How long does it take to get a BJJ black Belt? (hours)

I'm a black belt and I would say it took around 3800hours. A little shy of 10 years of training.

And what's the rush to get to BB? That's a deep, deep ocean with little differentiation. Enjoy your time at lower belts, BB isn't as glorious as people think.
Job opportunities.

I'm estimating I had around 1,300 hours when I got my purple. But, like most people, a lot of that time was spent BSing on the mats (drilling a move the instructor showed 3 or 4 times and then chatting for a couple minutes until the next move, sitting out every third or fourth roll or so, etc), so not all that time was actual training. I'm sure if I had been seriously focused I could have cut hundreds of hours off that time -- though I might have burned out too.

Of course, I spent a hell of a lot of time off the mats watching videos and such. That's probably a good 1,000 hours right there.

Job opportunities.

And what if you rush to x hours, find someone to give you a BB and you suck? That new job and new belt won't seem as cool the first time a good purple belt taps you in front of your class.

The TMAification of BJJ continues.

And what if you rush to x hours, find someone to give you a BB and you suck? That new job and new belt won't seem as cool the first time a good purple belt taps you in front of your class.

The TMAification of BJJ continues.

Those instructors are plagued with knee and back issues and never roll. Their students whisper about how they're world class and if they were healthy would be giving Galvao issues in the finals of mundials

Those instructors are plagued with knee and back issues and never roll. Their students whisper about how they're world class and if they were healthy would be giving Galvao issues in the finals of mundials

So, so true.

think im about 1500 hours on my blue belt ( not counting white belt ) my purple belt is prolly going to see alot more hours since I got fired and im going to move to train fulltime. somedays i spend 10 hours in the gym, but its hard to count actual hours, even if you are drilling technique only 50 percent of it is you actually working

edit : the bad thing about all these hours are the extra risk of injuries. I havent competed without an injury this year yet. the other bad thing is everytime you see a hot girl you go mentally retarded and conversations get lost.

I get about 8 hours of training a week. 50 good weeks of training a year. 400 hours a year. I got my blue after 2 years, right around 800 hours. I'm still a blue after another 2 years and around 800 hours, so 1600 hours and still a blue. At the current rate, I estimate getting a black belt after 4400 hours, or 7 more years of training, or 11 total years of training. That all sounds about right for a hobbyist.

Many people do - I have for the past couple of years, often more. I work a 42 hour week and train 15-20 hours a week.

I have done similar for periode of time, but never long term.

42 hours work, 15 hours MMA/BJJ training and was also doing one subject of my masters at the time (got a distinction too).

I didn't get much else done.

LOL This.

Interesting to see how some people just take how long a class is and use that as the time to calculate. In my old school, the ONLY time you counted was time actually rolling. So if a class was an hour and half, with 30 minutes of rolling. You got .5 hour in your logbook.

Interesting to see how some people just take how long a class is and use that as the time to calculate. In my old school, the ONLY time you counted was time actually rolling. So if a class was an hour and half, with 30 minutes of rolling. You got .5 hour in your logbook.

That makes no sense at all. So if I never took BJJ and watched youtube videos but joined my friend in the gym, then that counts (the rolling part)?

drilling (with a partner) is just as important if not more than rolling.

I'm over 1000 (atleast, good chance it's quite a bit more) hours and I"m a blue belt. So it's a shit-load of hours till black haha.

That makes no sense at all. So if I never took BJJ and watched youtube videos but joined my friend in the gym, then that counts (the rolling part)?

drilling (with a partner) is just as important if not more than rolling.

If you are never going to BJJ, then why would you be worrying about a logbook of your rolling time?

norsureifsrs

People/schools actually have log books of time? Interesting to see how everyone does it.

Back