how do you give a good skull ride?

these specific guys will go from knee on belly and when I push it away they pressure down harder and move north onto the solar plexus or even high chest/low neck area. shoulder pressure to the point where you can tell theyre trying to get a tap from it/hurt you with it.

I have an MMA fight coming up and I am going back to the Gi classes for a bit so I can get knee ridden by senior belts who are bigger than me, its my anti-quit and body shot training rolled into one.

Everyone has grAppled against someone who's being a Dick. What's a good way to pay them back? I read on here a.skull ride is a good way. Any other tips?

Train harder than them and surpass him. That will piss him off. plus you will get something positive out of it.

Train harder than them and surpass him. That will piss him off. plus you will get something positive out of it.

This.

Better to humiliate someone with swift precise and efficient technique...take note I never said swift, precise and efficient technique doesn't hurt...

Strangely worded thread title.

Strange.

Everyone has grAppled against someone who's being a Dick. What's a good way to pay them back? I read on here a.skull ride is a good way. Any other tips?

Ignoring the guy and not rolling with him is also a option just in case you havnt thought of that yet.

Ignoring the guy and not rolling with him is also a option just in case you havnt thought of that yet.

The instructor would make me roll. I dare say that if I refused to roll with someone the instructor would give me a skull ride.

Last edited:

Funny how most of the thread consists of F12 regulars giving the guy tips on how to play dirty in training, and then a top flight brown belt shows up and says "maybe you should just get better than him". Kudos to you, Sean.

TS, quit being a child. Work on your game and learn to tap the guy out. If you're seeking payback in any other form than a tap, then IMO you need to take a good hard look in the mirror and decide if you're trying to become a better martial artist, or just another wannabe toughguy thug.

Funny how most of the thread consists of F12 regulars giving the guy tips on how to play dirty in training, and then a top flight brown belt shows up and says "maybe you should just get better than him". Kudos to you, Sean.

TS, quit being a child. Work on your game and learn to tap the guy out. If you're seeking payback in any other form than a tap, then IMO you need to take a good hard look in the mirror and decide if you're trying to become a better martial artist, or just another wannabe toughguy thug.

Your probably haven't read through the thread. This has nothing to do with being a tough guy thug lol. This is about stopping dirty fighters from taking the piss. I'm always respectful but if someone who surpasses you in size, strength,skill and number of years training fights dirty then ignoring it doesn't help.. No one should disrespect you for being humble.

Your probably haven't read through the thread. This has nothing to do with being a tough guy thug lol. This is about stopping dirty fighters from taking the piss. I'm always respectful but if someone who surpasses you in size, strength,skill and number of years training fights dirty then ignoring it doesn't help.. No one should disrespect you for being humble.

I read the thread, and it is about tough guy retribution games.

You haven't elaborated on what he's actually doing. And quite frankly, I've seen plenty of people whine about "dirty" tactics that are perfectly acceptable just because they were upset about "losing" a gym roll.

If whatever he is doing is really that bad, say something. If he doesn't think it's a problem, bring it up with your instructor. If the instructor tells you to remove your tampon, either suck it up or find a new gym. Problem solved.

What I can't stand are idiots playing juvenille ego-driven "payback" games in training. Every time you train, you're putting your health in your partner's hands, and vice versa. In my book, anybody willing to deliberately betray that trust has no place setting foot in the gym. It disrespects all of your training partners, your instructor, and the training environment.

What I can't stand are idiots playing juvenille ego-driven "payback" games in training. Every time you train, you're putting your health in your partner's hands, and vice versa. In my book, anybody willing to deliberately betray that trust has no place setting foot in the gym. It disrespects all of your training partners, your instructor, and the training environment.

He is just wanting to do a little skull riding, he isn't trying to intentionally injure him. Nothing wrong with ratcheting up the roughness within the rules IMO. If going to knee on head is that morally depraved, then I guess I need to head to church, because I do that shit all the time- usually just to calm a spaz down, but occasionally, just to be mean. I don't feel like I am endangering or betraying my partners, I feel like I am having fun while annoying someone intentionally. I did it when I was 8 with the purple nurples I skillfully applied to my brother, and I still do it today. It is all in good humor.

