How could Usman age so much as a fighter in one fight and have nothing left in the tank vs Chimaev?

He went from super impressive to empty in a very short time frame.

Is Chimaev really that good? He had a war against Burns (who is terrific but not invincible)..
because he didn't train for it, you dolt. what kind of questions are these?

One mistake I see a lot of these guys make is poor fight choices after a loss.

Usman lost to Edwards, by knockout. In a fight where he got dominated in round one and had some good success in the middle rounds but then KOd brutally in round 5.

So what does he do? He immediately takes a rematch just expecting to win this time around. No changes made, he gets clowned on and loses again. Then what does he do? He moves up 15lbs and takes a short notice fight against an undefeated monster of a fighter in Chimaev.

And now he legit might be a broken fighter. Those were some tough losses.

Instead of rushing to the Edwards rematch, what's the harm in taking a fight against someone like Brady, Belal, Thompson. A fight that could have potentially got him back into the win column and gained some momentum and confidence before facing Edwards again. Just bone headed decisions and poor handling of a fighters career.

And I don't know what Usman is gonna do next, but given what history has shown us he will likely take a fight against someone who is a ridiculously tough matchup and get beat up.

One mistake I see a lot of these guys make is poor fight choices after a loss.

Usman lost to Edwards, by knockout. In a fight where he got dominated in round one and had some good success in the middle rounds but then KOd brutally in round 5.

So what does he do? He immediately takes a rematch just expecting to win this time around. No changes made, he gets clowned on and loses again. Then what does he do? He moves up 15lbs and takes a short notice fight against an undefeated monster of a fighter in Chimaev.

And now he legit might be a broken fighter. Those were some tough losses.

Instead of rushing to the Edwards rematch, what's the harm in taking a fight against someone like Brady, Belal, Thompson. A fight that could have potentially got him back into the win column and gained some momentum and confidence before facing Edwards again. Just bone headed decisions and poor handling of a fighters career.

And I don't know what Usman is gonna do next, but given what history has shown us he will likely take a fight against someone who is a ridiculously tough matchup and get beat up.
Is he desperate for money?

Look at olympic world records etc. Everyone is limited by the mental barrier of what they believe is possible until they see someone else do it, then many people can do it very soon after. Once a champ has been beat, a lot of the mystique and threat disappears and opponents can fight with more confidence. Also I'm 36 as well and confirm it's no fun, can't imagine scrapping with these brutes especially with dodgy knees

Is Chimaev really that good? He had a war against Burns (who is terrific but not invincible)..
The level of wrestling Khazmat demonstrated would be hard for any version of Usman to handle. Nobody has ever taken him down and controlled him like that. There's simply levels to it.

I don't think that fight looks much different, regardless of which version of Usman shows up. Skill for skill, it's not a great style matchup for him.

People bring up the cardio thing, but a short notice opponent change affect Khazmat just as much.

Going from Costa to a grinder, cardio freak who you will have to expend Infinitely more energy to take and hold down Is a big deal.

There's no rest against Usman. Which is a big deal when It comes to preparation, especially In the mythical 5 round fight that Usman supposedly would've won.

Hes nigerian, dude has amazing genes.

Is he desperate for money?
No I think he is just a competitor and wants the biggest fights and challenges. But getting some wins under your belt before attempting those is probably a good idea if you want to stick around. He's also old and probably knows he doesn't have much time left.. but he's on a course to lose 4 in a row potentially and end up getting knocked out by Jake Paul or Mike Perry if hes not careful about his next moves

The level of wrestling Khazmat demonstrated would be hard for any version of Usman to handle. Nobody has ever taken him down and controlled him like that. There's simply levels to it.

I don't think that fight looks much different, regardless of which version of Usman shows up. Skill for skill, it's not a great style matchup for him.

People bring up the cardio thing, but a short notice opponent change affect Khazmat just as much.

Going from Costa to a grinder, cardio freak who you will have to expend Infinitely more energy to take and hold down Is a big deal.

There's no rest against Usman. Which is a big deal when It comes to preparation, especially In the mythical 5 round fight that Usman supposedly would've won.

But Khamzat couldn't do anything with the wrestling after Round 1

Lol what? Kamaru took the fight on a weeks notice and a weight division above his and did great! He’s still a sick fighter.

Did you watch this fight? Usman took the fight on 10 days notice and if the fight had been 5 rounds he would have won this fight easily.

Part of it could be the phenomenon of the dethroned champ. They almost all take multiple losses after losing. I need to do a statistical summary on this because it happens very often to champs and undefeated fighters. The other possibility is that he got completely handled in the first which could have thrown him off his game. But he was also coming back towards the end and could have maybe won had it been 5 rounds.
I’ve noticed the same thing. Cody G, Dominick Reyes, Holly, Ronda, Weidman all took at least 3 consecutive losses with the exception of Ronda who we can assume would have if she didn’t retire. And those are just undefeated fighters off the top of my head, not long term champs like Usman or Barao.

outside of the first round that chim looked average at best.

He's a one round fighter, and he dodged a bullet with costa - he'd have been TKO'd or flat out KO'd buy that playboy.

What? Usman did great, Khamzat is a monster but Usman showed that he is still great.

The worst version of Usman was able to weather Khamzat's blitz in the first round and either draw or beat him depending on your scoring for the 10-8. Khamzat didn't cause any significant damage, got slammed on his wrist causing damage, got outstruck and barely won against a guy who didn't get to prep his wrestling for the fight.

Khamzat wouldn't have been anywhere near as successful against Usman with a camp. Khamzat has squeeked by vs Burns and now Usman in fights he arguably didn't win.

Burns didn't even want to go to the ground against him.

Doesn't that prove G&P + wrestling beats WC Submission wrestling?
Burns has been primarily a striker for a while now. The grappling is only used if he gets someone hurt.

Vs Khamzat he went for the soccer kick instead haha

Back