How is the UFC Gdansk Fight Night card stacking up?

UFC put on a good 'show' regardless of who's on the card. We're starved of cards in Europe so perhaps our expectations are lower.

A good headline (which I would not particularly class Struve vs Volkov as) is necessary, along with a sound main card, but you don't really travel there expecting a ppv quality 'stacked' card.

Even UFC 204 in Manchester was pretty thin in terms of name value.

I'm a big fan of Struve, but him main eventing is weak even for my Dutch bias. Same with Germaine de Randamie, who's co-main eventing. Siyar Bahadurzada is fighting below that, against a newcomer, Rob Wilkinson. I hope they all have great showings, but this is the "star power" we get. But technically GDR was a champion 1 fight ago, so maybe that justifies her co-main eventing. xD

At least UFC 204 had a championship fight and almost half of that card was ranked, including a bunch of top 5 guys.

The only top 5 fighters we're getting are guest fighters haha.

How did you get front row seats so cheaply? I thought we'd done well but that sounds great!

We have front row tickets at the fighter exit, but still close to the cage. The UFC Gdansk seatmap is "weird", as the front row tickets on the left and right side of the cage are super expensive, but above and below the cage has much cheaper sections. But, technically we're not cageside as we sit a row behind the media section, but at our area where the walk out is we are front row. I'm super happy with these seats, especially for that price.

Didn't realise last year's Dutch card was quite so strong!

It really was! The card had 13 fights and a lot of finishes as well. Last year we also had Neil Seery, Ulka Sasaki, Francimar Barroso, Willie Gates, Reza Madadi, Jon Tuck, Magnus Cedenblad, Heather Jo-Clark and a couple more.

By the way, Damian Stasiak vs. Brian Kelleher is added to UFC Gdansk.

We have front row tickets at the fighter exit, but still close to the cage. The UFC Gdansk seatmap is "weird", as the front row tickets on the left and right side of the cage are super expensive, but above and below the cage has much cheaper sections. But, technically we're not cageside as we sit a row behind the media section, but at our area where the walk out is we are front row. I'm super happy with these seats, especially for that price.

Ah right, the 349pln tickets. I was tempted by those myself but ended up buying in the block behind (169pln). Had I been buying just for myself (there are five of us going) I'd have probably pushed the boat out.

Looking at video footage of the arena though, I think most seats will be pretty good though.

It really was! The card had 13 fights and a lot of finishes as well. Last year we also had Neil Seery, Ulka Sasaki, Francimar Barroso, Willie Gates, Reza Madadi, Jon Tuck, Magnus Cedenblad, Heather Jo-Clark and a couple more.

All the bouts announced will be competitive and I'm excited about my first trip to Poland but, come on UFC, give us a decent main card now!

Ah right, the 349pln tickets. I was tempted by those myself but ended up buying in the block behind (169pln). Had I been buying just for myself (there are five of us going) I'd have probably pushed the boat out.

Looking at video footage of the arena though, I think most seats will be pretty good though.

Yes the 349pln tickets! We originally planned to sit somewhere halfway, but for that price we just couldn't resist going "all in". If you check the Poland seatmap, our seats are the ones right below the letter "AMP" of CHAMP WALK lol.

The people in the section across us, on the other side of walking isle (who are just a couple of feet closer to the cage) had to pay 3 to 5 times of what we paid, depending on which row they sit.

But on the left side next to the cage, front frow tickets cost like $600, while in Rotterdam that cost just below $200. Very weird pricing for Gdansk, but I'm not complaining haha!

All the bouts announced will be competitive and I'm excited about my first trip to Poland but, come on UFC, give us a decent main card now!

As long as Karolina Kowalkiewicz (my favorite female fighter) fights in the main event (preferably vs. Tecia Torres or Michelle Waterson) I'll be happy.

I read rumors of Dennis Siver and Artem Lobov fighting on UFC Gdansk (possibly vs. each other maybe?) but that might be nothing more than just rumors.

Yes the 349pln tickets! We originally planned to sit somewhere halfway, but for that price we just couldn't resist going "all in". If you check the Poland seatmap, our seats are the ones right below the letter "AMP" of CHAMP WALK lol.

The people in the section across us, on the other side of walking isle (who are just a couple of feet closer to the cage) had to pay 3 to 5 times of what we paid, depending on which row they sit.

But on the left side next to the cage, front frow tickets cost like $600, while in Rotterdam that cost just below $200. Very weird pricing for Gdansk, but I'm not complaining haha!

Yep, some of the pricing was bizarre. I almost accidentally bought 5 tickets for 169pln right on the ring walk. Luckily I realised that they were actually 1,199pln just before I completed the transaction!

