How long does it take to get a BJJ black Belt? (hours)

This sounds more like it.

700 hours to blue belt at least!
2000 to purple AT LEAST

I'd say that black belt would take anywhere from 3000 to 10000 mat hours, depending on how skillful you are and how many comps you win.

A lot of blue belts around here have estimated some 150-300 h?

after about 6 years of rolling and being a 3 stripe purple... 4 classes x week average, 2 hrs per class average, so about 8 hrs per week x 52 weeks = 416 per year average, x 6 years = 2496, so about 2500 hours so far for a purple. Could've been much much more obviously.

Didn't Helio believe in 10,000 hours to be considered for a BB?

Helio would grade you to blue belt after 40 private classes.
He did not have the bb as the original belt system.
White belt
Blue belt
Darker blue belt for instructor.

Hmm, I would say, my figures are around this:
100 hours to blue belt
400 hours total to purple belt
1000 hours total to brown belt

not including competitions and seminars.

Hmm, I would say, my figures are around this:
100 hours to blue belt
400 hours total to purple belt
1000 hours total to brown belt

not including competitions and seminars.

Fuck... Ive gotta look at the way im learning then, by that logic i should be at least purple..

Is that BJJ Black Belt and World Championship in 3 years that BJ Penn did still even possible?

10,000 hours is insane, training 6 hours a week every week, no breaks it would take 32 years, and you would have to train 20 hours a week to break 10 years... (aint nobody got time for that.jpg)

3000 to 3500 sounds much more likely. Although competitions, instructor, private lessons and personal ability all play a major factor in bringing that down.

I have included teaching hours as well, half that from purple to brown was teaching.

That's still mat time where you are focused on and learning Jiu Jitsu.

One of the best things I've done to get good at sales (Regrettably the thing im best at in life) was teach people how to sell, you focus on the minute details more i find and it helps/reminds you of things.

Took me about 600 to blue. I would say black belt would have to be at least 4-5000 hours.

I was promoted to brown about 1 year ago. at that point, I would estimate about 3,100 hours. So now I'm at about 3,600 hours. No idea how long until black. Hopefully my total will be closer to 4,800 than to 6,000!

But really, who cares! It's fun being a brown belt. All of the ass-kickery, none of the pressure!

Edit - That's mat time. Drilling, rolling, teaching. Gi & no-gi.

I'm impressed you guys are able to estimate your own running totals with any kind of confidence. I've been doing some manner of grappling since 2001, but my consistancy has been so up & down over that time that I really have no idea at all how many hours I've logged in at this point.

Different people get held to way different standards. I see rec guys at my gym getting purple belts at the same rate as guys who are training 4 hours a day, every day. I then watch myself and other full time athletes go in and kick the shit out of other guys who are belted higher but do not put in the same hours of training.

training 8 yrs, still brown. In all that time i've roughly had about 1.5 yr off taken in several spirts due to broken arm, broken foot, torn hamstring, all from non bjj related stuff. riding streetbikes and dirtbikes mainly. But im excited to be competing at brown, and i know that whenever it happens, it will happen. My academy belts are hard to come by, and i appreciate that, so if it happens in 10, then i'd be good!

I'm impressed you guys are able to estimate your own running totals with any kind of confidence. I've been doing some manner of grappling since 2001, but my consistancy has been so up & down over that time that I really have no idea at all how many hours I've logged in at this point.

it's easy for me, cos i have a very rigid schedule, i did 2 a week until purple, and then started teaching twice a week

Mine is slightly more than I estimated because when I was a lower belt I trained 4 days a week for 2 years. Then I began to train on average 3 days a week. I just calculated at 3/week for simplicity sake since I didnt record every hour, seminar, no-gi.

How are you not dead?

That leaves you less than 5 hours of free time a day not including time to shower, cook, clean, travel to and from the gym and work, get ready for training, get ready for work etc which basically means you have no free time (i've included 8 hours sleep in there)

Einarr has zero social life

I'm guessing about 800 hours of gi training and I've had my blue for over a year now. If we're including all types of grappling then I'm over 1000 hours for sure.

Back