How popular was prime Van Damme REALLY?

My only qualm with Total Recall (1990) is the final 10 minutes. It has a WTF ending.... Verhoeven really dropped the ball on that, in contrary Robocop is paced beautifully.

Showed my kids this for the first time a few weeks ago. Never thought about it before, but the ending was a bit dumb, especially considering they probably would have frozen to death within minutes once being sucked out.

I would put equal money down that the powers that be didn't like an action star being played by someone that was gay or bisexual or whatever. This was the early 90s. Arnold Schwarzenegger's gay for pay stuff when he was a struggling bodybuilder got swept under the rug and never heard from.

Que?

I've read his autobiography, and he sure as shit didn't say anything about any gay4pay stuff.

He wrote about when as a young man he boarded with some older gay guy that hit on him, he was repulsed and left straight away.

Please elaborate on this, I've never heard anything about Arnie doing gay stuff.

Que?

I've read his autobiography, and he sure as shit didn't say anything about any gay4pay stuff.

He wrote about when as a young man he boarded with some older gay guy that hit on him, he was repulsed and left straight away.

Please elaborate on this, I've never heard anything about Arnie doing gay stuff.

From what I've heard, Arnold would flirt with Gay men, but wouldn't put out. He'd hang around with them, let them watch him train and pose, as long as they kept picking up the bill. But that was far as it went.

I've also heard rumours that Arnold posed for nude photos, paid for by a wealthy Gay. But that could just be an urban legend.

Anyone who knows who Arnold or Stallone is knows who van damme is

From what I've heard, Arnold would flirt with Gay men, but wouldn't put out. He'd hang around with them, let them watch him train and pose, as long as they kept picking up the bill. But that was far as it went.

I've also heard rumours that Arnold posed for nude photos, paid for by a wealthy Gay. But that could just be an urban legend.

Cool, cheers.

Well, he omitted this information from his autobiography, but I guess it's not an important detail and understandably straight guys would'nt divulge this sort of thing.

NTTAWWT

A pic of Arnold's schlonger would be very sought after, one assumes

Cool, cheers.

Well, he omitted this information from his autobiography, but I guess it's not an important detail and understandably straight guys would'nt divulge this sort of thing.

NTTAWWT

I've never read Arnold's autobiography, but I did read a book about his life. The author was a journalist and, while she didn't ignore Arnold's dark side, it wasn't a hatchet job either. She writes about the rumour Arnold did G4P and interviewed a Gay man who knew Aronld well at the time. He was very wealthy, and paid Arnold to go out to dinner with him. When asked if anything else happened, he smiled and replied that, "Arnold was a very accomplished flirt. But that was as far as things went".

Bodybuilding can be a very expensive sport to compete in, especially back in The Oak's time when most of the top guys would train up to twice a day, six days a week. They had little time(or energy)to hold down a regular job, so it's not surprising some of them looked for Sugar Daddies to help support them

Last edited:
Cool, cheers.

NTTAWWT

He posed nude for a gay european mag.

Go listen to Gary Valentino. The guy was there. Guys did whatever to get by so they could bodybuild fulltime.

He posed nude for a gay european mag.

Go listen to Gary Valentino. The guy was there. Guys did whatever to get by so they could bodybuild fulltime.

I'm sure he did do modelling.

I forget the entire sentence I was reacting to, but when I hear Gay4Pay, I assume it suggests sexual contact.

I myself don't count a bit of noody modelling for a poof mag as Gay4Pay.

That's just modelling, modelling ain't gay...... much

Last edited:
Who was no1? Seagal?

I don't know where these numbers are but no.1 has to be someone that is in a cheesy horror movie that went big. Like the Blair Witch Project. Or a comedy like Clerks, which was made for 60k usd.

I'm sure he did do modelling.

I forget the entire sentence I was reacting to, but when I hear Gay4Pay, I assume it suggests sexual contact.

I myself don't count a bit of noody modelling for a poof mag as Gay4Pay.

That's just modelling, modelling ain't gay...... much

I don't have any more proof than what Greg Valentino has said. It was pretty common at the time ,probably still is, and Arnold ran with the rich gay admirers. That is how he got his start in real estate. I don't know why it seems so outrageous or slanderous. Him and a lot like him needed money and there were probably a lot of guys that would have paid a lot to blow him. In any case, listen to Greg Valentino's stories on youtube. I don't think the guy is full of shit and bodybuilding was pretty crazy back in the 70s and 80s.

I still don't think that during Van Damme's prime, it would have been easy to market a gay/bi/whatever masculine action movie star.

I don't have any more proof than what Greg Valentino has said. It was pretty common at the time ,probably still is, and Arnold ran with the rich gay admirers. That is how he got his start in real estate. I don't know why it seems so outrageous or slanderous. Him and a lot like him needed money and there were probably a lot of guys that would have paid a lot to blow him. In any case, listen to Greg Valentino's stories on youtube. I don't think the guy is full of shit and bodybuilding was pretty crazy back in the 70s and 80s.

I find it neither outrageous nor slanderous - I'm a totally open-minded dude.

I just find it very interesting.

Since he's a very famous man and his skeletons have been laid to bare, and he seems a very typical, masculine man, I'm surprised he dabbled with homosexuals.

In his book he detailed his journey through the body building world, but not how he made ends meet early on.

Of course I'm aware of bodybuilders in general venturing into this realm, so I guess that fills the blanks.

What would the threats be concerning?

It was an interview arnold did a few years back when he was entertaining that he would do an old man conan.

He said he just got death threats for making the sequel a comedy and people were pissed but he was saying these people dont realize at the time he had zero say in how the movie was going to be made and it wasnt his fault

His core fan base was like 10-13 y/o pre-pubescent boys with no money. All of us wanted to be in the Kumate. All of us! Problem is we had no cash or ride to get to the movies! Blood sport is on par with Shawshank, real talk!

the man is an inspiration for me

i wish i could solve all my problems with a flying roundkick like he does

Back