how do you give a good skull ride? | Page 5

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by snowman22, Feb 13, 2013.

1. snowman22 Blue Belt

snowman22
    I asked a question and he gave an answer. He never said he did it.

2. snowman22 Blue Belt

snowman22
    Any tips for nose compressions or knee on throat?

3. Quipling Black Belt

Quipling
    just got to watch a purple belt get asked to leave for something like this. IDK what the whitebelt did to piss him off, but the instructor didn't seem to much care either.

4. Einarr Banned

Einarr
    Knee choke from Knee-on-Belly: 1) First establish a solid KoB. Assuming you're on their right-hand side you want your right knee on their diaphragm. I like to use my left hand to secure their collar and my right hand on their near leg to stop them shrimping away from you. 2) with your right hand catch their left arm as if you're going for a spinning farside armbar, keep it tight to you. 3) they should assume you're going for a spinning armbar or maybe a compressing armbar (Ude Gatame) and will therefore not usually be thinking to much about their throat. 4) let go of the collar and use your palm on their forehead to push their head to the mat, as you do this switch from your right knee being on their diaphragm to your left knee being on the middle of their throat (with most of the pressure on their trachea. 5) pull the captured left arm up and into you with your right arm at the same time as you elevate their head using your left hand on their crown.

Knee choke from S-Mount: As far as I'm aware I came up with this myself, it works very for me - I was never taught it and I have never seen before. Establish a high, tight S-Mount. 1) Normally you want your knee almost acting like a pillow under their head but for this you want it lower and inline with the neck, you can even start high and let them think they're working their way out. Don't worry if they manage to "escape" their near arm so that they have their far arm in and their near arm out - it actually makes this easier to finish as you have one less hand to fight against you. 2) Capture their far arm as it is their main defense (pushing your knee off). 3) bring your left knee up onto their throat. 4) Pull the captured arm up and into you. 5) don't use your left arm to elevate the head but rather use it to post in front of you. 6) lean forwards into the choke, keep a lookout for the compressing armbar as when the choke comes on people often forget about the arm you have captured as they're trying to escape.

5. Einarr Banned

Einarr
    What happened? Was he permanently expelled? Was the purple belt under your instructor or ranked under someone else?

6. Quipling Black Belt

Quipling
    I think he was just asked to cool off, not permanently expelled, but he might be too embarrassed to show up for a bit. It wasn't a loud conversation, and I wasn't about to eavesdrop.

I assume he's under the instructor/owner- I haven't asked him, and haven't been there that long, but he's a little older.

If I were to guess, they don't want the potential liability that can come from self-help 'justice' and would rather handle it on their own.

7. shunyata Black Belt

shunyata
    I still assert that skull riding from north south or head mount is only appropriate in the bedroom with a consenting adult.

zeli_papa and mattemate like this.
  8. snowman22 Blue Belt

snowman22
    Good post!

9. Daniel Tapia Green Belt

Daniel Tapia
    really nice post. I can almost never follow descriptive posts like these because there are so many details that don't get mentioned or things are really ambiguous but this post here was very clear. really awesome advice.

10. Einarr Banned

Einarr
    Thanks. Reading it again there's a couple of things I could have made a little clearer/ explained more thoroughly (f.ex. the collar grip I mentioned should be deep and under the head, and you should have it from the beginning having used it to initially "pop-up" to KoB). I'm really surprised Roberto Abreu hasn't made an instructional on this yet.

11. Waxwingslain oiseau rebelle

Waxwingslain
    Einarr - nice description and thank you. When you first mentioned the knee choke earlier in this thread I did a quick search on youtube for a video, went straight off to class, and started hitting it on people.

The video I found.

I actually got the choke to work just using the collar grip and a fairly loose grip on the far sleeve. Possibly people just weren't expecting it. I put a lot more hip into my choke than the guy in the video though.

I couldn't work out how you were doing the s mount version which made me sad because I fricking love s mount. I will go back to it.

12. snowman22 Blue Belt

snowman22
    Thanks for the replies guys!

13. snowman22 Blue Belt

snowman22
    any more?

p.s. Can someone explain the facehold?

14. nomoremondays Green Belt

nomoremondays
    five months later you are still looking around for dick moves. The problem is probably not with your gym mates but you.

15. snowman22 Blue Belt

snowman22
    lol

mike sherry likes this.
  16. snowman22 Blue Belt

snowman22
    This and the fact I wouldn't turn down a roll. For the pussies on the forum, top pressure, smoothering and making your opponent as uncomfortable as possible is all part of the training. Alot of people who complain of dick moves on here where just standard in training and I thought that was MMA/bjj. Going for eyes and deliberate elbows and knees to the head in pure grappling from much bigger opponents aren't really cool. They would get an instant DQ in competition.

17. MaxMMA Orange Belt

MaxMMA
    Knee on chest/shoulder/neck/face is a legit position. You should be facing your opponents feet while in this position.

18. mike sherry Purple Belt

mike sherry
    you bumped a 4 year old thread to defend yourself? amazing

Edison Carasio and mattemate like this.
  19. mattemate Brown Belt

mattemate
    Great necro

I miss Einarr lol

Actually one of the first subs I learned.

A lot of times if I'm stuck in a triangle I'll just grind their face with the top of my head. Kind of nasty but it usually breaks the triangle or at least makes them suffer for a while

20. andrewm2211 Yellow Belt

andrewm2211
    Scrubbing through this thing.
    Sounds like OP said the guy just put on too much pressure from kotb and shoulder in the face?

That's not being a dick where I'm from.