I cheated a 10 year old out of over $1000 dollars. Am I a dick?

giphy.gif

Both parties were satisfied with the deal. Not a dick.

Yes, that was a prickish thing to do. You screwed a kid out of a bunch of money and feel no remorse about it. Someday you're going to feel like a real jerk for doing it. I hope living your life forever with that memory of knowing what you did was worth the $1000 that you'll never remember anyway.

You didn't cheat anyone out of $1000 until you actually move all that merchandise. Which isn't a foregone conclusion. Don't forget about Ebay seller fees (10% of the sale price) and the cost of shipping.

I've sold a lot of rare and valuable motorcycle parts over the years. But on more than a few of those parts their value depreciated noticeably and I wound up losing money in the process.

Considering your initial investment was only $25 I'm sure you're still turn a profit. But $1000? That remains to be seen.

Nah, if he's happy and you're happy I say it's a win-win and move on.

You lack a moral compass.This will damage you in the future and I would wager that it already has.

If the seller was an adult, even a 16-17 year old, it would be different.

A few measly dollars was worth your honor.

As a buyer and seller of nerdy stuff myself, you did the wrong thing.

I didn't know kids his age still played with trinkets.
I thought they played video games, spent time on their tablets/cell phones, or watched TV.

Taking advantage of someone's ignorance for profit is a dick move. You're a dick.

Yep, dick move. But you can always fix it. If you really end up making $1k on them, go back to the house and hand the kid a few hundred. You will make his year.

Are you sure these are really a gold mine? I'm looking on eBay and seeing lots of 20+ of these things going for £10?

I bought the Skylanders game and have been "testing" these things for like 4 hours......this game is addicting....

Nope

Mom was dumb enough to sell something she did not know the value of (you can assume she was privy, or had access to the value information) at a garage sale

and

Mom was dumb enough to let a 10 year old negotiate (10 year old should've also known the value)

Whats the point of keeping stupid people in society if we cant take advantage of them?

Recently I started building up inventory to start an ebay store. Last week I got 80 skylanders from thrift stores. This last weekend I was interested in a bunch of skylanders at a garage sale. I knew there was at least a thousand bucks of stuff there and I asked how much for all of it. The mom told me that they were her sons and that I can negotiate with him for the price.

He came outside and was about 10 years old. I offered 25 bucks and he got wide eyed like he was rich and quickly accepted it.

Am I a dick for scoring well over $1000 of shit for 25 bucks from a 10 year old?

Here is my score (over 150 items, just 3 of the pieces in front are worth $40-$50 each):

Now I have a total of 230ish skylanders to individually list on ebay :(

In the olden days you'd be executed.

well.. even those buttholes on pawn stars tell a guy when hes greatly underestimated somethings value and pay him more. so in one regard yeah. but at the same time the mom knows goddamn well how expensive those things are. so maybe she should have used her damn brain as well.

buy low.. sell high..

dick move.. but it's his mom's fault

This. Lol.

I went to a garage sale a couple of years ago and the guy was selling the entire Soprano's series on VHS that he recorded off the television for 100 dollars.

i"ll give you $200!

So I always hear about how much stuff is worth. Can you honestly cash in on those right now if you put em on eBay? Just curious

Yup, it is crazy how many collectors are out there. And it is best to sell things individually, rather than a collection. I had a lot of various toys growing up. I kept my favorites, to have around for when my nephews come over, but sold everything else.

I made about 10 grand between GI Joes, TMNT, monsters in my picket, mighty max, The CORPS (like GI Joe), Dinoriders, battle beasts, WWF/WCW action figures, starwars miniture playsets, among other toys.

I kept my Marvel action figures, most of those aren't actually worth that much, as they are a lot more common.

I also kept my LEGOs, which if I sold, I could probably take in another 10grand, if not more.

EDIT: As for TS, there is no problem. That is what they chose to sell it for. They did take the time and effort of researching its current value, or the effort of posting it online, which is the way you are going to find the collectors who will pay top dollar for the items.

If you feel bad, go back and give the kid another 100 bucks or something and tell him they were worth more than you thought. Everyone wins.

If you don't feel bad, fuck it.

You did nothing wrong. His mom was a fucking idiot for not negotiating herself and doing research.
Nothing personal, it's just business.
The 10 year old should've known better too. Kids these days have smartphones and shit.

Yes you're a dick. But only because you didn't give the kid the uppercutz and the mom any D.

Back