Anyway, more than happy with the seats we do have and in that arena even the very cheap tickets up in the gods should be OK.

Now give us a main card, UFC!

Also, have you seen pictures of the Ergo Arena where UFC Gdansk is held? It looks huge! And beautiful venue as well. Statistics say the seating is about the same size as Rotterdam's Ahoy venue, but the Argo Arena looks much bigger lol.

As long as Karolina Kowalkiewicz (my favorite female fighter) fights in the main event (preferably vs. Tecia Torres or Michelle Waterson) I'll be happy.

I read rumors of Dennis Siver and Artem Lobov fighting on UFC Gdansk (possibly vs. each other maybe?) but that might be nothing more than just rumors.

Karolina is nailed on; she was front and centre in the official promos. Either of those opponents would be good although I'd like to see her derail the calvillo hype train.

Good twitter sources pointing to Lobov and Siver both figuring (though not against each other). There was even mention of Lobov fighting Doo Ho Choi, which would be fantastic!

Most speculative rumours was Gustav vs Volkan-Gus but I just don't see that one coming off here unfortunately.

Yep, some of the pricing was bizarre. I almost accidentally bought 5 tickets for 169pln right on the ring walk. Luckily I realised that they were actually 1,199pln just before I completed the transaction!

Anyway, more than happy with the seats we do have and in that arena even the very cheap tickets up in the gods should be OK.

Now give us a main card, UFC!

I honestly thought we would get a few announcements when tickets would go on sale, but that didn't happen haha.

But for Gdansk I don't care much about the card, because of the price we paid and it's going to be an epic mini vacation regardless of UFC.

And I can probably get shitfaced there every night for $30.

Karolina is nailed on; she was front and centre in the official promos. Either of those opponents would be good although I'd like to see her derail the calvillo hype train.

Good twitter sources pointing to Lobov and Siver both figuring (though not against each other). There was even mention of Lobov fighting Doo Ho Choi, which would be fantastic!

Most speculative rumours was Gustav vs Volkan-Gus but I just don't see that one coming off here unfortunately.

I would be so down with Oezdemir vs. Gustafsson, imagine that being main event and Karolina fighting in the co-main, that alone would give this event a huge boost in (European) star power.

Lobov vs. Doo Ho Choi? Yes please! The Korean Superboy is awesome!

I would be so down with Oezdemir vs. Gustafsson, imagine that being main event and Karolina fighting in the co-main, that alone would give this event a huge boost in (European) star power.

Lobov vs. Doo Ho Choi? Yes please! The Korean Superboy is awesome!

Wow! Can you imagine: Volkan-Gus, Karolina-Karate Hottie and Artem-Choi? It'd be epic! That last matchup would has scrap of the year potential. I'm not holding my breath yet though.

As you said, the arena looks superb, the beer will flow cheaply and, by all accounts, it's a great city.

My own hope is that a couple of my UK favourites (Jimi, Diakese or Jo-Jo) might also get a comeback fight but, whatever happens, it'll be fun.

Wow! Can you imagine: Volkan-Gus, Karolina-Karate Hottie and Artem-Choi? It'd be epic! That last matchup would has scrap of the year potential. I'm not holding my breath yet though.

As you said, the arena looks superb, the beer will flow cheaply and, by all accounts, it's a great city.

My own hope is that a couple of my UK favourites (Jimi, Diakese or Jo-Jo) might also get a comeback fight but, whatever happens, it'll be fun.

I don't expect to see Jimi Manuwa on the card, but I'm down with that! Diakiese and/or Calderwood I'd be happy to see too! I also wouldn't say no to see Maryna Moroz on the card (my second favorite female fighter lol).

I don't expect to see Jimi Manuwa on the card, but I'm down with that! Diakiese and/or Calderwood I'd be happy to see too! I also wouldn't say no to see Maryna Moroz on the card (my second favorite female fighter lol).

Probably too early for Jimi anyway, given the nature of his last defeat.

Lobov's opponent has now been confirmed (see attachment), not Superboy but still a good scrap. Siver's bout ought to be confirmed soon, so fingers crossed for Choi there or maybe even Yair Rodroguez, with both coming off recent wins against BJ. Hopefully more announcements soon! IMG_20170818_102530.jpg

Lobov vs. Fili is a good scrap for Gdansk!

Plenty of talk online about Gus-Volkan headlining. Volkan has been calling Gus out but you can understand why he'd be reluctant to put what looks like a guaranteed title shot on the line against a very dangerous foe.

You could also argue that the UFC would prefer to hold this back for a ppv. As a European event this would be a superfight though, so we can dare to dream.

Failing this, Manuwa-Glover would be a good main and a decent crossroads fight, with Karolina vs Waterson/Torres/Esparza acting as a very good vo-main.

Back