How many UFC tournaments would Rickson have won?

Rudeboyben84

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Rickson was either an unstoppable killing machine or a relatively unproven guy with a blown up record depending on who you speak to.

Question for sherdog fans: If Rickson had competed in every UFC tournament how far would he have gotten? (Assuming he takes Royces place)

Looking back at the level of competition I think the 1st big challenge would have been at UFC 7 against Marco Ruas. I think he would have won the 1st 6 tournaments.

Ruas has challenged Rickson a few times and was bigger (Lhw vs Mw) and one of the 1st truly rounded fighters. He could strike and had a submission game similar to a lot of Modern Brazilian fighters style and while not Gracie's equal on the ground the striking would be more of a mismatch. I don't see Rickson making it past him but if he did he would be up against Frye next.

Frye would have considerable size on Rickson, outweighing him by around 40lbs. While Ruas was the 1st guy with the modern Thai/bjj Brazilian style Frye was the 1st with modern American wrestling/boxing style. By UFC 8 Rickson would have been 37, Frye 30. I think Fryes wrestling would have kept it standing and we would have seen him give Rickson a boxing lesson.

Anyone see him going further than UFC 6? Or not making it that far?

All of them and would KO Fedor, Anderson, and Jones on the same night.

hespek the GOAT

All of them.
Rickson-arm-flail.gif

I don't have an answer but what I do have is
06a4659b721c3b27e3a0f04e29ff2208.gif

He would have won all of them until Don Frye and Dan Severn showed up.

one or 2.

Worse than Royce? Who you reckon he can't beat in UFC 2 or 3? Don't all the Gracie's say he was a bigger, better version of Royce?

Hard to judge because of the amount of can crushing he did in so few fights but I'd have no problem believing he would have done better than Royce.

Royce beat Severn so I'd back Rickson to do the same but I'd agree Frye would stomp him. Coleman would have broke him in half but The beast got tapped by Roye.

Royce beat Severn but Rickson would have lost? Severn was bigger than Don Frye and I think Severn was better.

Rickson would have won until he was not interested in fighting any longer

Also Rickson made more money fighting in Japan so not sure fighting in the UFC would have excited him

Royce beat Severn so I'd back Rickson to do the same but I'd agree Frye would stomp him. Coleman would have broke him in half but The beast got tapped by Roye.

And Wand knocked out Rampage twice. Not all fights play out the same. In the early 90s, I give Dan and Don best shot at beating Rickson. In the late 90s early 00s, I'd give it to Coleman, Kerr & Saku.

And Wand knocked out Rampage twice. Not all fights play out the same. In the early 90s, I give Dan and Don best shot at beating Rickson. In the late 90s early 00s, I'd give it to Coleman, Kerr & Saku.

Fair point.

Saku vs Rickson would have been epic, one of the great fights fans never got to see.

Worse than Royce? Who you reckon he can't beat in UFC 2 or 3? Don't all the Gracie's say he was a bigger, better version of Royce?

Hard to judge because of the amount of can crushing he did in so few fights but I'd have no problem believing he would have done better than Royce.

Probly so. No telling. Prolly lucky that Royce didn't get Marco Rua back then.

Royce beat Severn but Rickson would have lost? Severn was bigger than Don Frye and I think Severn was better.

Rickson would have won until he was not interested in fighting any longer

Also Rickson made more money fighting in Japan so not sure fighting in the UFC would have excited him

Not judging him for not fighting in UFC but can't agree with the Frye/Severn comparison.

Styles make fights and Severn would have initiated a Grapping match where as Frye would have been throwing bombs against a fighter with very limited stand up. Not saying Frye > Severn but against a BJJ guy with no standup he is far more dangerous I reckon.

What about by the time Coleman came along? Think he would have avoided being headbutted to death when he was giving up 60lbs and was 40years old?

I thought any mention of the word "Rickson" meant immediate expulsion to Wasteland.

Rickson by armbar (by the way)

Not judging him for not fighting in UFC but can't agree with the Frye/Severn comparison.

Styles make fights and Severn would have initiated a Grapping match where as Frye would have been throwing bombs against a fighter with very limited stand up. Not saying Frye > Severn but against a BJJ guy with no standup he is far more dangerous I reckon.

What about by the time Coleman came along? Think he would have avoided being headbutted to death when he was giving up 60lbs and was 40years old?

MYoNk.gif

I thought any mention of the word "Rickson" meant immediate expulsion to Wasteland.

Rickson by armbar (by the way)

Thought it was UFC related enough since it was asking how he would have done in UFC tournaments... Wasteland away if I'm wrong mods, my bad.

Bruce Lee threads have popped up in the UFC forum so assumed with his perfect 400-0 record Rickson vs UFC was a bit more relevant :)

Back