How long does it take to get a BJJ black Belt? (hours)

If you are never going to BJJ, then why would you be worrying about a logbook of your rolling time?

You should ask the same for yourself. It doesn't matter as long as you spend 30 minutes rolling right :rolleyes:

By your standards the instruction and drilling don't count. Only the rolling. So if I study Youtube for 2 hrs a day then go to a gym and roll then thats (according to you) equal your instruction + drilling + rolling. See why that doesn't make sense?

You did say only rolling counts right? Did I misunderstand you?

Well, tell us how many hours it takes to become a Judo BB.

Well Judo is defo easier to get a black belt in. I don't think anyone would dispute that. I would say on average it takes about 700-1000 hours to achieve it. This number varies according to athleticism, size and quality of instruction. Since there is a competitive requirement whereby you must win 10 fights by Ippon against brown or black belts in competition. Alternatively you can win 5 fights in one day (including 3 in a row with no breaks in between) at a grading which is usually openweight although they try to match you with people your own size as much as possible. This is called a line up and is the preferred method of achieving the black. Heavier guys will find it easier to do it this way since they are less likely to be overpowered.

I did it in about 200 of the highest quality training with international level players, former olympians etc, but that obviously doesn't include all the time I spent thinking about techniques, shadow uchi komi (shadow boxing for judo players), looking up youtube instructionals, watching international Judo, talking to my flat mates about it, documenting my progress etc. I really threw myself into the whole scene as much as possible and got my black belt in just under 2 years. I did it through the 10 wins over a period of a few weeks method since Im not a particularly big gut although I did just miss out on my line up once (won my first two, got to my 3 in a row, won the first 2 by ippon but only won the last one by waza ari, a smaller score, so it didnt count. Before anyone says it is an IJF accredited black belt and not a mcdojo black belt, which includes a competitive requirement as well as a technical requirement to achieve. I am currently targeting national trial qualification within the next 18 months. If my remaining competitions go well this year I could make it in January although I think this is a little ambitious

Last edited:
Interesting to see how some people just take how long a class is and use that as the time to calculate. In my old school, the ONLY time you counted was time actually rolling. So if a class was an hour and half, with 30 minutes of rolling. You got .5 hour in your logbook.

Crazy. Rickson says you should do the following if you want to remain in the sport all your life, even into old age:

80% learning the technique with partner
15% position drilling
5% rolling

If not, the result can be that you simply quit. You won't last 5 years in the sport otherwise.

Crazy. Rickson says you should do the following if you want to remain in the sport all your life, even into old age:

15% position drilling
5% rolling

If not, the result can be that you simply quit. You won't last 5 years in the sport otherwise.

That is actually a pretty good formula.

The way it worked at my old school was that the log book had a list of techniques and shit that would be checked off whenever they were taught in class. So for example, you would have a class on armbars from guard and mount and those would be checked off in your logbook. You had to have all the techniques for the belt completed like 2-3 times in your logbook and then your rolling time was logged for the days. So you could not just show up to roll and get hours logged as you still needed to have the techniques checked off.

It was 90 hours for a stripe and then at 360 hours you were eligible to test for the next belt. Tests were basically the person testing picking out a partner and the instructors calling out moves and techniques and you having to demonstrate them. This was followed up by 45mins to and hour of non-stop rolling with the people testing lined up and the class just rotating through every minute.

New academy is basically professor's prerogative. If he thinks you deserve a stripe, you get one and if he thinks you deserve a belt, you get one.

15% position drilling
5% rolling

I've lasted 9 years in the sport so far with 40-50% rolling.

5% rolling is fucking ridiculous. Sorry Rickson.

I've lasted 9 years in the sport so far with 40-50% rolling.

5% rolling is fucking ridiculous. Sorry Rickson.

I expected this kind of response. So be it. I think details to technique are more important than winning on the mats and landing that sweet sub on your partner, but that's just me. To each his own.

And no offense but Rickson BJJ wisdom>>>>Sherdog wisdom

I expected this kind of response. So be it. I think details to technique are more important than winning on the mats and landing that sweet sub on your partner, but that's just me. To each his own.

And no offense but Rickson BJJ wisdom>>>>Sherdog wisdom

Lol shut up with that bullshit. No one good in BJJ got that way by rolling 5% of the time. Literally no one. If you want to suck for 50 years straight, go ahead with that formula. 5% of the time is like some TMA dojo where you have "sparring class" once a month.

