Half-Life 2 is still one of the best Single-Player FPSs ever.

I had this debate with a guy at work one day...

Best story for a FPS? He went with Half Life and I went with Bioshock.

Others though that are up there would be Halo, Prey (old one), FEAR, Timesplitters, Darkness, Metroid Prime...

Others though that are up there would be Halo, Prey (old one), FEAR, Timesplitters, Darkness, Metroid Prime...

Definitely agree Bioshock has the better story. Deus Ex would be my #1 choice though

Cinematic mod ruins the atmosphere. Just use Half-Life 2 Update instead. CM makes Alyx look like this:

ACtually you can choose what models you want in game.. So i advise you that you use Cinematic mod,because without HL2 looks really dated if you are used to 2015+ graphics.

I agree... the AI solider are the best I have ever fought against .. awesome in everyway, they flank, hold off, talk to each other, don't mindlessly run into gun fire etc etc etc..

Also the game allowed you to discover what you had to do, made you think, not like the bullshit hold your hands in games now.

Half Life was game changing. I have no doubts other games may have a better story line, but Half Life changed how we immersed ourselves into games, how the game was played, how the atmosphere was developed, etc.. Bioshock even tipped its hat to HL when you first enter Rapture... "Would you kindly pick up a crowbar or something..."

This is something that is difficult to convey to the younger generation.

Half Life was game changing. I have no doubts other games may have a better story line, but Half Life changed how we immersed ourselves into games, how the game was played, how the atmosphere was developed, etc.. Bioshock even tipped its hat to HL when you first enter Rapture... "Would you kindly pick up a crowbar or something..."

This is something that is difficult to convey to the younger generation.

Well I'm 36 and have played both games but Bioshock just had a better story IMHO.

A very underrated sotry for a FPS game was the original Medal of Honor on PS1. Loved that game...

Well I'm 36 and have played both games but Bioshock just had a better story IMHO.

Bioshock did have the better story, but the way the game is crafted owes a lot to HL. Then again, pretty much every cinematic FPS owes something to HL.

There were two eras in the FPS genre. The one before Half Life, and the one after Half Life.

I tried playing the HL2 demo last night but had to quit after about 45 minutes because I was getting really nauseous. The feeling lasted the rest of the night as well. Anyone else here get that?

I did a search to see how many others reported this and apparently it's pretty common. I've never felt motion sickness from any other game so I kept trying to ignore the feeling until I just couldn't take it anymore. It's a shame because I loved the atmosphere in "We Don't Go To Ravenholm".

Back