How long does it take to get a BJJ black Belt? (hours)

ocarey2

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
I know this question has probably been done to death and before anyone asks I'm not asking because I want to get fast tracked to black belt I'm just interested to know how long it takes. BJJ training is primarily to supplement my Judo for me so my rank in BJJ is irrelevant to me I just think it is an interesting topic.

A quick Google search gives me an answer of 8-10 years with a natural distribution curve associated I suspect, However I don't really think judging it in years is a very good way to establish the effort and commitment required to achieve said rank.

Therefore I am wondering if any of you guys could give an insight into how many hours on the mat it requires on average (peak of the bell curve) to get to that level.

If you care to give an estimate of the hours you have spent on the mat (include any relevant cross training separately) that would be helpful too.

I'm trying to compare the average level of skill of a black belt in BJJ to that of a black belt in Judo (in their respective disciplines.)

Look at the Ibjjf rankings, you'll then get an idea of how it should be.

I probably have 2500-3000 hours. I'm a purple belt.

That sounds really low to purple belt. Training a minimum of 15 hours a week, 50 weeks a year = at least 750 hours a year.

Who has time to train 15 hours a week for any extended period of time?

Have you had many long interruptions etc?

Nope I have been very consistent over nine years. I guess when I had my knee surgeries, I was out for about a month each. But I was still on the mat even if I wasn't actively training. I just watched and helped new guys a little.

ABout 2 weeks.

I bought mine from a Nigerian online along with a graduation paper that I didnt pick up years ago.

Many people do - I have for the past couple of years, often more. I work a 42 hour week and train 15-20 hours a week.

How are you not dead?

That leaves you less than 5 hours of free time a day not including time to shower, cook, clean, travel to and from the gym and work, get ready for training, get ready for work etc which basically means you have no free time (i've included 8 hours sleep in there)

Last edited:
How are you not dead?

That leaves you less than 5 hours of free time a day not including time to shower, cook, clean, travel to and from the gym and work, get ready for training, get ready for work etc which basically means you have no free time (i've included 8 hours sleep in there)

People on the internet are normally exaggerating.

How are you not dead?

I don't do much else except train in my free time.

Monday - 1.5 hours Freestyle Wrestling, 1 hour nogi BJJ
Tuesday - 2 hours BJJ, 1.5 hours Judo
Wednesday - 2 hours BJJ, 1.5 hours Judo
Thursday - 3 hours BJJ
Friday - 2 hours Judo
Saturday - 2 hours Judo

Then I do half an hour of kettlebells every other morning before work. I occasionally do anoher two hours of BJJ on Saturday and on national holidays do a 2 hour day class.

I don't do much else except train in my free time.

Monday - 1.5 hours Freestyle Wrestling, 1 hour nogi BJJ
Tuesday - 2 hours BJJ, 1.5 hours Judo
Wednesday - 2 hours BJJ, 1.5 hours Judo
Thursday - 3 hours BJJ
Friday - 2 hours Judo
Saturday - 2 hours Judo

Then I do half an hour of kettlebells every other morning before work. I occasionally do anoher two hours of BJJ on Saturday and on national holidays do a 2 hour day class.

You must live pretty close to the gym and to work then.

I'd love to be able to train 15 hours a week, but due to things like a full time job that takes up 45 hours a week, being a father, having a girlfriend, and not being young and able to bounce back like I used to from hard training, it's just not an option. I'm happy to get in 4.5-5 hours a week of BJJ training myself.

Back