How to take a punch well? Minimise shock when hit?

Yes. He fought bare knuckled JKA Karate:

Boxing's a different style.

Nothing taking anything away from these guys or your old man, I'm sure they worked hard to get where they are in their sport, but its not boxing.

I saw countless instances of telegraphing, esp. on their punches. Simple things as them normally bouncing, then right before they punch they stop for half a second. That is an eternity. Having sparred with guys who have an extensive boxing background, if someone fought like the JKA guys in the vid 1. they wouldn't KO the boxer, 2. they'd get lit up or KO'd by the boxer approaching everything with a jolt like linear approach.

Yes. He fought bare knuckled JKA Karate:

I'm glad they do at least that. Maybe he can help you with your knuckle conditioning, etc.

You know what they dont teach in any Karate? The topic of this thread. Your dad's Karate experience can be maybe slightly helpful, but it's not a substitute for proper learning. If you try to make it a substitute like you are doing, it's going to hold you back bigtime. It's not the same thing at all, and the overlap is much less than you want it to be-- almost superficial.

The reason you keep bringing up your dad is because you feel insecure in your own abilities. Stop doing that, you are your own person. And stop arguing things you don't know with people who have studied and honed their and others' skills for years in that exact discipline.

Boxing's a different style.

Nothing taking anything away from these guys or your old man, I'm sure they worked hard to get where they are in their sport, but its not boxing.

I saw countless instances of telegraphing, esp. on their punches. Simple things as them normally bouncing, then right before they punch they stop for half a second. That is an eternity. Having sparred with guys who have an extensive boxing background, if someone fought like the JKA guys in the vid 1. they wouldn't KO the boxer, 2. they'd get lit up or KO'd by the boxer approaching everything with a jolt like linear approach.

Why do you think I picked boxing.... I have the explosiveness from karate, and now using what I perceive to be a superior form of body mechanics, I can punch HARD. I don't have a heavy bag at home, so there is no way to show it.

Why do you think I picked boxing.... I have the explosiveness from karate, and now using what I perceive to be a superior form of body mechanics, I can punch HARD. I don't have a heavy bag at home, so there is no way to show it.
You can do it at the gym then, ask a member if they're fine with recording, and let them record while you hit the bag or pads.

I doubt anybody in here punches harder (prove it if that's the case) but maybe you can give me some pointers if I have bad habits.

I doubt anybody in here punches harder (prove it if that's the case) but maybe you can give me some pointers if I have bad habits.

The actual point is, he (your dad) could punch (even) a lot harder if he added basic boxing principles to what he does. I like how he sinks his weight (very good) but there are a lot of Karate idiosyncrasies that spoil his mechanics as far as potential goes.

This isn't a dick measuring contest. We're talking about the technique(s) themselves, but you're stuck on arguing over individuals in a "who is better" way. The reason we bring up A Guy's credentials is because he knows what he's talking about, not because he's a wrecking machine with 6 Porches and a cult following of hot international female models, although I'm sure that's the case.

Boxing is not about who punches harder-- that is incidental. It's about how to punch BETTER (effectively in a realistic scenario) through form and practicality, and the optimizing oneself using and polishing those principles. Ultimately, it's about optimal effectiveness, which means getting rid of bad or sub-par habits.

Last edited:
Having sparred with guys who have an extensive boxing background, if someone fought like the JKA guys in the vid 1. they wouldn't KO the boxer, 2. they'd get lit up or KO'd by the boxer approaching everything with a jolt like linear approach.

I asked him actually if he had ever sparred a boxer, and he did when he was young. He likes boxing a lot.

To the TS: The question is, do you have a door length/body length mirror in your room? Or access to one at home? Since your question is of technique, that is probably the piece of "equipment" you should most have.

Shadow box In-front of it and ask yourself: Is my face in a position to not get hit squarely as I throw my lead jab, Hook, Rear hand? If it is, and your using a traditional guard, your probably doing it wrong (without belaboring the point, because I know some boxing trainers teach more padded glove dependent styles).

To expound on the above point a little: Fundamentals are fundamentals for a reason. Solid punching technique, and not being stiff or lazily arm punching, naturally lends itself to some amount of incoming punch mitigation. That is, if you turn your hips and shoulders into your jab, or lead hook, your head will turn away from it. So if there was a right hand or jab coming your way at the same time, you'd be turning away from the incoming punch. Same applies when throwing the rear hand.

This thread is a hornets nest... but there's some really great advice here by the regulars. Listen to it :)

I asked him actually if he had ever sparred a boxer, and he did when he was young. He likes boxing a lot.

So did he say that karate punching was more effective? Why are you taking boxing if your dad's karate-style punching is better- why aren't you just enrolled in what he took?

Your arguments are contradicting.