You don't have to roll like a demon every time, but you need to roll.

Seriously, name one dude who is good who only rolled 5% of his mat time. And if you say Rickson I'm going to laugh my ass off because I know dudes who have trained with him, and he rolled a hell of a lot more than 5% of the time back when he was young and kicking ass all over the place. Somehow he is magically still in the sport too all this time later when he is in his 50s.

15% position drilling
5% rolling

When did he say this? Now when he's old? Or when he was young?

I'd bet you get a different response from him when you ask him what percentage of time he rolls when he was younger.

5% is BS.

Lol shut up with that bullshit. No one good in BJJ got that way by rolling 5% of the time. Literally no one. If you want to suck for 50 years straight, go ahead with that formula. 5% of the time is like some TMA dojo where you have "sparring class" once a month.

Seriously, name one dude who is good who only rolled 5% of his mat time. And if you say Rickson I'm going to laugh my ass off because I know dudes who have trained with him, and he rolled a hell of a lot more than 5% of the time back when he was young and kicking ass all over the place. Somehow he is magically still in the sport too all this time later when he is in his 50s.

When did he say this? Now when he's old? Or when he was young?

I'd bet you get a different response from him when you ask him what percentage of time he rolls when he was younger.

5% is BS.

Such hatred. Take all this angst to the mats and learn some technique ffs

Ari.

He's a brown and you're just a lowly purple.

Such hatred. Take all this angst to the mats and learn some technique ffs

If you want to do only 5% rolling, you're better off learning kung fu or some other TMA shit.

Jiu jitsu is hard on the wallet and hard on the body. Tai chi may suit you better.

Ari.

He's a brown and you're just a lowly purple.

Yeah, but only the truly gifted can follow Professor Bolden's path to success.

Can you imagine Helio in his challenge days rolling 5% of the time? Some dude shows up to the academy for a challenge, and Helio is like "Hey come back on Wednesday. We roll on Wednesdays. We only roll 5% of the time."

If you want to do only 5% rolling, you're better off learning kung fu or some other TMA shit.

Jiu jitsu is hard on the wallet and hard on the body. Tai chi may suit you better.

No shit, I am in the sport, obviously or I wouldn't be posting about it. Screw your tai chi trolling ass, do you ever post anything of substance or do you just put on your gi and get in your computer chair and come up with the shit you do? Every time I see a post by you in here, it's shitting on someone.

Go do some shrimping

Yeah, but only the truly gifted can follow Professor Bolden's path to success.

Can you imagine Helio in his challenge days rolling 5% of the time? Some dude shows up to the academy for a challenge, and Helio is like "Hey come back on Wednesday. We roll on Wednesdays. We only roll 5% of the time."

Pretty sure he meant during a class period. That doesn't count the time people spend after class, rolling....you really are quite the drama queen with this, aren't you? It's adorable.

No shit, I am in the sport, obviously or I wouldn't be posting about it. Fuck your tai chi trolling ass, do you ever post anything of substance or do you just put on your gi and get in your computer chair and come up with the shit you do? Every time I see a post by you in here, it's shitting on someone.

Go do some shrimping

I only shit on posts when posts are worth shitting on.

Let us know when you're done drinking the kool-aide.

I only shit on posts when posts are worth shitting on.

Let us know when you're done drinking the kool-aide.

It's strange to think since you shit on so many posts in here. Do you assume you know more than everyone else? Post some instructional videos for us, please. Were dying to see your superior knowledge to Rickson's. I imagine its damn good, can't wait.

15% position drilling
5% rolling

No wonder it's taken you a year to get 1 stripe (according to you from the other thread).

It's strange to think since you shit on so many posts in here. Do you assume you know more than everyone else? Post some instructional videos for us, please. Were dying to see your superior knowledge to Rickson's. I imagine its damn good, can't wait.

No, I don't know much stuff. But I'm sensitive to the dumb shit people post.

No wonder it's taken you a year to get 1 stripe (according to you from the other thread).

I don't think me not getting a stripe in 1 month is because I'm not very good or anything. I like to toot my own horn, you know

No, I don't know much stuff. But I'm sensitive to the dumb shit people post.

Not knowing much and shitting on dumb posts. Right. Got it.

:icon_idea

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
notnormal
Back