How to take a punch well? Minimise shock when hit?

@spacetime and @BringBackTRTforFairness

You guys seriously need to get a clue and stop stinking up the subforum here.

Pipe down, listen to people with infinitely more experience than you and go fucking train for a few years and come back.

The discussion is not about boxing specifically. I linked a Kickboxing clip and I have sparred full contact Kickboxing. I have missed shots, including a full swing roundhouse kick to the jaw when I was tired late in the session and dropped the guard. Had no effect on me. I have also been elbowed to the face, kicked in the stormatch, punched in the tempel, kicked in the stomach. Etc. And some of those incidents I wasnt even training any martial arts.

Then why the hell did you ask about a guy's boxing credentials then?

At least be consistent with your bullshit.

aguy gives better advice than my coaches, others have epic knowledge that goes beyond the coaching in my crappy little town, theres nothing wrong with asking this here,

How I would simplify it into two statements:

1) If possible, move in the direction the strike came from. This ties in extremely well to how you're moving your head anyway. It's not a coincidence that weaving a punch initially moves you in the direction the punch comes from.

2) If it's not possible to move, your head was in a position that minimizes rattling. Move your head back while keeping your neck where it is so your jaw as far into your throat as you can, and that's your stance. That's hard to describe in words but if you don't know what it means just ask.

If you let someone jab you in that position, your head won't move much.

I have trained for a few years.
A real full contact sport at a real gym, with real amateurs and pros and good coaches. Do you even go to a real boxing gym now?

You are such a novice that you don't even know how much of a novice you are.

Do us all a favour and stop making threads.

A real full contact sport at a real gym, with real amateurs and pros and good coaches. Do you even go to a real boxing gym now?

You are such a novice that you don't even know how much of a novice you are.

Do us all a favour and stop making threads.

I have sparred a fucking Serbian national champion in Kickboxing. We sparred full contact after class. Yes I am in a real boxing gym.

I have sparred a fucking Serbian national champion in Kickboxing. We sparred full contact after class. Yes I am in a real boxing gym.
Sparring "after class" doesn't sound very legit.

Post a video of you shadowboxing, post one of you hitting the bag, post one of sparring, padwork, anything.

Post a video of you shadowboxing, post one of you hitting the bag, post one of sparring, padwork, anything.

I am not allowed to spar beginners int he gym. Before any sparring there will be a conditioning test and a transfer to the intermediate group.

I am not allowed to spar beginners int he gym. Before any sparring there will be a conditioning test and a transfer to the intermediate group.
That doesn't make sense. Why are you not allowed to spar?

You can still post a shadowboxing, padwork, bagwork vid.

That doesn't make sense. Why are you not allowed to spar?

You can still post a shadowboxing, padwork, bagwork vid.

I just wrote why. Beginners aren't allowed to spar in the ring and there will be a conditioning test beforehand as well. And the instructor decides when I move to intermediate group.

I just wrote why. Beginners aren't allowed to spar in the ring and there will be a conditioning test beforehand as well. And the instructor decides when I move to intermediate group.
You are not even allowed to spar yet. Think about why that is. Then think about how that relates to your posting.

You will never learn anything if you think you know it all.

You are not even allowed to spar yet. Think about why that is. Then think about how that relates to your posting.

The principle is the same. I have KICK BOXED. and I can safely attest that Ernesto Hoost had a glass jaw, great as he was. If he wasn't Ernesto Hoost but some random dude in that clip, nobody would dispUte tha it was evidence of a glass jaw..

The principle is the same. I have KICK BOXED. and I can safely attest that Ernesto Hoost had a glass jaw, great as he was. If he wasn't Ernesto Hoost but some random dude in that clip, nobody would dispUte tha it was evidence of a glass jaw..
Hold up. Doesn't matter what you think about Ernesto Hoost and his jaw, and even if you are right or not.

The point is, you are a complete novice. You haven't competed at a high level, you haven't competed at all. You haven't coached anyone, you are on the beginner team, you are not allowed to spar yet. That's where you are at right now.

You need to accept that before you can improve. You are filling your cup with all sorts of nonsense. Stop making excuses for yourself.

Don't really matter, its just sparring. Beginners spar with top guys when the stars line up.

When I was green with 4 months in, my 2nd sparring session was with high level pros.

Our fresh guys are sparring with the pro guys and gals when they get matched up in sparring classes.

Hold up. Doesn't matter what you think about Ernesto Hoost and his jaw, and even if you are right or not.

The point is, you are a complete novice. You haven't competed at a high level, you haven't competed at all. You haven't coached anyone, you are on the beginner team, you are not allowed to spar yet. That's where you are at right now.

You need to accept that before you can improve. You are filling your cup with all sorts of nonsense. Stop making excuses for yourself.

It's irrelevant who I am, my statement are what matters. They don't become false or true depending on who says them.

Don't really matter, its just sparring. Beginners spar with top guys when the stars line up.

When I was green with 4 months in, my 2nd sparring session was with high level pros.

Our fresh guys are sparring with the pro guys and gals when they get matched up in sparring classes.

My gym apparently doesn't operate that way. They have had beginners classes for 2 months with no sparring.

No. There are boxing and Kickboxing champions who had glass jaws, Ernesto Hoost for an example. The only reason he was still a champion is due to his superiority.

How well you can take a punch without getting lights out is genetics. Joe Lewis is a bigger authority on the subject than you and he agrees.

That's because joe is one of the greatest heavyweights of all time and was fighting other people with extensive experience while you're some green ass TMA kid with aspirations to become a big boy martial artist.

When you next watch fights I want you to pay attention to where a persons feet are when they get hit clean, I almost guarantee that if they're out of place the person on the recieving end is getting hurt, that's simply not the case when people are in a better position to take a shot.

That's because joe is one of the greatest heavyweights of all time and was fighting other people with extensive experience while you're some green ass TMA kid with aspirations to become a big boy martial artist.

When you next watch fights I want you to pay attention to where a persons feet are when they get hit clean, I almost guarantee that if they're out of place the person on the recieving end is getting hurt, that's simply not the case when people are in a better position to take a shot.

Think he's talking about Joe Lewis the kickboxer, not Joe Louis the Brown Bomber.

My gym apparently doesn't operate that way. They have had beginners classes for 2 months with no sparring.
Thats a bit different from what I meant. To me, and what I presume is most on this forum, a beginner is someone who's never competed and below the 1 year mark in training. Intermediate is about 3-5 years, and experienced is 6-10+.

No sparring for green folks for 4-6 month mark is normal.

Back