Hannah Gadsby has a message for all the men who think her “comedy” special was unfunny

First time I've heard a laugh track in a comedy. Norm gets cancelled and Waldo gets praised, ridiculous.

Lotta "war room right" previously banned posters coming back since August.

Stirring the pot with impunity

I watched it because I watch all standup specials on Netflix.

Honestly, I went into it wanting to hate it but I thought the first half was fine. It wasn't great, but it was a fine middling comedy special which puts it at the high end of Netflix specials.

When it went off the rails about half way in, my wife and I watched probably another 10 minutes of it and then turned it off.

Not because it wasn't funny, or because it was offensive, but because it was boring.

It's a shame really because if she just worked on her set a bit longer, she has the natural talent for an hour special. Tbh I think she just ran into a deadline and didn't have enough jokes, so she padded the last half hour with something else.

slightly offtopic, but I just went to Starbucks and I saw a cat destroying a muffin just like Sebastian Maniscalco describes in that one bit. I lost it

Oh', that broad.

Saw the trailer on Netflix. Guess she's some notable Aussie comedian who figured her self deprecating humor was becoming taboo, and decided to turn her show into a sensitivity training seminar for morons to lap up. Good on her for preying on the stupid, who will never figure out that she did this to capitalize on the culture that rewards hypocrisy and phony sentimentality.

Or, maybe she's a comedian who spent her life ridiculing herself for money, and now she feels the experience is worth sharing, because it was terrible.

I had never heard about her until this post. It's entirely possible you are completely correct, but a lot of people make fun of themselves because it's the only way they can feel people are laughing with them at not at them.

I think that maybe there are a lot of people out there who will appreciate her message, and I don't think they're necessarily stupid.

Caveat emptor: I'm basing this statement on the few seconds of her act in that clip. If she's just another neo-feminist spouting the same lines, then it is what it is.

“Nanette is a stand-up comedy act written and performed by Australian comedian Hannah Gadsby, which debuted in 2017. The work includes social commentary, especially about LGBTQ issues. In June 2018, Netflix released a video of Gadsby's performance of the work at the Sydney Opera House. Gadsby's live performances and the video have received critical praise. Achieving a 100% approval score on Rotten Tomatoes“

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nanette_(show)

Incredulous_Buscimi.gif

I saw most of her special. It wasn't bad at all. I mean, in the second half it wasn't even a comedy, but it was still pretty good.

“Nanette is a stand-up comedy act written and performed by Australian comedian Hannah Gadsby, which debuted in 2017. The work includes social commentary, especially about LGBTQ issues. In June 2018, Netflix released a video of Gadsby's performance of the work at the Sydney Opera House. Gadsby's live performances and the video have received critical praise. Achieving a 100% approval score on Rotten Tomatoes“

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nanette_(show)

Seems like I should check it out.

Not for me in the slightest. Same with that dude doing stand up in front of no audience.

I mean do you but I don't think it's comedy. I heard Nanette was really powerful, and her response is pretty good. The "in a funny way" is a good poke at what they're saying about her.

Alt comedy is always fucking weird though.
What's alt comedy?

What's alt comedy?

It's a pretty wide ranging term so hard to really narrow down, but I just lump art geek style comedy in with it.

I'm a traditionalist when it comes to stand up myself but different strokes and all.

Maria Bamford is an alt comic and I love her though. The baby jesus bit is amazing.

It's a pretty wide ranging term so hard to really narrow down, but I just lump art geek style comedy in with it.

I'm a traditionalist when it comes to stand up myself but different strokes and all.

Maria Bamford is an alt comic and I love her though. The baby jesus bit is amazing.

Why do you consider her an alt comic?

It looked terrible from the trailer and description. I may check it out some day but it seemed unfunny and grating.

Why do you consider her an alt comic?

Interesting question. Perhaps delivery? Maybe I subconsciously associate her to certain rooms.

Look. I won't shit talk any other forms of comedy but I'm very against people trying to use comedy exclusively as a platform.

Granted I'm watching some garbage fucking open mic'r that goes by the wizard fucking bomb.

Interesting question. Perhaps delivery? Maybe I subconsciously associate her to certain rooms.

Look. I won't shit talk any other forms of comedy but I'm very against people trying to use comedy exclusively as a platform.

Granted I'm watching some garbage fucking open mic'r that goes by the wizard fucking bomb.

I guess I just never really understood what alt comedy or odd meta comedy was supposed to be.

She definitely has a persona so is that supposed to be alt comedy?

Would Eddie Izzard be an alt comic?

I just never understood the terms.

If this Hannah chick is supposed to be an alt comic I can understand in the sense that it doesn't seem like she's going for laughs. May more of a "ah that's clever kind of reaction."

I said I thought Bill Hicks is overrated and maybe that's because he's an alt comic? More clever observations than laugh out loud bits.

Just never really understood the term and Bramford gets real belly laughs from me.

Back