Boxing is not about who punches harder-- that is incidental. It's about how to punch BETTER (effectively in a realistic scenario) through form and practicality, and the optimizing oneself using and polishing those principles. Ultimately, it's about optimal effectiveness, which means getting rid of bad or sub-par habits.

I can't prove any of that on a bag though. To think a guy with 3 years of kickboxing can't throw a simple right hand cross, for instance, is a bit insulting. the bodymechanics in boxing is far more comfortable than in Karate, if you ask me... I liked it a lot.

So did he say that karate punching was more effective? Why are you taking boxing if your dad's karate-style punching is better- why aren't you just enrolled in what he took?

Your arguments are contradicting.

He did not like wearing boxing gloves when he sparred the boxer:) Hates that karate sparring nowdays is with gloves (including JKA outside of Japan). He also objects to the modern day bouncing up and down from karatekas, because he says that's analogous to a shooter jumping up and down when is aiming for the shot. Makes no sense

I thought that analogy was interesting (although he took it from his sensei who trained under Funakoshi)

I can't prove any of that on a bag though. To think a guy with 3 years of kickboxing can't throw a simple right hand cross, for instance, is a bit insulting. the bodymechanics in boxing is far more comfortable than in Karate, if you ask me... I liked it a lot.
A lot of people can't throw punches with years of training. It depends entirely on level of coaching, natural ability and hours of practice. Lots of low level kickboxing schools around.

You can post a shawdowboxing video? No equipment needed.

A lot of martial arts teach punching but the only one that specializes completely in punching (and testing it in prolonged combat) is boxing.

Anyone can throw a cross. Not just anyone can throw it with good mechanics. No one said you can't throw a cross so stop being insulted. YOU are the one starting boxing classes, which makes no sense to do that unless you concede that you still lack substantial knowledge and ability on the subject.

You CAN demonstrate proper boxing form on a heavybag or pads. That's a basic part of boxing, not all of it, but it still is a fundamental portion-- punching correctly. If you can't do that then what are you doing arguing over correct technique and practice with someone who has at least demonstrated proficiency in that area?

The frustrating thing is that YOU can learn these things VERY QUICKLY if you study and practice carefully, extensively, and without ego (a lot of boxers DON'T do that, and they end up in the bottom half of the class). You are not ever going to be good unless you drop the attitude like everyone else who is or ever got good (including Mike Tyson) had to do. That means you have to be okay with admitting to yourself that today you are nothing compared to where you CAN be with time. You seem to be too weak to acknowledge that and it's going to cost you terribly.

Here's a secret about what happens when you admit to yourself that you don't already have a leg up on everything: nothing. Nothing bad happens. It doesn't make you weak to acknowledge you are weak, it makes you infinitely stronger, it makes you able to improve quickly as opposed to hardly at all.

Last edited:
A lot of people can't throw punches with years of training. It depends entirely on level of coaching, natural ability and hours of practice. Lots of low level kickboxing schools around.

You can post a shawdowboxing video? No equipment needed.

One of the reasons I love boxing was for it's simplicity. Anybody can learn the 5 punches good enough in a very short amount of time, especially if you have some striking background.

Or maybe I just had a talent for it. I was hooked right away and would have left if I sucked at it.

One of the reasons I love boxing was for it's simplicity. Anybody can learn the 5 punches good enough in a very short amount of time, especially if you have some striking background.

Or maybe I just had a talent for it. I was hooked right away and would have left if I sucked at it.
You can learn what the punch is, but to become good at throwing those punches takes a very long time, even if you are talented. This is a dead giveaway that you don't actually know what you're talking about.

Again, you're not even sparring yet. Post videos of yourself doing stuff or stop claiming you are as good as you are. No one believes you, you are deluding yourself.

Last edited:

It appears simple. The truth is that it is very complex in subtle ways, and that's exactly what makes it so effective. It's deceptively complex but appears simple, which is why it is so difficult to defend against. If you think it's simple, then you're missing a lot of what is going on.

You can learn what the punch is, but to become good at throwing those punches i takes a very long time, even if you are talented. This is a dead giveaway that you don't actually know what you're talking about.

Again, you're not even sparring yet. Post videos of yourself doing stuff or stop claiming you are as good as you are. No one believes you, you are deluding yourself.

People complain in here that they dont generate power despite months and months of training. That has not been my experience at all. I must be doing something right... Maybe my form breaks down on closer scrutiny but I felt boxing came naturally to me. I know some of the basic pitfalls. Theres ton if information available online how to not do it..

People complain in here that they dont generate power despite months and months of training. That has not been my experience at all. I must be doing something right... Maybe my form breaks down on closer scrutiny but I felt boxing came naturally to me. I know some of the basic pitfalls. Theres ton if information available online how to not do it..
You are dodging. I'm done going in circles.

Back