How could Usman age so much as a fighter in one fight and have nothing left in the tank vs Chimaev?

Part of it could be the phenomenon of the dethroned champ. They almost all take multiple losses after losing. I need to do a statistical summary on this because it happens very often to champs and undefeated fighters. The other possibility is that he got completely handled in the first which could have thrown him off his game. But he was also coming back towards the end and could have maybe won had it been 5 rounds.

That headkick from Leon aged him 10 years overnight

200w.gif

Part of it could be the phenomenon of the dethroned champ. They almost all take multiple losses after losing. I need to do a statistical summary on this because it happens very often to champs and undefeated fighters. The other possibility is that he got completely handled in the first which could have thrown him off his game. But he was also coming back towards the end and could have maybe won had it been 5 rounds.
yeah something is up. Maybe mentally..

Didn't it strike you (no pun intended) that he looked very lackluster right from the get-go?

I don't believe he'd ever fought someone who took the approach Khamzat did with that amount of athleticism, not to mention a new weight category and short notice. Plenty factors to consider, wasn't surprising at all imo.

Will Khamzat go down as the next Khabib? What do you think? Who can outwrestle him?

Short notice
Different weight class (no size or strength advantage)
Against a guy in or near his prime.

Are why usman didn’t look as dominant. But he didn’t look bad overall and was getting the better of khazmat later on.

It’s just that we were used to seeing usman have nearly invincible wrestling defence, which khamzat picked up and slammed out of our minds early and often. Usman was still usman just with a major wrestling disadvantage for the first time in his life and in a division he’s not used to

Nothing left in the tank? Fight was ruled a "majority decision" for Khamzat. Most people watching believe had it been 5 rounds Usman would have won. Usman breaking Khamzat's wrist was the most significant damage done in the fight.

He had nothing left in the tank? What fight were you watching? Apparently not the actual one itself. Usman did well considering he took it on short notice and up a weight class. Some of us thought he earned himself a draw. He did pretty damn well, all things considered.

He had nothing left in the tank? What fight were you watching? Apparently not the actual one itself. Usman did well considering he took it on short notice and up a weight class. Some of us thought he earned himself a draw. He did pretty damn well, all things considered.
I switched it off after 2 rounds due to lack of competitiveness. I'll check it out again then.

Cormier came back from it.
So have lots of fighters, you already know this… but when competitive at the very highest levels the margin for error is so slim that the smallest of intangibles can completely affect the outcome of a fight.

Only one that can stop khamzat for suplexing the entire ufc roster: the visa officer(s)
Burns didn't even want to go to the ground against him.

Doesn't that prove G&P + wrestling beats WC Submission wrestling?

Will Khamzat go down as a new Khabib? What do you think? Who can outwrestle him?
I don't think so, Khabib was cerebral as fuck and took nothing for granted in the octagon. Khamzat seems reckless at times, and is fighting at weight classes that imo are a lot more dangerous without full concentration and intelligent game planning.
I think there are future tests for him in every department, wrestling, cardio, striking etc.
He has all the tools though, if he improves and uses wisdom rather than ego I could see him being a huge challenge for anyone.

Last edited:
Back