If prime Gus had fought in the early-mid 2000s, he would've been the best LHW by a country mile

Gus (especially if he was allowed to juice like most others of that era) would've steamrolled Wand, Rampage, Shogun, Chuck, Randy, Igor, Randleman etc

Just a shame he was born in the wrong era, he still won both fights against Jones and Cormier imo. But if he fought those legends of another era, he would've KO'd them all.

Look what happened when Gus fought an over the hill Shogun, he was getting beaten up standing and needed to take it to the ground and depend on Rua's declining grappling and cardio, neither of those would have been an option in the 00's.

Gus has a good output and a good chin but the reality for me is that he's always been very hittable and your talking some guys with serious power back then(Wand, Chuck, Shogun , Igor, Rampage, Hendo, etc) just as Rumble does today and we all know what happened there.

Gus I think matches up well with the two best LHW's of the current era in Jones and Cormier as his takedown defence excellent strong and neither of them have extreme power in their hands.

Last edited:
If ifs and buts were candies and nuts, everybody would have a merry Christmas!

Could have googled, preferred asking and waiting for answer. Thanks.

I gathered by context that it meant a lot. Not sure if agree that a mile seems longer in the country....

Just a turn of phrase. My guess is that it's because, in most of the U.S. at least, country roads are set up in grids, are very straight and without much scenery.

He would have whooped everybody at 205 and heavyweight, but a guy with his skillset didn't existed in the early-mid 2000, out of Sweden even more so, so that is a silly fantasy argument.

Last edited:
If DC had entered MMA at age 23 instead of age 30 he could have been a long-reining multi division champion.

If Donald Trump had become president in 1929, instead of Herbert Hoover, The Great Depression would not have happened.

Gus would fight in Bushido and get KTFO by Minowa...

Pride-Never-Die-Free-Fight-Giant-Silva-vs-Minowa_624926_OpenGraphImage.jpg

I cant see gus beating chuck, rampage, perhaps even randy. He also had trouble with an older shogun, so i can see him losing to a younger shogun as well even though shogun was already injured by the time he entered the ufc.

At heavyweight, he beats guys like shaub MAYBE but has no chance vs real heavyweights like hunt or lesnar

When would we NOT be defeated by elite warriors who come from the future?

Gus overrated ass would get yellow card after yellow card with all that running he likes to do.

Prime Gus looked average against a way past it shogun.

He'd have mixed results in the pride golden era.

Gus (especially if he was allowed to juice like most others of that era) would've steamrolled Wand, Rampage, Shogun, Chuck, Randy, Igor, Randleman etc

Just a shame he was born in the wrong era, he still won both fights against Jones and Cormier imo. But if he fought those legends of another era, he would've KO'd them all.

And if DC entered in that time period too, Gus would have never achieved any of that anyways.

Stupid fucking hypothetical.

Rampage had a similar style to Rumble back in the day and his KO power was still legit. He could have beat Gus. Shogun was also was explosive as heck back in the day. He had great MT that would cause Gus problems, he was also much faster. Mini Reem would have been an interesting match up. Mini Reem would have better overall technique with good subs but a bad chin.

lol no

When did Gus become this great fighter? His only win is vs no knees Shogun 5 years ago.

When did Gus become this great fighter? His only win is vs no knees Shogun 5 years ago.

When he gave both prime Jones and prime DC their careers toughest fight and beatings by a wide margin (until Jones vs DC 2 for DC).

When he gave both prime Jones and prime DC their careers toughest fight and beatings by a wide margin (until Jones vs DC 2 for DC).
So his greatest fights are fights he's lost? Sounds like Chael Sonnen.

Gus is tough and has a pretty good chin but I dont see how he survives against prime Chuck, prime Shogun, prime Wand, prime Rampage. He would run away for a while but all those guys would eventually trap him in a corner or against the ropes and find his chin and KO him

I would love to see the 2005 Reem versus 2013 Gus. Two tall lanky guys. Gus had better chin and cardio but Reem had the knees and finishing power.

So his greatest fights are fights he's lost? Sounds like Chael Sonnen.

Your IQ is laughable. Like his performance would have been different had judges drew different numbers on their papers. Idiot.

Back