How will you react when Trump attacks North Korea?

Aegon Spengler

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
https://www.bloombergquint.com/poli...k-on-u-s-talk-of-all-options-over-north-korea

Foreign Minister Wang Yi pushed back against the tougher U.S. line on North Korea, reiterating his country’s view that the only way to rein in its reclusive neighbor is through talks.

Wang spoke at a briefing in Beijing with U.S. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson, who in Seoul on Friday refused to rule out a preemptive strike against Pyongyang if the threat from its weapons program was deemed severe enough. While that’s largely in line with prior U.S. positions, Tillerson’s comments -- and Twitter posts from President Donald Trump -- signal the level of concern over North Korea is rising.

Rex Tillerson laid out details of the new U.S. plan, saying it would focus on getting China to better enforce United Nations sanctions against North Korea. He also said the threat posed by the regime was increasing: “Let me be very clear: this policy of strategic patience has ended.”

North Korea has been in the news quite a bit lately, the focus has been on their (ongoing) human rights violations and the new White House's push to have China "reign in the North Korean weapons program"

Why so many stories these days?

Could we guess it's because war is imminent? Before the invasion of Iraq the Republican administration in of that era levied similar complaints about Saddam's human rights violations and weapons programs. If Russia is on-side and gives permission for North Korea to be taken out, the war would likely be a go. Perhaps the U.S will end it's economic sanctions against Russia and pull NATO back from Russia's borders in exchange for permission and support in a war against North Korea.

And once Korea is attacked... well.

N. Korea is very likely a nuclear power. That doesn't mean they have a delivery system capable of hitting the US but all they'd need to hit South Korea is a damn catapult.

As always, the major stopping point here is how important South Korea is for the global economy, they are a serious player and could be hit by conventional weapons and destroyed in the case of any preemptive attack. The U.S would have to find a way to clear out all of North Korea's weapons delivery capabilities in the first few minutes of any assault.

Another issue is China's potential response. China has leveraged their relationship with North Korea for a long time, holding them on a short leash when the US is acting "fairly" and loosening the leash when they want to saber rattle and threaten the U.S.'s pacific interests. Without North Korea, China will have lost an important ally and key chess piece in their backyard.

However, even if all goes well and South Korea escapes completely unscathed, this all might prove to be a net-negative for the US's geo-strategic position in Asia. As long as North Korea, being the monstrous nation it is, is a threat to South Korea, the South Korean people and government will welcome the presence of US troops. Once North Korea is dealt with, US propaganda will have to turn to China as the ostensible threat that U.S. military power is protecting Korea from. But China is not North Korea. China could wage a soft-power diplomatic propaganda campaign to try and peacefully oust the US military from a newly unified Korea. They would have quite a few new Korean citizens who had been bombed by the U.S. to use as a propaganda tool and surely, if they were granted a vote, would vote against any political party percived to be allied with the United States. In the short term China would lose North Korea but then, in the long term, would enter the race to gain influence and eventually a significant amount of control over the whole of Korea. One generation after this war, Korea could hold a free elections and their system disrupted, chaotic, open to Chinese influence, might forget about China as the boogyman the U.S. is necessary to fight. If the U.S. loses Korea, next up on the docket is Japan.

The domestic consequences in the US are fairly predictable. The threat of retaliation alone would be enough to restrict rights and liberties in the USA. North Korea could retaliate via terrorism, submarine strike (not bloody likely) or in any other number of ways. You can be sure the media will encourage U.S. citizens to think about every possible way their lives might be threatened. With the support of congress, the senate and perhaps even average people, we could see an even greater enhancement of the surveillance state and further loss of civil liberties, as well as more power being vested in the hands of the executive branch.

xT1XH20G3oezQ9Jiq4.gif

I would think Iran would be the number one choice for invasion with this administration.

I hope none of this happens

Is it possible to be surprised, and yet, not surprised at all?

Yea, that.

i pray everyday that fat fuck yellow bastard doesn't do dumb Korean shit.

I would think Iran would be the number one choice for invasion with this administration.

I hope none of this happens

Iran doesn't make much sense for the U.S. to attack directly. I imagine Israel will be the ones to take care of Iran once they've finished pushing all Palestinians out of Palestine.

The US is already involved in several wars (Libya, Syria, Iraq, Afghanistan) and should not be looking for trouble against yet another country.

North Korea's geography is really difficult to deal with.

The traditional way of taking down a country nowadays is setting up a migrant corridor and watching their culture get ripped apart insidiously until their military doesn't even know what it represents anymore.

To do that to the North Koreans we would need to set up an elaborate corridor through Kazakhstan and Mongolia because they're buffered on every other side by reasonably strong, nationalistic countries.

It looks like physical warfare may be the only option here.

So that's where our Meals On Wheels money will be going now

The question is, WILL we do it? We have always said that all options are on the table.

i pray everyday that fat fuck yellow bastard doesn't do dumb Korean shit.
This is China's fault. The commie red chinese have been propping NK up for decades just to be problematic to America.

No need to go to war. Just snuff out Kim Jong-un.

I'd be considerably surprised if Trump initiates a war in the next four years. We'll see.

Not surprised at all. Ive been predicting a war with N.Korea since the JGB era... only i thought Jeb Bush would be, not Trump.

This is China's fault. The commie red chinese have been propping NK up for decades just to be problematic to America.

If NK collapsed and asked to merge with SK, would you be OK with that?

On another note, if NK wasn't around, would you be OK with U.S. troops remaining in South Korea?

The US is already involved in several wars (Libya, Syria, Iraq, Afghanistan) and should not be looking for trouble against yet another country.
A war with North Korea would actually be fruitful. Asians adapt very quickly to westernization, the middle east is too complicated becsuse its a society heavily influenced by religion not order and theyre already very resentful of american interferance. You should abandon middle east and deal with kim and china.

whatever rhetoric is put out there about us and china you have to believe China and the US will ultimately work together to handle the Korean situation as not going to war is in both countries best interests, IMO

Back