He is just wanting to do a little skull riding, he isn't trying to intentionally injure him. Nothing wrong with ratcheting up the roughness within the rules IMO. If going to knee on head is that morally depraved, then I guess I need to head to church, because I do that shit all the time- usually just to calm a spaz down, but occasionally, just to be mean. I don't feel like I am endangering or betraying my partners, I feel like I am having fun while annoying someone intentionally. I did it when I was 8 with the purple nurples I skillfully applied to my brother, and I still do it today. It is all in good humor.

TS escalates it, then his partner escalates it, and before long someone is dealing with an injury that didn't need to happen. And for what? Douchebag ego games about gym rolls.

Pretty silly to complain about someone being a dick and then doing this exact sort of thing to others just to be a dick. I expect better from my elementary school aged nephews, let alone grown men that are supposedly training in martial arts.

ts escalates it, then his partner escalates it, and before long someone is dealing with an injury that didn't need to happen. And for what? Douchebag ego games about gym rolls.

Pretty silly to complain about someone being a dick and then doing this exact sort of thing to others just to be a dick. I expect better from my elementary school aged nephews, let alone grown men that are supposedly training in martial arts.

lol

Exactly!

TS escalates it, then his partner escalates it, and before long someone is dealing with an injury that didn't need to happen. And for what? Douchebag ego games about gym rolls.

http://youtu.be/UJzM7zI9hI0

This brings up the question of top pressure. Good top pressure is actually driving your weight through the ground fully, even contracting your muscle to actually drive through him. The lower you can get your hips the better, and by this I mean actually focusing to lower the level of your hips into him and the closest to him possible. Too many people just lay on top of people and never actually crush them properly. Drive your weight through your toes, learn to be aware of your hips and learn how to use them, learn how deny him his hips by controlling them, that way he loses his biggest source of power.

TS refers to a dick and wants to perform skull ride.

Disappointed at thread progress thus far.

Not only are you misapplying what Sonnen said (specifically about responding on the spot, not days late), but you're also neglecting that he describes an escalation just like I did. By the time you get to slapping or punching someone, most gyms will show you the door.

And let's consider again that you won't voice any kind of objection to your training partner or instructor, but you'll come here looking for ways to "pay him back" without getting in trouble. How big of a coward are you?

Not only are you misapplying what Sonnen said (specifically about responding on the spot, not days late), but you're also neglecting that he describes an escalation just like I did. By the time you get to slapping or punching someone, most gyms will show you the door.

And let's consider again that you won't voice any kind of objection to your training partner or instructor, but you'll come here looking for ways to "pay him back" without getting in trouble. How big of a coward are you?

This has nothing to do with cowardice. The clip clearly says to esculate to stop a bully. I'm not going to pay him back unless he does anything dirty. If he does i'll take the advice from the clip, and my fellow sherdoggers who have contributed to this thread. This doesn't include you.

Skull ride (when not done part as an actual technique/choke) is just dumb grappling to me. I can sit on a new wbs face for 5 minutes if I want to. I don't because it is stupid and unnecessary.

Nothing wrong with some pressure from side control/north-south or KOB because that is how it is actually done. Usually that is enough for the new guys to understand that they need to take it easy, without injuring or humiliating them.

My guess is that you are misinterpreting a better grappler for a bully. You realize that you can not skull ride from the bottom of side control? If he surpasses you in "size, strength,skill and number of years training" how are you going to skull ride him?

This has nothing to do with cowardice. The clip clearly says to esculate to stop a bully. I'm not going to pay him back unless he does anything dirty. If he does i'll take the advice from the clip, and my fellow sherdoggers who have contributed to this thread. This doesn't include you.

It has everything to do with cowardice. You could easily resolve the matter respectfully with your partner and/or instructor. Instead you choose to be a little bitch about it and play tit for tat.

But you're right....it's probably better that you and your partner stay at odds and looking for ways to get back at one another. That's much better than two teammates that train hard, but ultimately want to help each other improve and succeed. :rolleyes:

Back