept reality. Nobody will ever duplicate what Armstrong accomplished.

No, you just refuse to accept reality. Nobody will ever duplicate what Armstrong accomplished.
You realize the Tour isn't the Superbowl right? There are 3 grand tours and Armstrong only won 1 of them.

Édouard Louis Joseph, baron Merckx (Dutch pronunciation:[ˈmɛrks]; born 17 June 1945), better known as Eddy Merckx, is a Belgian former professional road and track bicycle racer who is widely seen as the most successful rider in the history of competitive cycling. His victories include an unequalled eleven Grand Tours (five Tours of France, five Tours of Italy, and a Tour of Spain), all of the five Monuments, three World Championships, the hour record, every major one-day race other than Paris–Tours, and extensive victories on the track.

EDS6xOW.gif

Back